PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Things Coming out of Politicians' Mouths

Klynne
06-03-2004, 09:17 PM
I work for a federal agency which, amoung other things, subsidizes low income housing. I read a trade industry news letter that described a meeting that happened. The housing providers, the congressional committee, and the Secretary of the Department were all present. The Secretary was trying to defend the way the agency has spent taxpayer dollars. The jist of it was that funds meant for Section 8 renters was diverted to homeowner initiative programs, which is in line with Bush's agenda that every American should be a home owner. Which in theory is nice, but if you don't have a job, how can you own a home? This sentiment was brought up to the Secretary and he stated that "Being poor is a state of mind." Well that pivsed off the housing providers and the congressional committee. Wow, did they nail him. They suggested that he try to live in a house with a dirt floor, no running water, and rats, and see if he found being poor was a state of mind.

So, post your favorite dumb ass things that come out of politicians' mouths.

lapietra
06-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Oooo! I wish this was in the Debate Hall. Today I heard something on NPR about the average family pulling an income of $80,000 and still not being able to afford a home... I'm thinking, what part of the country are they polling? Northern California? What "average" family pulls that kind of income?

Sorry. I can't think of any stupid politician quotes right now.

funkytuba
06-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Average is as average does.

Living in Northern California, it's amazing how acclimated you can get to economic situations. We moved here from Atlanta about 4 years ago. (Note to Beale: I think this is the secret you were talking about in the monkeymail thread. I'm out now, so nyeeah nyeeah)

At first the prices seemed crazy but after 4 years of it, it's gotten into our heads and doesn't bother us... so much...

Listening to our friends in other parts of the country who are doing the same kinds of life events is a bit disheartening, though.

Audreyvgs
06-04-2004, 02:02 AM
The thing that first comes out of their mouths that starts the whole thing off, is "Yeah, I'll run for that office.."

priceyfatprude
06-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by lapietra
Today I heard something on NPR about the average family pulling an income of $80,000 and still not being able to afford a home... I'm thinking, what part of the country are they polling? Northern California? What "average" family pulls that kind of income?

Sorry. I can't think of any stupid politician quotes right now. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And that is why I don't listen to NPR.

agentsmith
06-04-2004, 03:16 AM
hmmm.....politicians make me laugh.

daverbee
06-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Several years ago, they began building a Rapid Transit system in downtown Jacksonville. It's an elevated train and was supposed to eliminate a lot of the traffic that was causing so much congestion.
Nobody used it.
In a city council meeting a couple years after completion of the first phase of the project, it was brought up that nobody was using it. One of our council members suggested that they put department store dummies in the cars to make people think it was being used and thus more people would use it.
This was the same guy who got furious when a housing development in his district was told that all homeowners in that area would have to get permits for septic tanks because they were in a flood zone.
His objection was to the fact that nobody would want to buy those houses if they knew they were in a flood zone.
He's gone now, and more's the pity. He made reading about city council meetings much more entertaining.

agentsmith
06-04-2004, 11:08 PM
sounds like my kinda guy...;)