PDA

View Full Version : olympics beijing 2008

Frieda
08-09-2008, 12:42 PM
the olympics-- are you watching? are you boycotting?
if you're watching, what's your favorite sport to watch? any predictions for medals? :)

i found out that i know 2 people at the olympics-- the goalkeep from the women's hockey team a triathlete. both were in my class at high school. i'm a bit proud :)

on my list to watch are swimming, diving, athletics, boxing, the martial arts sports and football. and everything else that's on and catches my eye of course.. maybe even synchronized swimming :D

MoJoRiSin
08-09-2008, 12:46 PM
...yes and while we watch the synchronized swimming and diving on the tube our boyfriends/husbands are waiting on us hand and foot ;)

MoJoRiSin
08-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry Frieda, I should have posted that under 'random' or
'mo's posts'... That is so cool that two of your high school classmates are there! What is the probability of that?!!
I am definitely going to watch the diving and martial arts....
Did anyone see the Tai Chi performed in the opening ceremony? It was so awesome, I can't get over how beautiful tit was...

MoJoRiSin
08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
beautiful IT was sheesh.... ~"~

Frieda
08-09-2008, 01:01 PM
no it's fine mojo :)

i didn't see the opening, i was at work and i forgot to watch it when they repeated it on tv :rolleyes: i saw bits of some people "painting" in sand, and people walking on an enormous globe, that looked amazing!

oh and i know about my classmates, it's amazing isn't it? i knew about the girl, she's been on the dutch hockey team for ages.. but the triathlete, he qualified for the first time this year. i remember he was always busy training and everything, swimming ridiculous distances in open water.. and i was just smoking my ciggies behind the school :rolleyes:

YsaPur EsChomuw
08-09-2008, 01:36 PM
My favourite ones are those connected with water: swimming, rowing, canoe, kayak, water polo - naturally I keep my fingers crossed for the Hungarian team.

As I'm still lying in bed with nothing to do I find myself watching pretty much everything, for example cycling, gymnastics and judo. My complete lack of knowledge about the rules of the latter doesn't prevent me from getting all excited about it.

The reporters use all these special words I've never heard (in my mother tongue!) - I feel enthralled and mystified; a little bit a child again when I didn't understand the majority of events going on around me.

Frieda
08-09-2008, 02:05 PM
you're in bed? you're not sick are you? or just lazy?

YsaPur EsChomuw
08-10-2008, 01:12 AM
both :o

Frieda
08-10-2008, 06:55 AM
aw.. well i hope you feel just lazy very soon! :);)

Brynn
08-10-2008, 12:59 PM
I've been forgetting to turn them on, but I saw "our" girl from a nearby suburb win the gold in saber, and Michael Phelps swim to his first gold (he's really fun to watch), and for me, any of the women's volleyball has been mesmerizing.

I'm really bummed that I completely and totally missed the opening ceremonies, and now all I see are the amazing snippets in the Visa commercials :( . Apart from waiting for someone to download them piecemeal onto YouTube, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to find that broadcast in its entirety? I've checked the MSNBC and NBC sites, but nothing satisfying.

Frieda
08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
there's a version from an australian broadcaster on usenet, but i think it's illegal for you to download in the usa. everything on youtube gets taken down pretty fast :(

YsaPur EsChomuw
08-10-2008, 02:08 PM
The Chinese-American men's basketball game was quite good, too.

YsaPur EsChomuw
08-11-2008, 02:17 AM
mind-bogging freestyle relay!

trisherina
08-11-2008, 02:38 AM
Men's gymnastics were fabulously entertaining. Very absorbing. Gasp-worthy, even.

MoJoRiSin
08-11-2008, 03:04 AM
Here is a great photo of the men's gymnastics (photo#1)::

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/gallery/2008/olympics/flash.htm?gid=639&aid=3124

YsaPur EsChomuw
08-13-2008, 12:31 AM
almost 5 seconds better than the previous world record?! Unbelievable... :eek: