ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Nerdgasm (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=13173)

brightpearl 11-23-2007 03:46 PM

Nerdgasm

I'll have what Moebius is having.

Stick with it until you get to the sphere part.

Needn't post only science and math nerdliness...I'm an origami nerd, and perhaps you're sent into peals of nerdly guffaws by sci-fi or knitting or heirloom okra gardening....

auntie aubrey 11-23-2007 08:13 PM

okay you want nerdgasm?

so there's this video that came out in a small release on VHS in 1997. the record company that owned the distribution rights is no longer in existence (wax trax, god rest its soul) so there's very little chance that it will ever be reissued on DVD. the band responsible has been questioned by the fanbase repeatedly and they've made it clear that the entanglement of lawyers stands between us and a DVD issue.

here comes the nerdgasm:

i found a never-played, MIP copy of the VHS on amazon for $8. hooked the VCR up to my DVcam and transferred the material over to DV. pulled it into adobe premiere (which i had only used once before) and taught myself enough of the interface to get the material imported and color corrected (fixed the blacks. the blacks are never good on VHS, after all). i then dragged out my CD collection and fished out all of the albums containing material on the VHS. i ripped the music anew, then had to edit the tracks to match the special video-only versions contained in the original release. in some cases this meant listening to the release and the album side by side, bar by bar, to match the appropriate measures. i then resynced the new music back to the video (because VHS audio is beyond horrible), and exported. i then installed and learned adobe encore, pulled frames from the video to create artistically accurate menu pages, and authored a DVD. finally i scanned the artwork from the VHS box, patched it up in photoshop to fix the signs of wear and tear, screenprinting, and text. i identified the correct font used by the design house and regenerated the text for clean printing, tracked down logos for the associated record labels notated on the liner notes (and in one case, recreated a clean logo from scratch), and did a little photo editing to accommodate the aspect ratio of DVD clamshells, as it differs from that of VHS sleeves. i printed the artwork off, crafted a version to print on the disc, and BINGO! Footwear Repairs by Craftsmen at Competitive Prices on DVD! tomorrow i shall be shipping a handful out to others who want to share in my nerdgasm.

so nerdy, the spouse threatened divorce. ;)

Odbe 11-23-2007 09:16 PM

http://www.thinkgeek.com/
http://www.xkcd.com/

Tunesmith 11-25-2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odbe (Post 369432)

A year ago, I swore I'd never read webcomics. Too addictive, too nerdy, etc.

Now I read six. :o

trisherina 11-25-2007 02:32 AM

Master_Jedi 11-25-2007 05:44 AM

Have any of you watched the show Chuck, it comes on NBC, OMG, it is amazing =D

Stephi_B 11-25-2007 10:48 AM

Perla, I love you :)

Prime Number Fractal on the Ulam Spiral

And of course:

brightpearl 11-25-2007 02:26 PM

^AAAAAAH! That's a great book. You should read Einstein's Dreams, you'd love it.

brightpearl 11-27-2007 07:54 AM

I love how he stops for apple juice.
don't miss the scaled dragon at the end...

auntie aubrey 11-27-2007 10:47 AM

i'm going to nerdgasm all over this place this weekend. i'm actually saving my pennies on the off chance that i find a really good chinese fluorite egg. or a particularly spectacular rutilated quartz egg or sphere.

Frieda 11-27-2007 11:16 AM

i just got this t-shirt in the mail

Stephi_B 11-27-2007 01:31 PM

^:D

brightpearl 11-27-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 369638)
i just got this t-shirt in the mail

Frieda, I don't think you should have tried sharing a ride in Lukku's subrogator with Mr. Wibbles.

Angry Kid Hoyt 11-27-2007 02:29 PM

1. My Mother's family name is Moebius.
  2. I find fractal geometry kind of sexy.
    and
  3. I own:
  • An LED belt buckle.
  • An assortment of black t-shirts with quirky nerd/gerk/dork sayings and catch phrases. ("No, I will not fix your computer." etc.)
  • An Atari 2600 that still works.

Do I win?

T.I.P. 11-27-2007 02:39 PM

I just bought a 500Giga hard drive for 20euros extra because I wanted a model that looked like a star wars prop.

I use emacs and latex to do my word processing.

I try to find ways to do batch processing for anything that requires more than 3 repetitions on my computer.

I know over 30 keyboard shortcuts for emacs.

eta: during the end phase of my thesis i watched one episode of askaNinja every day and have now seen the entire series.