ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   GOOD READING (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   John Steinbeck (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=9226)

Klynne 02-08-2006 01:24 AM

John Steinbeck

I just love his books. I really can't express it, but I will try.

There is so much hurt and tragedy in his stories, yet, there is a sense of hope, humor, and true friendship.

And I think these feelings are timeless. Just loves my Mr. JS.

afishlikeme 03-05-2006 06:43 PM

I read of mice and men and saw the video during school. A little while later I saw the film Green Mile. There are quite a few similarities between the book and both films.

karma_queen 03-07-2006 07:41 PM

i adore the grapes of wrath

beckstra 03-27-2006 11:45 PM

I had an affair with Steinbeck once. It ended up I only liked him for his ability to write.

It was very one-sided.

RonPrice 01-05-2007 04:34 AM

A Bit of John Steinbeck Geneology

I first read a Steinbeck book back in 1961 at high school...I came across some information about his grandparents back in the 1850s and I post it here in the form of a prose-poem:
++++++++++++++++++++++

MISSED HIM BY A HAIR

In the 1850s the American writer John Steinbeck's grandfather, Johann Steinbeck, left Germany to live in Palestine. He married a woman of American descent Almira Dickson in 1854. In 1858 he and his wife returned to the United States. They had gone to Palestine as part of the Protestant millennial enthusiasms regarding the Second Coming. Johann Steinbeck and his wife, Almira, chose to live in Florida where their third son, John Ernst, the father of John Steinbeck was born. Johann enlisted in the Civil War and afterward the family moved to Massachusetts to be near Almira’s family. Ten years later they tried their luck in the West and settled in California. There John Ernst married and in 1902 a son was born to him. He was the now famous writer, John Steinbeck. -Ron Price with thanks to Yaron Perry, "John Steinbeck's Roots in Nineteenth Century Palestine," Steinbeck Studies, Vol.15, No.1, 2004.

They missed Him by a hair, John.
They really had no idea how to look
at the true meaning of prophecy.
Well, they had some idea, nearly
died trying amidst the violence,
the heat, the pain and suffering.

They believed He would come
like a thief in the night and so
He did at the same time they
were nestling in Palestine--
the first intimations of that
Revelation when He was like
a man asleep and He was taught
all that was and all that would be.
This was not from Him but from
Someone Who was Almighty and
All-knowing and He bid Him lift
up His voice--and He did while
they were hoping and believing--
He would come!

Ron Price
5 January 2007

Avalon 01-05-2007 09:37 AM

Oy Vey A new year, a new RonPrice Post. :rolleyes:

Of Mice and Men breaks my heart every time. Both film versions are good, but the written word is both beautiful and heart wrenching.