View Full Version : Advice

Pages : [1] 2

brightpearl
07-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Leave some, ask for some.

It doesn't have to be good.

brightpearl
07-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Never wear brown shoes with a blue suit.

brightpearl
07-29-2007, 07:38 AM
If someone tells you they're too fvcked up for a relationship, you should believe them.

brightpearl
07-29-2007, 07:41 AM
do these socks go with this dress?
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/specials/realweddings/bridesmaids/silver_dress_340x490.jpg

what about this one?
http://verbazelen.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/ugly_dress.jpg

Is there ever a good time for a tiara?

brightpearl
07-29-2007, 07:48 AM
I just got a blank email from Watkins S. Valentine with an attachment. Do you think it's spam?

craig johnston
07-29-2007, 08:16 AM
here's some careers advice from the late great texan, bill hicks.
not for the easily offended:

.......---------++****++---------........ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo)

LadyCrow
07-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Don't walk naked into a pit of angry cobras. After all, there's no guarantee that something won't get bitten.

:p

Odbe
07-29-2007, 10:17 AM
do these socks go with this dress? http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/specials/realweddings/bridesmaids/silver_dress_340x490.jpg
Yes

what about this one?
http://verbazelen.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/ugly_dress.jpg
No

Is there ever a good time for a tiara?
In the last Harry Potter book.

Odbe
07-29-2007, 10:20 AM
After establishing that you are only trying to get someone back for a practical joke, do you think it's a bit over the top to hack their dead body into less than 5-inch chunks? Or should I keep it a bit larger than that?

Marcus Bales
07-29-2007, 10:46 AM
After establishing that you are only trying to get someone back for a practical joke, do you think it's a bit over the top to hack their dead body into less than 5-inch chunks? Or should I keep it a bit larger than that?

Nah, the chipper-shredder is your best bet.

what about when someone is playing music too loud too late at night? Does that justify paintballing their car?

CherishHellfire
07-29-2007, 10:56 AM
what about when someone is playing music too loud too late at night? Does that justify paintballing their car?
I don't know about the paint-balling, but it certainly justifies going to their house and getting some of what ever it is that they have, because they are apparently having a better time than you.
:)

I've been drinking coffee black for a while now, but someone gave me a container of vanilla-caramel creamer. Should I tempt fate and re-enter the 3rd circle of hell, for a little flavored coffee, or just grin and bear it?

Marcus Bales
07-29-2007, 12:23 PM
First vanilla-flavored creamer, then creme brule after dinner, then pretty soon you own a Dairy Queen and weigh 350 lbs. Up to you.

How about this: I've been listening to old Simon & Garfunkel songs and I can scarcely see through my tears to type.

Is there any help for me?

CherishHellfire
07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
How about this: I've been listening to old Simon & Garfunkel songs and I can scarcely see through my tears to type.

Is there any help for me?

Here you go hon.
http://www.ironicsans.com/images/okleenex.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u315/Lor139/Awwwoncemore.jpg

Syrup and butter on the french toast, or butter and powdered sugar w/ lemon?

craig johnston
07-29-2007, 01:06 PM
wallow in it blaes, get it out of your system, there's a good chap.

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_111/anne.gif

;)

randy
07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=brightpearl;355809]do these socks go with this dress?
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/specials/realweddings/bridesmaids/silver_dress_340x490.jpg

.jpg[/IMG]

QUOTE]

Looks like she might be getting Randy!

Anna
07-29-2007, 04:20 PM
wise men don't need it, fools don't heed it.

craig johnston
07-29-2007, 04:24 PM
where does that leave the rest of us?

:confused:

Anna
07-29-2007, 04:28 PM
it's only an advisory ;)

craig johnston
07-29-2007, 04:46 PM
imagine if you gave someone advice over the internut
and they took your advice and then it went horribly wrong.
like if you said 'you should eat more fish', cos it's healthy and
stuff, and then they did, but a bone got stuck in their throat
and they choked to death.

it would be all your fault.

so my advice is don't give any advice.

brightpearl
07-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Thread killer. :D

Anna
07-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Balderdash! Death never stopped anyone from giving advice, even to the dearly departed.

continue on...

lukkucairi
07-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Never eat anything larger than your head

- B. Kliban

auntie aubrey
07-29-2007, 06:09 PM
i have just been bitten or stung by a large unseen insect on the back of my neck. i know it wasn't a spider because it buzzed and flew. i don't want to sound like a total spaz, but let's just say there was a lot of screaming and thrashing and therefore i didn't actually lay eyes on the bug at any point.

there's a raised red welt on the back of my neck now (i can't see it myself for obvious reasons but my husband confirmed its presence) and it burns like holy fire. i've taken antihistimine and acetaminophen and i've been holding a pack of ice to it for an hour.

still, it burns. and aches. and generally feels pretty painful.

i need bug bite advice. what do i do to make it stop hurting?????

brightpearl
07-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Try meat tenderizer or baking soda made into a paste with a little water. Dab it on, and put a band-aid over it.

trisherina
07-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Gardening Advice *
--------------------

1. Always wear sunscreen and a hat for protection, even if you're just "going out to do a little weeding." Especially then.

2. Weeds teased out with a gentle but skilful tug stay gone longer than those dug out by force.

3. Leave the moss alone. There are always worse things than moss.

4. Take breaks. Go into the shade every once in a while.

5. Remember that the dirt will find its way to the lowest spot; be prepared for erosion.

6. Admire the things that you want to thrive.

7. At the end (it always ends), have a cool drink, preferably with someone who will admire your handiwork.

* none of this is about gardening

auntie aubrey
07-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Try meat tenderizer or baking soda made into a paste with a little water. Dab it on, and put a band-aid over it.

no meat tenderizer. we don't really do meat.

i did find some baking soda a few minutes ago (had to raid my bath bomb supplies) and i had the spouse apply a paste to the welt. he said the welt is almost gone BUT TELL THAT TO THE BURNING IN MY NECK!!!!!!

stupid bug.

lukkucairi
07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
try an ice pack

that always helped me. I've been stung zillions of times by all kinds of beeses and waspeses.

hornetses are the worst. those stings take three days to go away - at least for me they do.

if the burning is really bad and you can't sleep, fill a gallon jug with cold water and take it to bed (make sure it doesn't leak) - press the affected part up against the side of the jug and it'll quit burning long enough for you to get to sleep.

gallon jugs can be leaky these days. a nalgene bottle filled with ice and water works pretty well too.

this works with poison ivy rash as well.

brightpearl
07-29-2007, 08:04 PM
^Yeah, and they make my bones feel like they're buzzing..ugh. But baking soda should help. I've heard of putting a cut onion on it, too, but I've never tried it myself.

lukkucairi
07-29-2007, 08:13 PM
the bahamian remedy for a cold is to wear a slice of onion in your sock!

I have never tried this.

brightpearl
07-29-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm bored. What should we do?

I thought about starting a what to do when bored thread, but this site (http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~jimg/reading/bored.html) has so much advice that there's probably nothing to add.

My favorites are:
sterilize your stereo with Jack Daniels
Plug in the cat
factor your social security number
Visit the Architecture building...loudly criticize its design
Try to join Hell's Angels by mail

randy
07-29-2007, 10:16 PM
^Yeah, and they make my bones feel like they're buzzing..ugh. But baking soda should help. I've heard of putting a cut onion on it, too, but I've never tried it myself.
The onion needs a hamburger and tomato to work. If you are a vegatarian please use a slice of pizza.

auntie aubrey
07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
I've heard of putting a cut onion on it, too, but I've never tried it myself.

i read that but i couldn't bring myself to try it.

it now feels like a very specifically located very bad sunburn.

Jack Flanders
07-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Gardening Advice *
--------------------

1. Always wear sunscreen and a hat for protection, even if you're just "going out to do a little weeding." Especially then.

2. Weeds teased out with a gentle but skilful tug stay gone longer than those dug out by force.

3. Leave the moss alone. There are always worse things than moss.

4. Take breaks. Go into the shade every once in a while.

5. Remember that the dirt will find its way to the lowest spot; be prepared for erosion.

6. Admire the things that you want to thrive.

7. At the end (it always ends), have a cool drink, preferably with someone who will admire your handiwork.

* none of this is about gardening

(Ahem - I ain't dead, yet! I miss my old bread. :( )

Anna
07-30-2007, 01:59 AM
no meat tenderizer. we don't really do meat.
i did find some baking soda a few minutes ago (had to raid my bath bomb supplies) and i had the spouse apply a paste to the welt. he said the welt is almost gone BUT TELL THAT TO THE BURNING IN MY NECK!!!!!!
stupid bug.

hurry, quick, drink some rum!
then a little more, and a little more after that.

lukkucairi
07-30-2007, 02:17 AM
papaya extract?

pineapples are also nice and tenderizing. they digest the inside of my mouth when I eat them.

jack, you need a bread, definitely.

'scuse the lame title, but I went and made you one.

brightpearl
07-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm thinking about getting a little tattoo of a rhino. Seriously. Any advice? I'm open to anything from
don't do it -- I have a friend who's spinal cord got infected and now the government pays a nurse to feed her mashed bananas

to

keep the lines simple/complicated/realistic/black/color....

Where? Is the small of the back cliche these days? It would be easy to hide there...

How much to pay?

Will I regret it, no matter how much I think I won't?

lukkucairi
07-30-2007, 06:00 PM
think about it for six months.

if you still want it in six months, do it.

in the meantime, research your rhinos. and research your inks, and the places in town that do tattoos. there's new ink coming on the market that is easily erasable via a single laser treatment. I have two friends who were allergic to the black ink used in their tats - if you're concerned, have a test shot of the ink a week before.

small of the back? it's a pity it's a cliche because it's a decent place for a tat. not a lot of fat there, and the skin doesn't sag much as you get older. avoid areas that are affected a lot by gravity.

I got a tattoo on my shoulderblade 4 years ago - guess it's more of a statement because I can't hide it if I wear something sleeveless - but I thought about it for a decade, and decided that was where it had to go :)

I got it in brown ink - that seems to fade to a kind of reddish-purple. I didn't want black, because black fades to blue. I can't imagine ever wanting this tattoo removed, but if I did, I suspect brown ink may be easier to get rid of than black.

what you pay depends what city you're in and how large a tattoo - ask around for some local knowledge.

regrets: probably, yeah, you'll have a couple of "OMG what did I do?!" moments - but if you got the right tattoo, it'll just be your internalized mother scolding you and not a real bad "OH SHIT I just ruined my life".

tip: if you get your tattoo on your back somewhere where you can't see it all the time, you'll forget you have it after a while. It becomes much less of a big deal if it's not, say, on your forearm or ankle or neck or something.

Anna
07-30-2007, 06:04 PM
make sure they don't use car paint. If you believe in the laws of the torah or OT I wouldn't do it then either .

brightpearl
07-30-2007, 06:05 PM
I've been thinking about it for a couple of years....

Removable ink sounds good, but it might be anti- what I'm going for. I'm thinking of doing it in concert with a sort of vow thing I'll be doing soon...

Hrm. Is small of the back really cliche? It's kind of a personal thing that I don't want to explain every time I wear a tank top to the grocery store...

lukkucairi
07-30-2007, 06:31 PM
how about putting on a tank top, then looking at the skin that's covered by it - have someone take a pic of your back - and play around with the placement.

if it needs to go in the small of your back, it needs to go there and fvck anyone who thinks different :)

mine had to be on my shoulder - it was also part of a personal vow - and that was where it had to be once I'd thought about it. you'll be surprised how many people don't ask you about your tattoo even if it's visible!

still, when people see it they'll put you in the "tattooed person" pigeonhole, and kick you out of the "untattooed person" pigeonhole. but that's OK ;)

I understand the nonremovable ink thing. still, I'd recommend getting a test spot done first - allergic reactions really suck, and it ruins the artwork.

Marcus Bales
07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm thinking about getting a little tattoo of a rhino. Seriously. Any advice?

Never get a tattoo the judge or jury can see if you're wearing an orange jumpsuit.

Anna
07-30-2007, 06:36 PM
http://www.neatorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/kidstattoomaker.jpg
is it time for a spin off?

brightpearl
07-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Well, in lieu of shaving my head....yeah, it might be. :)

auntie aubrey
07-30-2007, 09:12 PM
remember that all tattoos spread over time. so even the cleanest crispest art will get soft around the edges after, say, 10 years or so. because of that make sure you don't get your heart set on something ridiculously intricate with tiny detail.

also remember that there's very little regulation over the ingredients in tattoo ink. rather, all tattoo ink is subject to regulation by the FDA, but by and large there's really not much oversight happening in the industry. for that reason make sure you go to a reputable shop. this isn't time to bargain hunt and trade quality or safety for a small discount.

visit a few shops, it's all fine and good to look at the stock art on the wall (most places hang stock art) but what you really want to see is their work binder with photos of actual work done. take your time. sit back and flip through their photos and see if you see a good consistent style. talk to the artist about what you'd like and see how engaged they are in the discussion. definitely leave after that first visit and think it over. if you feel good about what you saw at one of the shops, go back and have the work done. don't feel like you have to get it done the very first day you walk in to talk to them.

lastly, they're artists. if you pick an artist whose work you admire and he/she makes recommendations, listen to their advice. if they say it's too small, it's probably too small. if they suggest changing the angle of the design, consider their suggestion.

brightpearl
07-30-2007, 09:23 PM
^Thanks auntie. That was very helpful.

lukkucairi
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
now I want to see anti's tattoos :D

auntie aubrey
07-30-2007, 09:31 PM
not i, my friend. my husband.

lukkucairi
07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
damn, and I wanted you to turn out to be all biker chick and stuff :p

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jun2003/BikerChicks.jpg

well, maybe not quite like these biker chicks though...

auntie aubrey
07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
i used to be hardcore, but never in a permanent skin mark way.

and then i sold out and went suburban. :(

lukkucairi
07-30-2007, 09:43 PM
happens to the best of us :o

Mik
07-30-2007, 10:38 PM
... and the worst of us :p

nycwriters
07-31-2007, 12:24 AM
This always cracks me up:

http://gallery.pcapex.com/data/500/good_housekeeping1955.jpg

Jack Flanders
07-31-2007, 12:39 AM
May I say, "Fvck that?"

Tunesmith
07-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Well, in lieu of shaving my head....yeah, it might be. :)

Y'know, I've been seriously considering that, lately.

Bad idea? :confused:

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 12:58 AM
May I say, "Fvck that?"

Only if I can second you by saying, "Helz yeah!" Urgh, I can't even laugh at it...

Anna
07-31-2007, 01:06 AM
This always cracks me up:
Hey, I want one of those!

lukkucairi
07-31-2007, 01:06 AM

nah - you're young enough to carry it off - I say go fer it ;)

I won't ever shave my head for fashion purposes. when I was 17 I got chickenpox and the only ones I'd let myself squeeze were the ones on my scalp.

it probably looks like the face of the moon under there :o

p.s. the chickenpox you get on your scalp sometimes make a weird squeaky noise when you squeeze them.

take my word. you don't want to experience this yourself...

lukkucairi
07-31-2007, 01:08 AM
Hey, I want one of those!

a wife?

me too. wanna share?

CherishHellfire
07-31-2007, 01:09 AM
BP..if your not sure about getting a tattoo, I don't suggest taking a "leap", as you may not like the results. I received my first tat when I was 16, behind the tennis courts in a cloud of green smoke. I did that one myself. It infected me, now I have many tattoos. That kind of infection is good for chicks like me, but not for all.

If you do decide you would like to decorate your body, when ever you see another person who has decorated their own body ask them who they saw, where they went, and what their body art means to them. It's good to ask the decorated people in your area, so you can get pointed towards a respectable artist.

Money should never be a deciding factor in body decoration. Money will come and go, but our bodies go with us for the entire trip, this time around. :)

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 01:09 AM

Nah, I'd seriously consider it if it wouldn't put my little one in therapy. I've got really long hair and he kinda thinks of it as his own security blanket...

Think about why you're considering it, though. The last time I cut all my hair off, my then-fiance bought a sports car, and we were shortly thereafter disengaged. I felt freed up and I was trying to make the outside match the inside. He felt tied up and was trying to make the inside match the outside. Seeing your motivations clearly may help you understand something about your life, whether you buzz it off or not...

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
BP..if your not sure about getting a tattoo, I don't suggest taking a "leap", as you may not like the results.

Dunno...not liking the result might actually make it more significant...
Thanks for the advice on tats, guys. If anything keeps me from doing it, it'll prolly be moolah. :D

Marcus Bales
07-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Okay, on the condition that she posts a picture of it to the board, let's have a whip-around for Brightpearl's tat.

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 10:06 AM
I won't agree to that until I decide where I'm gonna put it!!

lukkucairi
07-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Okay, on the condition that she posts a picture of it to the board, let's have a whip-around for Brightpearl's tat.

I support this idea :)

beryl, get to figuring on the placement ;)

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
You know, this would make an excellent project in the space adventure/ green duck spirit...

:D
The Permanently Disfigure Brightpearl Project.

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 10:34 AM
excellent advice from Magnolia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ZOUkSnGk0)

Marcus Bales
07-31-2007, 10:46 AM

Nope, it's gotta be irrespective of the location or no deal.

Besides, now we all know you'd cheat anyway, and post a picture of someone else's safe tat in a safe location.

Minus 10 points. And I razor the straps on your cleats so they fall off at a particularly inopportune time, like when you're trying to snuffle the quad. That'll teach you.

craig johnston
07-31-2007, 10:58 AM

show us your potential locations.

;)

Marcus Bales
07-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Pervert. How could you even suggest such a thing. Pay no attention to him, Pearl -- send me photos of your potential locations by PM.

Capella
07-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Public flatulence is perfectly acceptable, as long as you can make it funny.

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Besides, now we all know you'd cheat anyway, and post a picture of someone else's safe tat in a safe location.

I never cheat! Perhaps I should start...

but I googled "rhinoceros/rhino tattoo", and there are only a couple of them, clearly on men and not the style I'm thinking of.

Here's a photo of a potential location for the two of you:
http://www.otan.dni.us/webfarm/emailproject/lemon2.jpg

;)

CherishHellfire
07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Google shmoogle.
Any image of a rhino that speaks to you will be the one you choose, perhaps you have already.

As for placement, may I suggest here?

http://www.umesc.usgs.gov/states/k/kentucky-state.gif

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Nice, but perhaps I should get it a little closer to home.

[QUOTE=CherishHellfire;356474]Google shmoogle.
Any image of a rhino that speaks to you will be the one you choose, perhaps you have already.[QUOTE]
Yah, I meant I there's not much on google that I could use to cheat as per Marcus' suggestion. I think I'm going to draw my own -- I did something on Ze's scribbler that came out kinda neat, so I might do a more careful version of that...
Speculation at this point, however. Gotta have enough to buy milk. :D

lukkucairi
07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Here's a photo of a potential location for the two of you:
http://www.otan.dni.us/webfarm/emailproject/lemon2.jpg

;)

is that the inside of the lemon, or the outside?

auntie aubrey
07-31-2007, 12:11 PM
May I say, "Fvck that?"

i wouldn't get too bent out of shape. snopes hasn't been able to verify that article (http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.asp).

The question here is whether the piece quoted above really came from a home economics textbook. Is it real, or is it yet another of those "look how far we've come" fabrications? We know the graphic reproduced above (supposedly from the 13 May 1955 edition of a magazine called Housekeeping Monthly) is a fabrication: It didn't first appear until well after the "How to Be a Good Wife" list had begun circulating via e-mail, and it's clearly a mock-up produced by adding the text of the e-mail around an image taken from a 1957 cover of John Bull magazine. (The image itself even bears an "Advertising Archives" legend along its side, indicating its source.) As for the text itself, nobody has turned up the infamous textbook that supposedly included these ten steps. The list is often attributed to Helen B. Andelin's book Fascinating Womanhood, first published in 1963 to provide instruction in "The Art of Winning a Man's Complete Love," but no such list appears in that work.

Marcus Bales
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey we're getting off the subject here of Brightpearl's body parts!

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 12:58 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/lions_gate_films/may/dollparts.jpg

Dorkahontas
07-31-2007, 01:02 PM
brightpearl, I have two tattoos and will soon be getting a third. The first two I got 12 years ago, and as Auntie said, the lines are getting a bit less clean, but I love them both and don't regret getting either of them. I designed them myself and asked the artist to tweak the designs as he saw fit. Both have tremendous personal significance to me and both are in spots that don't show unless I want them to (my right shoulderblade and my left hip).
I have also toyed with the idea of getting grape tattoo, so that when I'm old and wrinkled it'll be a raisin. Bwa ha.

Anna
07-31-2007, 01:21 PM
I have a whole list of reasons why I never had the desire to get a tattoo and I still don't get why people like them or would want one. Anyone want to fill me in?

Marcus Bales
07-31-2007, 01:26 PM
In my limited experience with people who get them, it seems to be two primary reasons: control over one's own body, usually because the individual finds him- or herself in circumstances where most of the control of life is in someone else's hands; or they got drunk. I know one person who got a small corporate logo on his calf on a bet with his boss that he wouldn't do it, and he got a substantial bonus.

Anna
07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
I've always associated tattoos with military service or the holocaust, then cher came along. I think my lack of desire for one is because it is permanent, unlike jewelry. I suppose it must become like a pet or some new organ or limb?

auntie aubrey
07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
i've never gotten one because i know too many people who fall out of love with theirs as time goes by. there's nothing worse than someone describing a piece of art they voluntarily permanently etched on their body in disappointed words. "yeah, i got this sun on my ankle a few years ago... i don't know, it's pretty much what i wanted but i'm not really in love with it anymore. i wish i'd done sometihng a little different."

i have enough disappointing body parts via the gift of nature. i don't need to add one more less-than-satisfying detail to my physique.

oh, and also i've found that most people i know who get one become compelled to get another... and another... and another... and another. i know very few people who get one and then never think about the process again. most people get one and they remember the rush of the pain and they want to go through it again. or the artwork comes out ALMOST like they wanted it to, but not quite, so they go back for one that they sure will be more perfectly captured.

Marcus Bales
07-31-2007, 01:45 PM
I've always associated tattoos with military service or the holocaust, then cher came along. I think my lack of desire for one is because it is permanent, unlike jewelry. I suppose it must become like a pet or some new organ or limb?

Well, of course military service is a classic example of the individual not in control of his or her life circumstances. The holocaust tattoos designed to identify prisoners, like tattoos to identify where the radiation is aimed in a hospital, are neither one even in the same realm as what we're talking about regarding voluntarily getting a tattoo!

Marcus Bales
07-31-2007, 01:48 PM
... i've found that most people i know who get one become compelled to get another... and another... and another... and another. i know very few people who get one and then never think about the process again. most people get one and they remember the rush of the pain and they want to go through it again. or the artwork comes out ALMOST like they wanted it to, but not quite, so they go back for one that they sure will be more perfectly captured.

I suspect that if you examine a more whole perspective of the life of each of those people you're talking about, you'll find that, again, the tattoos constitute pretty clearly a control issue. Not quite perfect. Gotta get it right to exercise control over what one has control over even when one has very little control in one's life.

lukkucairi
07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
In my limited experience with people who get them, it seems to be two primary reasons: control over one's own body, usually because the individual finds him- or herself in circumstances where most of the control of life is in someone else's hands; or they got drunk. I know one person who got a small corporate logo on his calf on a bet with his boss that he wouldn't do it, and he got a substantial bonus.

that's a good enough reason :p

mine is a focus point. I did it after a lot of pondering over it before I got it - a good 10 years or so.

so far I have never wanted another one. I'd feel as if I were diluting it somehow by making it share my body with another piece. I designed it myself, so that's probably part of it too. I don't want someone else's art on my body.

lukkucairi
07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
I suspect that if you examine a more whole perspective of the life of each of those people you're talking about, you'll find that, again, the tattoos constitute pretty clearly a control issue. Not quite perfect. Gotta get it right to exercise control over what one has control over even when one has very little control in one's life.

people with multiple tattoos often get them to commemorate things that happen in their lives - big changes, like death of a relative or birth of a baby or marriage, stuff like that.

I'd say that this is a kind of control issue - it's a sort of magical thinking. change is hard to deal with - we want to put handles on it somehow, make it less arbitrary feeling.

I fully acknowledge my tattoo was motivated by control issues :p

it wasn't to commemorate anything - it was a matter of self-definition, is the short answer. and a bit of magical thinking, too.

Anna
07-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Well, of course military service is a classic example of the individual not in control of his or her life circumstances. The holocaust tattoos designed to identify prisoners, like tattoos to identify where the radiation is aimed in a hospital, are neither one even in the same realm as what we're talking about regarding voluntarily getting a tattoo!

I just said that's how I've always thought of them, not trying to read anything in to it in a big way. Anchors Away, Mom or a butterfly, sounds like someone loves something and wishes to profess it to the world. Forced tattooing seems akin to branding cattle. Regardless, it doesn't bother me that people get them or even why they get them. If you're correct about the control issues, well hey, everyone has issues.

craig johnston
07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
then cher came along.

what more do you need?

please advise me:
who can you trust?

:confused:

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Giraffes.

eta Oh, and rhinos.

Stephi_B
07-31-2007, 02:48 PM
^^ yourself and people who went through some stuff together with you

craig johnston
07-31-2007, 02:51 PM
the dangers of misplaced trust in rhinos
are clear, i think.

:eek:

Dorkahontas
07-31-2007, 02:53 PM
I got my first one shortly after my father died in 1995. He always called me his "moon maiden" when I was a kid, and the tattoo is a crescent moon. Every time I look at it, I think of my father and how lucky I was to have him for as long as I did. I don't think it was a control issue at all, rather a way to commemorate him and our relationship. The other is a sister thing, and I got it in 1996--my younger sister and I are 10 1/2 months apart and were raised like twins. She was going out of state for grad school, I was moving across the country and we'd never been apart for any significant amount of time before, so we got our "sister tattoos". Sounds stupid, I'm sure, but like I said, I don't regret either of them. I don't think I ever will.

The one I'm contemplating getting is also related to my father. His nickname was Smiley, and whenever he wrote letters or signed birthday cards he always drew this odd little smiley face next to his signature. I dreamt a few weeks ago that I got that smiley face tattooed on my wrist. I just need to find the time to actually go get it done.

Stephi_B
07-31-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm thinking about getting a little tattoo of a rhino. Seriously. Any advice? I'm open to anything from
don't do it -- I have a friend who's spinal cord got infected and now the government pays a nurse to feed her mashed bananas

to

keep the lines simple/complicated/realistic/black/color....

Where? Is the small of the back cliche these days? It would be easy to hide there...

How much to pay?

Will I regret it, no matter how much I think I won't?

Cool! I like tattoos (thinking about getting one too since a while: either an infinity sign or an Ouroboros) - dunno if it's always a control issue, guess it's individual like most things people perform with their body, outfit etc.

What about putting it on your back just a bit above the bra-strap? Then you could choose whether to show it or not, even in tank top.

Yes, but think well about the motif and place you let it get done! (edit: 'place' means tattoo shop)

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 02:59 PM
the dangers of misplaced trust in rhinos
are clear, i think.

:eek:

Really? What've you heard?!?
Wouldn't have pegged you as one to gossip...:D

craig johnston
07-31-2007, 03:22 PM
can you trust anyone with a big horn?

T.I.P.
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
saxophone players are definitely not to be trusted. esp. when they play porn melodies right outside your office.

Tunesmith
07-31-2007, 03:28 PM
^ You mean funkytubes, cj?

according to pearly, no. She still has nightmares 'bout that third nipple.

Tunesmith
07-31-2007, 03:30 PM
saxophone players are definitely not to be trusted. esp. when they play porn melodies right outside your office.

terence, there's one of those at my local starbucks.

He has the unfortunate habit of trying to serenade every single woman under the age of 40 who walks past him.

It's hilarious to watch. :D

lukkucairi
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
^^ youtube, plzkthx ;)

Tunesmith
07-31-2007, 03:38 PM
totally, lukku. :D

It'll be around 2 weeks, tho. I'm on the opposite coast right now. :cool:

auntie aubrey
07-31-2007, 03:47 PM
let's dissect pearly's choice of tattoo:

the rhino as a spirit animal:

The rhinoceros is a survivor of the age of giant mammals and are basically solitary creatures. They are descendants of ancient times and bring with them the energy of comfort in ones own solitude. They teach us how to quiet a busy mind and relax within ourselves. Rhinoceros prefer their own company and know how to create and enjoy their personal space. This in itself is a powerful teaching for those that hold this medicine.

Their poor eyesight compensated by their acute hearing and sense of smell teaches those with this medicine how to sniff beneath the surface and use discrimination in all the choices they make.

This amazing animal holds the energy of spiritual idealism. In part this is due to their peaceful and timid nature. Although the rhinoceros has a reputation for being dangerous, especially the black rhino, it is generally quite passive and only becomes aggressive when threatened. It is often seen going out of its way to avoid trouble.

Spiritual idealism can be a blessing or a curse depending on how it is applied in ones life. If a persons ideals are so high that the achievement of that ideal is unattainable depression can set in. Those with this medicine should remember to stay grounded in their pursuit of spiritual growth by taking things one step at a time. Patience and perseverance are the cornerstones of this medicine.

The Rhinoceros holds the secrets of survival. It is a guardian of ancient wisdom and reminds us to tread gently on earth and respect all life. In this way spiritual idealism is attained and peace on earth is established. When you call upon the rhinoceros these ideals await your discovery.

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
^That's very interesting.
My actual reasoning must include that by definition, I suppose, but it is not only that.

And that's all I'll say publicly, though if anyone is desperate to know they can give a pm a try. :D
It's probably only interesting to me personally.

PS It has nothing to do with the size of anyone's horn, third nipples, porn sax, etc. in particular!

!!!

craig johnston
07-31-2007, 05:35 PM
PS It has nothing to do with the size of anyone's horn, third nipples, porn sax, etc. in particular!

!!!

shame

:(

lukkucairi
07-31-2007, 05:37 PM
^^ she might be lying ;)

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Lulu, you are not helping!!

All right, you've all talked me into explaining. I'm having a torrid affair with a sax playing, three-nippled rhinoceros and I'm getting a tattoo to commemorate our co-starring in a porno flick.

It's called Horn-a-Plenty: Nipple Safari on the Serengeti

Happy?

Jack Flanders
07-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Back to tattoos - I really hate needles so you'd have to totally sedate me. :o

T.I.P.
07-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Happy?

No, I was hoping for an extortion payment.

brightpearl
07-31-2007, 06:03 PM
^We'll have to call it even!

lukkucairi
07-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Back to tattoos - I really hate needles so you'd have to totally sedate me. :o

jack, it hurts like hell!

not as bad as being whipped by a stingray, but it definitely helps to be a masochist.

Jack Flanders
07-31-2007, 06:35 PM
UGH!!!! (and what's with post times/clocky thing?)

Marcus Bales
08-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Yeah, and why haven't I gotten a PM from BP showing the Potential Locations, yet, hmmmmmmmmmm?

brightpearl
08-01-2007, 01:20 AM
^No idea, I sent it hours ago.
Honest.

I'm sure if you just wait a while it'll turn up.

AAaaaaany minute now...
Yup.

Maybe you should have a cuppa while you're waiting.
http://www.sundae-cafe.com/photo/1-0f.jpg
And a sandwich
http://www.fahad.com/pics/world_most_expensive_sandwich.jpg

lukkucairi
08-01-2007, 01:50 AM
^^ the fact that that sandwich is from selfridges amuses me immensely :p

Jaime
08-01-2007, 04:22 AM
Google shmoogle.
Any image of a rhino that speaks to you will be the one you choose, perhaps you have already.

As for placement, may I suggest here?

http://www.umesc.usgs.gov/states/k/kentucky-state.gif

I'm sorry, this is off topic, but I just Googled "shmoogle", and found a Jewish version of Google, which made me smile.

And to not be completely off topic, I have some advice to youngsters:

Swearing in public does not make you sound older. It has the opposite effect.

Stephi_B
08-01-2007, 07:00 AM

Oh, means that with assassinating the pornsaxonist did not yet work out? :(

Do you need help? :)

As I just learned that they falsely filed me in the highest tax class - that's where my missing 400€ salary went - but all their hotlines are non-stop occupied - I will have to find a job for after official Feierabend to pay my bills. Well, helping out in some bar/cafe/restaurant/kebap doesn't figure cos it's semester vacations and all such jobs are occupied. At the job office they told me that for starting as newbie in prostitution I'm like 10+ years too old yet. Yes, and for that secret lab in my cellar compartment - have two left hands, but am a diplomised poisoner after all - to produce drugs and/or explosives I'd first need to organise lots of material (I don't have a car so I'd have to transport all stolen... er... organised things home from uni in an unsuspicious jute-bag - that'd take some time). So I figured out, I might work as hired killer till the rest of my salary arrives. For you as fellow monkey it would of course be free! A training case so to say. I mean a saxophon player shouldn't be too hard or? ;)

Stephi_B
08-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Yippee-yippee-yay! :D

Got through on the phone, they typed something wrong in their databank - will get the rest of my salary asap!!

But what shall I do now with this gun, which I bought (from all money I still found in the piggybank) last night from this sinister looking guy with unidentifiable accent? Any advice? ;)

brightpearl
08-01-2007, 08:30 AM
^Thank God, I was reading your post above that and wondering if you had somehow stumbled into a Terry Gilliam movie...

Marcus Bales
08-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Pretty soon someone who looks like Anna, but in a purple wig and a long scarf, will be asking to buy it from you. She's the one who's responsible for your brief sojourn as the Dragon of the East. Shoot her.

Stephi_B
08-01-2007, 08:37 AM
^ 'brief sojourn' you say?! Well, am still scrubbing off these itchy dragon scales from my body.

Purple wig and long scarf, alright - thank you for the target profile! :)

T.I.P.
08-01-2007, 08:43 AM
if a man comes to your place and asks you if Bjorn is inside and does he have the blueberry muffins, you should let him in. He know where the saxophone player lives.

There will be a hefty check in the mail if you follow through :cool:.

Stephi_B
08-01-2007, 08:44 AM
^Thank God, I was reading your post above that and wondering if you had somehow stumbled into a Terry Gilliam movie...

;)

If that should ever happen it's all the fault of the Zentrale Bezgestelle in Cottbus, commonly also known as Eastern Bermuda Triangle... all sorts of things vanish there, in most cases state employees' money :rolleyes:

Stephi_B
08-01-2007, 08:50 AM
OK, Mr T.I.P. - all understood. Your problem is virtually solved. :cool:

(Hey, this gun fits so well with my new handbag, so am gonna keep it still for a while! And big checks... who could say no? :D)

Marcus Bales
08-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, hell, then you know what to do with the body.

Stephi_B
08-01-2007, 09:12 AM
^ which body? If you mean mine, a bath in milk and honey would be fine to relax my skin from these itchy dragon scales. If you mean the body of T.I.P.'s sax player: a bath in concentrated sulphuric acid is a good thing to do, says also my 'How to become a killer' guide book.

Marcus Bales
08-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Well, ok then -- I had in mind just to lean it up against the door of the Zentrale Bezgestelle and let nature take its course, but it's all the same to me.

Stephi_B
08-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I fear, taking your method, I'd had to stuff the body's pockets either with money or income tax cards, that's the only mean to guarantee it vanishes really fast.

Marcus Bales
08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
what EV er

brightpearl
08-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Stephi has turned out to be a pornographic assassin. :eek:

Who knew?!?!

Marcus Bales
08-01-2007, 10:23 AM
And beautiful and smart and thin!

Stephi_B
08-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Stephi has turned out to be a pornographic assassin. :eek:

Who knew?!?!

Oh, and that's just today's facet :D

And beautiful and smart and thin!

All but the last item ;) But already lost one dress size over that conference and paper thingie, after am through with my thesis in spring I might be able to turn into modeling.

Marcus Bales
08-01-2007, 10:59 AM
You'll always be thin to me, darling. And with what great taste you dress! And your conversation and demeanor are charming!

Stephi_B
08-01-2007, 11:20 AM
:o

Stop it! You're even worse than our new post-doc... ;)

brightpearl
08-01-2007, 08:21 PM
A friend of mine who studied rave culture told me about these:
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006-04/glow-in-the-dark-tattoo.jpg
blacklight tattoos, not visible in regular light.

Then I could put it anywhere. Anyone have one? Is it safe, d'you reckon? Would it tan properly, if it reflects UV?

Dunno, I'm still thinking of black ink on my back...and it's still theoretical until I win the lottery...

Marcus Bales
08-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey, just want to let everyone know I got those photos from Brightpearl about location, and let me tell you all, those locations are spectacular! And they're real!

auntie aubrey
08-01-2007, 11:53 PM

i just showed this to the spouse and he was just a LITTLE too interested in the idea.

Tunesmith
08-02-2007, 03:47 AM
A friend of mine who studied rave culture told me about these:
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006-04/glow-in-the-dark-tattoo.jpg

That sounds awesome, but when are you going to be under a blacklight? You'd have to carry one around with you and whip it out whenever you wanted to show off your tattoo, which might get tedious...

Still, my male mind is thinking along the lines of auntie's husband's: WYKKID BITCHIN'.

Dunno, I'm still thinking of black ink on my back...and it's still theoretical until I win the lottery...

I propose a "Help Brightpearl Get Her Rhinoceros Tattoo" (H.B.G.H.R.T.) Fund. :cool:

l'azizza
08-02-2007, 04:08 AM
BP do you know what your rhino will look like? Do you have it in print? I never did any research when I got mine, was just second to last in a group of five of the same tattoos. I have a celtic band on the second toe of my right foot, has smeared a bit due to sweat but still looks okay. The tattoo guy had the design down by #3. If you want it, get it. And share pics.

brightpearl
08-02-2007, 07:48 AM
That sounds awesome, but when are you going to be under a blacklight?
I propose a "Help Brightpearl Get Her Rhinoceros Tattoo" (H.B.G.H.R.T.) Fund. :cool:

Well, I'm not particularly keen to show it off, though I'm not sure I want to hide it as much as UV ink would do.

And the HBGHRT has been proposed (a couple pages back), but I find the string attached to be a dealbreaker. :D

L'azz, if I do it, I"ll use my own drawing, thought I'll defer to the inker's thoughts on details. I've done a couple on Ze's scribbler that are interesting as very rough drafts. It's possible that I would post a pic -- depends on the location.

Which reminds me...I'm due in the messages thread.

Okay, well, unless someone has a blacklight tattoo and wants to offer personal experience, it's someone else's turn for advice. Thanks, everyone! I'll let you know...

brightpearl
08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
My hard drive snuffed it, and I had a new one put in, but now the monitor is displaying everything upside down. While this has been an interesting exercise in seeing the true nature of perspective, I'm ready for it to stop. Anyone know how to fix it?

brightpearl
08-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Nevermind -- it's cntrl, alt, and the up arrow! Weird!

lukkucairi
08-03-2007, 12:31 PM
so how come I can't use ctrl-alt-down arrow to turn mine upside down?

T.I.P.
08-03-2007, 01:02 PM
^ that's cuz pearly wrote her own operating system when she realized how dissatisfying all of the available ones were.

now her 'puter can sing yankee doodle (alt + ctrl + YD), dance the Twist (ctrl + shift + spacebar) and print out origami rhinos (crtl + R).

she's been working on a function for toasting bread (insert bread in cd drive and press ctrl + esc + T) but it keeps crashing her hard disk :confused:

brightpearl
08-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, it'd work, too, if I wasn't such a crummy programmer...
(ba dum bum *cymbals*)

Y'all should see what it does when you press Shift + Page Up + Insert.

Marcus Bales
08-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Y'all should see what it does when you press Shift + Page Up + Insert.

I tried it and got a surprise, I'll tell you that for free.

whoo eee! If I didn't still have those athlete reflexes, I'd be a girl now.

brightpearl
08-03-2007, 03:56 PM
^Just be glad I didn't mention Ctrl + Insert + End.

Curiosity killed the cat, you know.

Marcus Bales
08-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Well the one I want is ctrl + alt + caps lock ...

Odbe
08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
That sounds awesome, but when are you going to be under a blacklight? You'd have to carry one around with you and whip it out whenever you wanted to show off your tattoo, which might get tedious...

If you're a raver, then you are probably going to be under blacklights fairly often.

T.I.P.
10-30-2007, 05:42 PM
quick, anybody !

i need some advice:

should i add a dash of balsamic vinegar to my mushroom risotto ?

T.I.P.
10-30-2007, 05:50 PM
too late

i went ahead and added some, it's not so bad...

i wouldn't advise you to go overboard with it though

zero
10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
^apparently making risotto with one hand while toasting here with the other

one of the worst cases i've ever seen

Tunesmith
10-30-2007, 06:01 PM
^ I've posted once or twice from the kitchen, when my iPod was on the fritz and I needed my laptop for a recipe. :D

T.I.P.
10-30-2007, 06:13 PM
^apparently making risotto with one hand while toasting here with the other

one of the worst cases i've ever seen

The caption is "Getting Out of Hand":

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/getting_out_of_hand.png

replace "foreplay" with "gives you a happy"................................... ^

Tunesmith
10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
^ :D

So here's a question for the 'monkeys:

Outside, I have two gigantic pumpkins, ready to be carved up for Halloween. Usually, my kid sister and I go through an elaborate, hour-long process of sketching out the design, but the creative juices aren't flowing tonight...

Would you have any ideas for pumpkin designs? I'm open to anything, and I mean anything (we go a bit overboard, so previous carvings have included a cat in a gnarled tree, the Weezer symbol (http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/b1/4e/db21_2.JPG), and some bat-out-of-hell thing with glowing eyes). :)

funkytuba
10-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Would you have any ideas for pumpkin designs? I'm open to anything, and I mean anything

Two letters: M.C.
One word: Escher

brightpearl
10-30-2007, 06:51 PM
a pumpkin

brightpearl
10-30-2007, 06:52 PM
just kidding

Okay, for realz..
Have you looked at extremepumpkin.com for ideas? He has a very nice buggy face using smaller gourds on there, and much that is Calvin and Hobbes-esque.

Jack Flanders
10-30-2007, 08:12 PM
i screwed up. :[

Jack Flanders
10-30-2007, 08:12 PM
i thought this was really cool. might try it next year.

http://www.jdbshow.com/images/evil_pumpkin.jpg

Stephi_B
10-31-2007, 08:53 AM
^aye it is cool! :D

Brynn
12-19-2007, 06:48 AM
general advice (http://surreality.info/up/success_large.jpg)

Okay, so I need advice, but I'm too depressed about it to talk about it, and I can't talk about it anyway, mostly because I'll end up looking like a big jerk, trust me. :( So I'll take any advice about just about anything right now, especially along the lines of this:

What ceremony of words can patch the havoc?

~ Sylvia Plath

Frieda
12-19-2007, 07:43 AM
well, usually, the words "i'm really sorry" work pretty well..

everybody's a jerk sometimes, don't be too hard on yourself :)

lukkucairi
12-19-2007, 08:05 AM
it will get better with time - everything does

Stephi_B
12-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Chin up Brynn! :) It's just like Frieda & Lukku already said.

Any advice just about anything, wait let's look what my newest Gaussian 03 output file (G03 output files - better than the Oracle of Delphi ;)) has for you:

ORIGINALITY CONSISTS NOT IN SAYING WHAT NO ONE HAS EVER SAID BEFORE,
BUT IN SAYING WHAT YOU THINK YOUR SELF.

-- JAMES F. STEPHEN

trisherina
12-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Breathe in: "Everything is..." Breathe out: "As it should be."

(and remember you're owed a little slack for all the times you could have been more of a jerk but weren't)

brightpearl
01-13-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm looking to cut costs around here...I use Vonage for $30, but wonder what anybody else has used successfully for less. Yahoo Phone or Skype or something?

And I'm also thinking about ditching cable TV, which I never ever watch, wonder if anyone uses movie or tv show download sites that are cheap but good? I'll have to do something to prevent Spongebob withdrawal in my kiddo.

eta: keep in mind that technologically I am on par with the average ceramic garden gnome.

lukkucairi
01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
I like skype - it's not that hard to use, and it's free skype-to-skype. I've had good luck with it so far.

Good luck with Spongebob - does your local library lend out DVDs? That's an option too

Frieda
01-17-2008, 08:37 PM
if your ankles are small and your high boots drop down creasing around the ankles, and it doesn't feel comfy, wear leg warmers around and just above your ankles in your boots. nice and soft!

Stephi_B
02-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Dear spambots
(you are lucky to meet me in Friday mood I have to say),
you use the wrong character set for Cyrillic letters.
Having bad eyes anyways your
etc.
will make me blind, seriously!
And further you drag the Russian language, culture and everything into quite some dirt by this gibberish,
so please, please, please take some time and look for example
here (http://webdesign.about.com/od/localization/l/blhtmlcodes-ru.htm) for the correct numerical HTML codes to display the wonderful Cyrillic letters.
Then - though still spam - your threads would at least serve a certain aesthetic purpose and all.
No, of course, you don't need to listen to my advice and it may be you think me to be just a wisecracking хуй - I probably am -
but if you go on being a disgrace for Mother Russia, I'm going to write an email to Владимир Владимирович,
i.e. President Putin and point you out to him and he is not wisecracking as you may know - do you really want that?

A concerned Russophil,
xxx

YsaPur EsChomuw
02-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Dear spambots
it may be you think me to be just a wisecracking хуй - I probably am -

Why would they think you are a male organ that serves the purposes of urinary excretion (among other things)?

I've told a couple of times and let me stress it again, you are a genius and eveybody admires you for that...

flattering away now...

Stephi_B
02-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh, cos хуй is the only mat I can utter when I don't have my
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/719M980PW7L._AA240_.gif
with me. Actually I think female genitalia (as would be better fitting in my case I figure) is not that common in Russian cursing :confused:

.... and now hush in the flatter/suck up to/big-up/compliment/fawn over each other relentlessly tehrad with you! ;)

YsaPur EsChomuw
02-29-2008, 12:44 PM
It is, it is.

Пизда is the word. Or Пиздец! Concerning life in general...

Stephi_B
02-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes, that was it! *100W bulb going on*

Mmh, nobody has called me a пизда yet though - I'm just way too nice, that's пиздец sometimes ;)

Marcus Bales
02-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Welp, Hoyt stole my airline ticket to see YsaPur, and then Veruki stood me up at the bar. What do you suggest?

Veruki
02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I suggest you quit crying and get in there... I'm here now.

Marcus Bales
02-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Where do you think I'm posting this from? You've clearly taken one look at the bald fat nerdy guy typing away at the laptop in the corner and have decided to mock me from afar.

Veruki
02-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I must be drunk...

Marcus Bales
02-29-2008, 04:51 PM
You are if you think I'm dark and handsome!

Angry Kid Hoyt
02-29-2008, 05:25 PM
http://www.jimmyakin.org/images/the_albino.jpg

It is all about perspective, Marcs.
I'll bet you are dark and handsome...relative to this fellow.

Veruki
02-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I can see why you got the surgery.

Marcus Bales
02-29-2008, 05:32 PM
You're kindness personified, Hoyt. Now take your, um, pipe and go frighten someone else.

Veruki
02-29-2008, 05:34 PM
^Your defending me?? I think this is moving rather quickly, I won't have to call you my knight in shining armor will I?

Marcus Bales
02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Ok, I need some advice: when a woman says "I won't have to call you my knight in shining armor will I?" is she looking for a yes or no?

Veruki
02-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Say no but be one anyways....can we got see the cats now.

Marcus Bales
02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
No. Off to Key West, and the Idea of Order. We'll avoid the high-toned old Christian woman, though, k?

Veruki
02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Why doesn't she like drinking?

Marcus Bales
02-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Frayed knot -- that's why we're avoiding her. I'll just pay the bill and off we go.

Veruki
02-29-2008, 05:56 PM
:::excitedly waits:::

Marcus Bales
02-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Stagger to your feet, and let me hold your wrap for you. Careful!

Veruki
02-29-2008, 06:04 PM
where are we going again? ::stumbles:: Oh Key West to meet with Stevens, has he been waiting long?

Marcus Bales
02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Only since 1965 or so -- he'll wait as long as we need him to. This way to the G4, my dear. We'll be there shortly.

brightpearl
02-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Oh, cos хуй is the only mat I can utter...

Пизда is the word. Or Пиздец! Concerning life in general...

AAAaaiiighghghghhg!
My eyes!!

http://www.herloyalsons.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/ralphie_soap.jpg

Stephi_B
03-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Mmmmh... you bought me the strawberry soap this time Perla.... mmmh... *bubble* *bubble* *bubble*

Marcus Bales
03-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Should I go shovel snow now, or stay here posting on the Zefrank board?

lukkucairi
03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
stay here posting, but invest in a snowblower for next year.

Frieda
03-19-2008, 08:39 PM
i'd like some advice on what to buy for my cousin's hubby's 29th birthday

he celebrates his birthday saturday night :eek: :eek: :eek: what to buy?? :confused:

your kind assistance in this matter would be highly appreciated :)

topcat
03-20-2008, 01:51 AM
a scarf

zero
03-20-2008, 12:43 PM
... what to buy for my cousin's hubby's 29th birthday

please may you provide any more info that might help us to come up with ideas?

YsaPur EsChomuw
03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
A bottle of Baileys

Stephi_B
03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
a wordly bath pillow (http://www.design-3000.de/oxid.php/sid/bc55fd53fffeb03f523bf877d6a0dab7/cl/details/cnid/02d733834c080120c0f3e293a77b62da/anid/c6b47b2f373005a06.52349662/tpl/-/lang/1/listtype/list) for 8 Eurozoids

Frieda
03-20-2008, 08:32 PM
^ oooh neat website! :eek:

i love this thing: captain memo board (http://www.design-3000.de/oxid.php/sid/335e3cd969f96f76b8342841a6048c4b/cl/details/cnid/b472c4dc5556422b292d950188fb75a9/anid/5710/CAPTAIN-MEMO-BOARD-016A/)

actually, i love lots on there.... must force myself to look for a gift for him. not for myself. :eek:

he's no scarf type-- not into baileys (my cousin is though)-- and they don't have a bath! :eek:

i think i'm going to call my cousin tomorrow.. :o

Stephi_B
03-21-2008, 05:24 PM
^Yes that one is cool (for "him", eh? ;)), haven't seen it. Oh, he can also use the pillow on the beach / at the pool.
But yes, they have neat things :D (not to tempt you, but delivery costs quite something, so it should be rentable if you let yourself send something(s)... oh, I shut up now, it's end o'the month, and not that I tempt myself either :D)

brightpearl
03-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I think you should get him something out of the meat section on Archie McPhee (http://www.mcphee.com/).

Perhaps this lovely gummy haggis.
http://www.mcphee.com/pixlarge/11753.jpg

It's butterscotch flavored. Of course.

Frieda
03-22-2008, 07:34 AM
yeahhhh only orders over 50 dollars for international shipping.. plus shipping & customs taxes.. :(

i'd buy the whole archie mc phee store if they were located in europe!

my cousin's hubby is going to get donald duck pocket books for his collection. my cousin says he always asks for them but never gets them, so it's going to be that! :)

Stephi_B
03-22-2008, 09:37 AM
^That's the major drawback :( - they should be nicer to abroadie customers!

Yes, that sounds the perfect gift! :)
(Btw why in three devils' name did I give my DD collection to my baby bro?!)

Frieda
05-05-2008, 02:09 PM
i would like advice on the following--

my company wants me to drive a hybrid car, my company lease plan category says it would be a honda civic hybrid.

right now, i drive a 2nd-hand renault clio from the company lease pool because it's not so ridiculously expensive (only 200 euros a month, it's a 14000 euro car on petrol). it's similar to this one (http://www.renault.nl/vo/search/vo/Detail.action?detail=&_sourcePage=%2Foccasions%2Fsearch-your-vehicle%2Findex.jsp&sessionLimit=true&detailPageUrl=%2Foccasions%2Fsearch-your-vehicle%2Fdetails.jsp&idvo=290071).

the honda is about the same price because it's in the lower 14% tax tariff being a hybrid and all (it costs 23000 euros). the honda will cost me about 240 euros a month. it's bigger (huge compared to the clio), probably better too but i think it looks boring and is way too big for me:
http://www3.honda.nl/globalimages/extcol/modv917/col_civic_hybrid_neutron_blue.jpg
http://www.honda.nl/media/civic_hybrid.jpg

and ohhh what i'd really like-- to pick out and lease a new clio, but it would have to be a diesel because i drive more than 25000 km a year. diesels are expensive so that would make the car over 25000 euros.. that's 400 euros a month! this last option is what i really want but i can't afford it yet.:( here's the car i really want:
http://www.renault.nl/img/carc/cl31/color3/vnmcfg1cl31teb76.jpg

what do you think?? should i go for the bigger civic hybrid or keep driving the old clio until i make more money?? :confused:

brightpearl
05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I drove a 2005 Honda Civic for a while, and I loved it, but the cars here are so different...In the US, the Civic seems positively tiny and and very cute in comparison to the average behemoth vehicle.

I guess I would say to keep driving the Clio, if it suits you well, unless you think your company will think you're not a "team player" if you don't do the hybrid thing. Are you very likely to be making more money in the next couple of years? I mean, are you happy to wait on a new car because the diesel Clio is on the horizon soon?

Frieda
05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
^ i'm pretty sure the clio i drive now fits inside the cabin of a ram van yeah.. :D

the company isn't forcing me to take the hybrid.. i can still choose.. but they do want me to get out of the silver petit-four (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit-four) (that's what my boss calls my clio) because a newer car would look more decent to the customers or something. i'll probably grow in salary-- i think 2 more years till i can afford my red growling clio.

i think i'm going to test drive the honda next week and see if i can look over the steering wheel.. and if i can manage to parallel park it easily.. parking space is rare here in the crowded NLs so i'll have to be able to squeeze it into the tiniest spot!

did you also drive the hybrid honda? or a regular type?

brightpearl
05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
After further reflection I feel you should blow the money on crocheted owls.
http://blog.craftzine.com/owls.gif

eta: I *wish* it was a hybrid, but it was regular.

and testdriving should help you decide.

Brynn
05-25-2008, 03:35 AM
You who have not given your dog a bath recently, it's time to give your dog a bath.

monkeyknifightz
08-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Ingenious creative, ORIGINAL, high school prank for a school of nerds?

I was thinking leaving a blood splatter with blood trails leading to a big box of candy.

lukkucairi
08-01-2008, 05:34 PM
hm, like Carrie, only more fattening?

monkeyknifightz
08-02-2008, 04:25 PM
How do you comfort an old beaten down man with Alzheimer's whose strongest childhood memory is shooting his mom up with morphine so she could hang on to her last year of life?

MoJoRiSin
08-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Look at it this way, at lest people on morphine are calm as opposed to mothers who are drunk.....as far as the Alzheimer's, the only thing I can think to say is: too bad she did not have access to a computer/zefrank message board to keep her ming sharp.

lukkucairi
08-02-2008, 05:36 PM
How do you comfort an old beaten down man with Alzheimer's whose strongest childhood memory is shooting his mom up with morphine so she could hang on to her last year of life?

unfortunately he's in charge and you're only along for the ride, dawg. I lost my father, father-in-law, and grandmother to various forms of amyloid plaque dementia - and my aunt was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's too. there's no way around it - it sucks.

you have to play it by ear - above all don't take anything he says personally, and don't be afraid to try different kinds of communication (vocal, physical, visual). as the mind fails, what's effective changes - and each day is different.

if you're a primary caregiver (or even just around the guy with some frequency) don't forget to take some time out to decompress yourself. dealing with the senile demented will wring you out and leave you dry.

keep your eyes open and you'll see the openings when they happen, though with the old and crusty and male there's a thick, thick shell. be patient.

with my father, we had a gift of the three months or so before he died - he'd been an asshole for years (knowing he was going insane, and keeping that knowledge to himself made him act like a complete shit) - but when he finally relaxed into the reality that he'd lost his mind and that he was going to die of it, he turned into a total teddy bear. I was taken entirely by surprise.

you have my empathy. good luck.

lukkucairi
08-02-2008, 05:38 PM
too bad she did not have access to a computer/zefrank message board to keep her ming sharp.

what do you know about anyone's ming here? :mad:

minger...

MoJoRiSin
08-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Ming Dynasty
it should read to keep "her Ming Dynasty sharp"
sorry

monkeyknifightz
08-08-2008, 03:01 AM
6 months with the girlfriend here in a couple weeks and im at a loss with what i should make for her. HALPP

brightpearl
08-08-2008, 12:49 PM
A CD mix of course.
I'm sure you'll want to include a few selections from this (http://www.parishilton.com/).
You can really hear Bob Marley's influence.

brightpearl
08-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm still thinking of getting that rhinoceros tattoo.
But also I've realized that getting one wouldn't give me something I haven't already got, hahahaha.

MoJoRiSin
08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
monkeyknifightz, you could "whittle" her something
or make her a sailor's valentine
or make her a poster collage out of magazine pages on thin plywood with flowers and hearts and notes of kind wishes then shellac it (mod podge?)
you could make her a coupon book with all sorts of nice things you will do for her....
you know --when she redeems them

http://www.ugallery.com/webdata/Product/898/Images/Large_ShellShock.jpg

monkeyknifightz
08-09-2008, 04:05 AM
monkeyknifightz, you could "whittle" her something
or make her a sailor's valentine
or make her a poster collage out of magazine pages on thin plywood with flowers and hearts and notes of kind wishes then shellac it (mod podge?)
you could make her a coupon book with all sorts of nice things you will do for her....
you know --when she redeems them

http://www.ugallery.com/webdata/Product/898/Images/Large_ShellShock.jpg

i love you, you have no idea, sailors valentine is perfect

MoJoRiSin
08-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Heads up MKF..........
If you are thinking to buy her this book
be aware there is on one page a photo of a sailors valentine
made with an old photo in the middle
and if you look closely it is a woman
(flapper?) with 2 completely naked men
one on each side.
The book tells how the
sailors bought these
from the island women and brought back to the US for their sweeties??
huh? ((think about that for 2 seconds))
something tells me these sailors were up to
mischief...
so, to me, it is filling that there is a picture of a woman in the book
with two fellows
even if they (all 3) look like circus performers.
The book used to be available at Amazon here in the US
............perhaps it was banned ?? ;)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21HFWD4RVGL._SL500_AA180_.jpg

MoJoRiSin
08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
I searched again, and this time I found it!
And -I stand corrected as far as the story goes ~"~
----
Editorial Reviews
Product Description
The story of Sailors' Valentines evokes romance-majestic sailing ships and long sea voyages, adventures in the New World, and daydreams of loved ones across wide oceans. It has been said that sailors made the Valentines at sea for cherished friends and family to pass the time and to bestow as gifts upon their return.

Very rare and highly collectible, Sailors' Valentines are octagonal wooden boxes made of Spanish cedar or mahogany. They contain intricate, stunning mosaics made primarily of colorful shells and often incorporate sentimental messages. The mosaics are covered in glass and often hinged together in pairs. When closed, the shell work is hidden and the glass protected so that the Valentines can be stored safely for travel. Now fetching extraordinary prices at auction and antiques fairs-as much as $35,000-they were actually made by craftsmen at the height of the Victorian Age in Barbados, a familiar port of call for many American and European ships.

Now, for the first time ever, these highly prized and rarely seen antiques are presented at almost life size in this innovative and stunning package that mirrors the shape of an actual Valentine. Here are over fifty magnificent examples, photographed especially for this book and beautifully reproduced in detail. Page after page, this octagonal volume, which comes in a deluxe cloth keepsake box, captures the experience of holding one of these magnificent treasures in your hands. Avid collector John Fondas shares his expertise on the history, making, and collecting of Valentines in his introductory essay as well as provides a detailed listing of the shells used in their construction.
A collectible itself, Sailors' Valentines will delight shell collectors, antiques lovers, Victoriana fans, and romantics of all ages.

About the Author
John Fondas is a professional jeweler with an active interest in eighteenth-, nineteenth-, and twentieth-century shell work and jewelry. An avid collector of Sailors' Valentines for many years, he is currently at work on a book on nineteenth- and twentieth-century jewelry. He divides his time between Nassau and Harbor Island in the Bahamas, where he sits on the newly-formed government board of antiquities and monuments.
source::
copy and pasted from here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0847824144/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

Brynn
08-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Monkeyknife - as far as dealing with that Alzheimer's - remember above all else to try to keep your sense of humor. This might sound horrible, but if you can do it with affection, it's perfectly okay (once you've left his presence) to laugh at him behind his back with other loved ones - it will keep you sane, trust me. It's one of the cruelest diseases out there, it sucks, but you can do it. Accepting him for who he is right now is the best - and only - thing you can do.

My grandmother in her later stages really enjoyed the pop-out "surprise" toys - jack in the box, can o'worms, joy buzzers, you name it - she had been brilliant (she was actually one of the group of high-IQ Stanford babies that they tracked for research purposes for most of her life), but it all became very basic for her - a real gold fish mentality. You could tell her the same jokes over and over and she'd crack up every time, so it was convenient not to have to find new jokes. It could actually be hilarious, and that became pretty important after a while. We did, however, deeply regret giving her the animatronic singing fish, and so did the hospital staff. "Take me to da river, drop me in da water" the whole fvcking day long...:rolleyes:

Brynn
08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm still thinking of getting that rhinoceros tattoo.
But also I've realized that getting one wouldn't give me something I haven't already got, hahahaha.

Say, I need advice!
I'm going to be in S.F. performing in the Fringe Festival ("Moon Fable") the first week in September and will be driving down from Portland. Does anyone know of a decent cheap hostel and about how much it would cost to park a car each day in the city ( I heard it could be as much as $30 a day)? I was assured that all of this would be taken care of by production, and am now being informed that nothing has been done, funding has fallen through, and I'm on my own. Oh, and it's all coming out of my own pocket, we're so so sorry.
I think I can do it, and don't want to let down other cast members, plus, I'd really really like to be a part of it all anyway. Am I insane?
The best i can manage is a place to stay at a friend of a friend of a friend's in Alameda - about thirty minutes and a ferry ride away, then transportation by BART. Is this realistic? I don't want to be walking an additional hour to wherever i need to go in a city I'm not familiar with.
Would I be better off eating parking costs, which I don't think I can afford anyway?

lukkucairi
09-03-2008, 06:36 PM
wish I could help you Brynnie, but SF area is out of my ken :o

I'm trying to learn to plan long and acquire patience.

any advice for those with a congenitally short fuse and shallow view?

Jack Flanders
09-04-2008, 01:05 AM
The short fuse
And shallow view
All will come back to you. JF :D

- Listen to others even though they bore you.
- Smile -Listen - Nod -Bite your tongue
- Question them about them
- Repeat until you bleed
- Leave

lukkucairi
09-04-2008, 01:33 AM
The short fuse
And shallow view
All will come back to you. JF :D

- Listen to others even though they bore you.
- Smile -Listen - Nod -Bite your tongue
- Question them about them
- Repeat until you bleed
- Leave

getting used to the taste of my own blood, Jack

Frieda
09-04-2008, 12:20 PM
i have a big box of more than 40 VHS video tapes. apparently nobody wants them so i can't sell them, any good ideas?

so, i thought of crocheting handbags out of the tape but a hungover viking told me that's been done before and therefore not interesting, plus, there aren't big enough nerds around to buy one.

good ideas anyone?? :confused:

MoJoRiSin
09-04-2008, 12:39 PM
good question! I was thinking if we all chipped in (and used them for bricks) we could build Ze a small cottage : )
WHICH HE DESERVES!

.......aka Basho ; )

Frieda
09-04-2008, 12:42 PM
40 tapes makes a really small cottage

more like a dollhouse

MoJoRiSin
09-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Well when I said we all would chip in I meant our
VHS Video Cassettes
as well as
our time and
.no trouble

Frieda
09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
ohh
well do you have any then?

MoJoRiSin
09-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I am the mother of a 15 yo
born in 1993
here in the US
I bet if I asked all of the 15yo
in our small town to donate their old
worthless

ones
we would have at least a million.

Frieda
09-04-2008, 12:51 PM

maybe we can build an apartment building for the whole zeboard :D

MoJoRiSin
09-04-2008, 01:06 PM
^;)
yes and if that got old we could rent it out and go on tour with a rok and roll band. (<not an original idea)

Frieda
09-04-2008, 01:11 PM
^a cool idea though
i'm all for it

maybe we can do both actually-- like a vhs camper kind of thing

YsaPur EsChomuw
09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
or maybe lukku could make something from them and burn it next year

Frieda
09-04-2008, 01:17 PM
i think they're too toxic for that.. would be nice though :)

Stephi_B
09-04-2008, 01:30 PM
^Pffft toxic, I got a license for toxics, so I burn the thing & you other pyrippies stand back & mind your gas masks are on.... :D

The non-toxic idea: You could make a curtain out of them. You cut strips from it, maybe of different lengths & dunno connect them with small plastic/metal rings.
Oh and if you got really good films on VHS keep them for me, I still have a VHS recorder.... yes, I still have a VHS recorder :o ....

Frieda
09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
you're about 10 days late with mentioning that :rolleyes:

i hope you like arnold schwarzenegger :p red sonia is my favorite

YsaPur EsChomuw
09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
You could make a curtain out of them.

Even clothes! - if you're not allergic. A nice dress to surprise your boss who didn't like the idea of crocheting a handbag.

Stephi_B
09-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh, erm OK, Red Sonia will do.... :)
(memo to myself: put DVD recorder on to-buy-when-more-liquid-list)

Frieda
oh but the viking isn't my boss. he only thinks he is. my boss is a savage brit!

i wish i knew how to crochet

Frieda
it's my only wish

Frieda
i swear!

brightpearl
09-06-2008, 03:36 AM
I can teach you!!
Actually, I'm sure you can teach yourself. There are lots of good tutorials online, even videos on youtube so you can see how to pull the thread through...
Sometimes I use those for European or unusual stitches that my grandmother didn't cover. :D

eta:
Then you can make yourself a Vlad the Impaler hat (http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/lugh08/tepes.htm).

brightpearl
10-08-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm considering telling my friend about this dream (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showpost.php?p=388802&postcount=162). It's been bugging me for months.

I feel like it's silly, and too personal even if it wasn't silly, but the what-if is gnawing away. It's just that it might offer some comfort to a situation that's painful for him.

?

Should I?
How would one approach explaining it when you aren't sure whether the person believes in such things, and are not even sure if you do yourself?

I've had 2 other similar dreams, with messages for people I am closer to and who I knew believed in spiritual contact, and those were easier to convey. They also rang true for the messaged person, and provided some comfort.

So I dunno.
But it's bugging me.

Frieda
10-09-2008, 04:18 AM
why is it bugging you? is silliness the right word for why it's bugging you?

brightpearl
10-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Hmmm. My "rational" everyday mind is the one that says it was just a dream, nothing to attribute meaning to, and that my friend is likely of similar mind.

It's bugging me because I feel I may be obligated to pass it on whether it's accepted or not.

I'm of two minds about it, I guess.

I tend toward great skepticism in such matters, or at least I have historically, but I've become more open to the possibility in recent years, and I am still conflicted.