ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   daily wisdom (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=5243)

12"razormix 06-28-2004 01:11 AM

daily wisdom

if the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it :)

there is so much wisdom on this board! continue ...

lapietra 06-28-2004 01:12 AM

:p

Bouncing Hearts

sparticle 06-28-2004 01:24 AM

Re: daily wisdom

Quote:

Originally posted by 12"razormix
if the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it :)

there is so much wisdom on this board! continue ...

There's a lot of thinly veiled hostility and caustic sarcasm too. I guess you just have to know where to look.

masterofNone 06-28-2004 01:36 AM

who the feck are all these shadow puppets with bad attitudes?

sparticle 06-28-2004 01:47 AM

I don't know about everyone else, nor do I presume to speak for anyone else, but I'm getting a little tired of the ho-hum, "aren't we clever", effete, minimalist school of sarcastic, caustic, non-constructive humor that seems to spring forth around here on occasion. Maybe it's just me. People who can't be bothered with punctuation, capitalization or proper names don't bother me (and even if they did, so what?), but people who can't be bothered with consideration for others, basic kindness or empathy are tiresome, dull and at least as boring as the people they like to mock.

Since there has been an internet, there have been trolls, in message boards, newsgroups and chatrooms. I don't understand trolls. They seem to be happiest when they are making other people unhappy, causing contention and anger. Some of them seem fairly intelligent, and yet that intelligence never seems to be applied in a constructive fashion, at least not in terms of how they relate to their fellows.

General characteristics of a troll: they smirk, they insult, they are snide, smug and snotty and never so happy as when they are pissing in somebody else's punch bowl. But they never seem to contribute anything more original than a smarmy, hostile remark calculated to upset people.

I wonder who they are when they are not online. Are they unpopular and unlikeable people who keep to themselves because they have no social skills? Or are they the kinds of people who would be ashamed for their real-life aquaintances to know how boorish their online behavior is? Are they such losers in real life that the only way they can unload their anger is to insult a bunch of virtual strangers?

Well, we'll never know, and probably shouldn't care. Best medicine for a troll is to ignore them. Like most parasites, if the host cuts off their food supply, they fall away pretty quickly, being incapable of generating their own sustenance.

Note to self: Do Not Feed The Trolls. They can't hurt you unless you give them permission.

trisherina 06-28-2004 01:52 AM

(checks calendar)

Deviate 06-28-2004 01:53 AM

um, wow. < looking around for reference >

sparticle 06-28-2004 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by trisherina
(checks calendar)

Close enough....

trisherina 06-28-2004 02:13 AM

Naw, I was thinking more along the lines of I'm getting that reading-the-zeboard-last-summer feeling. The similarities are in my head and my home as much as here.

nycwriters 06-28-2004 02:16 AM

Yeah I always seem to wind up in the middle of a shit storm when I'm at a low point. Serves me right I suppose for sharing something personal.

masterofNone 06-28-2004 02:20 AM

it's something about june. maybe the summer solstice brings it out.

Audreyvgs 06-28-2004 02:23 AM

How can you get lower than zero? OOOO! That's how!

madasacutsnake 06-28-2004 02:33 AM

*passes Sparty the Bex and suggests a good lie down*

sparticle 06-28-2004 02:42 AM

BEX? Broadband Exchange? :)

madasacutsnake 06-28-2004 02:50 AM

JOJOJOJ will go search for pic of Bex

Audreyvgs 06-28-2004 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Audreyvgs on the heart/sleeve thread
I think zero underestimates the solidarity between some members of this group. There is a definite sense of community that zero and 12"razormix have absolutely no chance of either understanding or sharing. ta ta!

madasacutsnake 06-28-2004 02:58 AM

OK can't find the pic I want so:

Bex = aspirin. 1950's ad with the slogan "Have a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down". Showed a Far from Heaven lady of the house filling up with what was probably valium but was meant to be aspirin before heading for the bed for a good lie down after a hard day brushing the dog. You get the pic. "Have a Bex and a good lie down" has fallen into colloquial use here.

Here's some links:

bex

bex

trisherina 06-28-2004 03:09 AM

Dammit, I need a Bex and a good liedown!
Becks:

Or maybe I'll cheat a bit:

Please tell me I can take two.

sparticle 06-28-2004 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by madasacutsnake
OK can't find the pic I want so:

Bex = aspirin. 1950's ad with the slogan "Have a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down". Showed a Far from Heaven lady of the house filling up with what was probably valium but was meant to be aspirin before heading for the bed for a good lie down after a hard day brushing the dog. You get the pic. "Have a Bex and a good lie down" has fallen into colloquial use here.

Here's some links:

bex

bex

heh -- LOL! Thanks. ;)

I kinda like trisherina's idea, too! :cool:

zero 06-28-2004 07:12 AM

thank god for that. for a moment there I thought we were in trouble.

Clytie 06-28-2004 10:23 AM

can i have a bex too? :) i have a toothache...im sure they are good for that too.

daverbee 06-28-2004 11:19 AM

Wisdom:

You can't squeeze cheese from a goat before it's hatched.
Ren and Stimpy

sparticle 06-28-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zero
thank god for that. for a moment there I thought we were in trouble.
Don't even think about joking around with me until you apologize to NYC.

You still can, you know. Nobody is all bad. Sometimes people do and say stupid stuff they don't mean. It's not a disgrace to say sorry when you've been mean.

But don't talk to/at/about me until you do.

nycwriters 06-28-2004 02:15 PM

It's OK Spart. Really.

Some people just don't like me, and that's fine. I was actually surprised it took this long.

I'd hate to see you get towed under in this undercurrent. It's not worth it.

Clytie 06-28-2004 02:18 PM

whoa NYC thats some major negativity...

balance your chee love *hovers over her desk at work sitting crosslegged midair*

sparticle 06-28-2004 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nycwriters
It's OK Spart. Really.

Some people just don't like me, and that's fine. I was actually surprised it took this long.

I'd hate to see you get towed under in this undercurrent. It's not worth it.

I'm not usually one to get caught up in a message board fracas (usually I take the attitude of Alice in Wonderland -- "Why, you're nothing but pack of cards!" -- LOL), but that remark yesterday was just plain mean and uncalled for.

Usually, I don't consider it any of my busines when someone's being an asshole, being mean, or thinks, mistakenly or not, that being ugly and nasty is amusing. That's their stuff. It's eminently ignorable. LOL

But when someone is being mean to a friend, even "just" a virtual acquaintance, particularly one who's going through a rough time, I lose my temper. There's no excuse for that kind of crap. There's plenty in the big old world to make fun of, tear down or throw rocks at, virtual or otherwise, without being mean to someone who's up against it.

Klynne 06-28-2004 02:49 PM

I agree with Spart!

Clytie 06-28-2004 02:49 PM

*thunderous applause* im new here but i agree... even if i only know u virtually. theres no need for negative crap. if u dun like it here... leave...we arent keeping you!

sparticle 06-28-2004 02:52 PM

Or they could start "The Mean Thread" and leave the rest of us out of it. :D

trisherina 06-28-2004 03:01 PM

I got the impression that zero was responding to the "no chance of either understanding or sharing" comment posted by Audrey, FWIW.

Audreyvgs 06-28-2004 03:47 PM

Yup, and then they both crapped in cyberspace, which, gets on all of us. They should take it elsewhere. NYC, it has nothing to do with you. nothing. They are sitting there typing, boiling and ugly in their own skin. They're seething at someone to lash out at, and pick at what they percieve is someone with a scab. They are the lowest common denominator. It is their own problem.

Dinzsmum 06-28-2004 03:55 PM

What's this? Daily wisdom? I have yet to hear anything that even remotely sounds like wisdom come from this 0. A wise thing to say would be "I'm sorry and goodbye". That would be wisdom coming from an otherwise shallow and dull child.

tsk tsk tsk..silly old woman that I am!
I see this thread was started by someone else, not 0. Not to worry; a 0 by any name is still a 0.

Coffee 06-28-2004 04:08 PM

Daily Wisdom?

Grilled cheese sandwiches fried in olive oil is healthier, easier, and tastier than using butter...IMHO.

funkytuba 06-28-2004 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sparticle
[...] but I'm getting a little tired of the ho-hum, "aren't we clever", effete, minimalist school of sarcastic, caustic, non-constructive humor that seems to spring forth around here on occasion.
ha ha your stoopid get a life

funkytuba 06-28-2004 04:49 PM

erm...

Ahem.

Lemme remind people that this place is a public zoo with no admission fee. Some of us like it here and have chosen to hop in the cages and be exhibits. Others drop by only to fling poop. Still others are merely observing.

The zookeeper has seen fit to leave the rules very open and see what happens.

sparticle 06-28-2004 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by funkytuba
ha ha your stoopid get a life
ROFL!

sparticle 06-28-2004 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by funkytuba
erm...

Ahem.

Lemme remind people that this place is a public zoo with no admission fee. Some of us like it here and have chosen to hop in the cages and be exhibits. Others drop by only to fling poop. Still others are merely observing.

The zookeeper has seen fit to leave the rules very open and see what happens.

Those are very good points, too.

Pretty clear thinking for someone who's almost certain to be watching The History Channel, Donna Reed reruns and Ecuadorian soccer finals at 3:00 a.m. :D

I'm in total agreement with your points. 'S why if somebody wants to post a rant about why they hate Robert Mapplethorpe's work, post a pic of their naked arse with poop hanging out (hoping nobody takes the suggestion but not the least surprised if someone does), do a 5,000-post thread on the Care Bears, write syrupy poetry about Juan Gonzalez, contend that Nixon was the best President we have ever had, offer to fight anybody who doesn't think the Pistons rule, claim to be a direct descendant of Pontius Pilate or divulge details of their latest Ob-Gyn or prostate exam, it's absolutely none of my goddamn business.

I just have a tendency to lose my temper when I think someone is being mean, and I tend to sound off when that happens, thereby virtually scratching my cyberbutt while hanging from a tire swing just like every other creature in the zoo. ;)

daverbee 06-28-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Coffee
Daily Wisdom?

Grilled cheese sandwiches fried in olive oil is healthier, easier, and tastier than using butter...IMHO.

But not as tasty...IMHO...

priceyfatprude 06-28-2004 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Coffee
Daily Wisdom?

Only if you are using an Italian-style cheese.

red 06-28-2004 05:58 PM

don't burp in the boss's face