ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

trisherina 04-09-2005 07:38 PM

barbotage: An impermanent sculptural art form for which the only medium is shaving foam.

beckstra 04-11-2005 12:44 AM

Barbotage (n.) -

The production of spinal anesthesia in which a portion of the anesthetic solution is injected into the cerebral spinal fluid, which is then aspirated into the syringe and a second portion of the contents of the syringe is injected. The partial reinjections and aspirations are repeated until the contents of the syringe are used.

Boys and girls, I am thrilled that I get to choose the winner on my own opinion. I do realize some of you may be dissapointed because although effort is certianly a factor, it is not the determining factor. My delicate little funny bone declared the winner for me.

Third Place: This award goes to Marcus Beals for committing to the moment and giving us a reason to stick around for the rest of the read.

Second Place and Runner Up: If by some chance the winner so forefits their title or does not live up to their wordly duties to give us a word truely spectacular Hyakujo's Fox will take the reigns as the new wordsmith. Clever, clever my friend. You and the winner were so close, you really have no idea. I do apologize.

And The Winner Is: Trisherina! Girrrl, you totally brightened my day with your little definition. Things have been pretty meh for me these days and not much is making me smile right now. Your definition is creative, appropriate, and is completely worthy. Congratulations. Work it.

trisherina 04-11-2005 03:05 AM

Wow, Beckstra, you are too kind. I mean, really, you are. But thanks for the honour!

Next word: terephah

funkytuba 04-11-2005 03:43 AM

terephah - the way zero would spell "The Ripper"

xfox 04-11-2005 04:29 AM

terephah n. the slimy mess sea creatures leave behind when they emerge on land.

madasacutsnake 04-11-2005 05:00 AM

terephah - what Prue or Trude would say upon entering an all-you-can-eat family restaurant. "Tru-uly, arh was terephah-ed!"

Hyakujo's Fox 04-11-2005 05:57 AM

always the bridesmaid...

terephah (n) - an unpopular middle-eastern dip made from turtles, yoghurt and pine-nuts.

Marcus Bales 04-11-2005 10:22 AM

terephah - Academic slang for common dirt, uninspired. Most often used to dismiss uncreative writing, esp. on exams, as facts without context, antonym: bullshit, context without facts. From Old French, from Vulgar Latin ternum, alteration of Latin terrnum, from neuter of terrnus, of the earth + phah, from the Greek pheh, an expression of disgust, disapproval, displeasure.

dinzdale 04-12-2005 03:25 PM

terephah n.

Green / brown slime you have to clean out of an aqaurium or similar. Mainly consists of turtle or terrapin faeces.
Also used for the 'green' dip in cheap Mexican restaurants.

trisherina 04-12-2005 03:45 PM

That's really gross, dinz. Though quite likely true. You get the "definition most likely to change my eating habits, however slightly" award.

HFox remains a bridesmaid, this time to dinz, in that his definition will not really change my eating habits, because it is in fact a realistic reflection of many Middle Eastern dishes. and I never much liked them anyway.

madasacutsnake wins the "plucky attempt to transfer comedy overseas" award.

funkytuba gets the "snort of recognition" award.

xfox will receive a lovely hostess gift for her definition, which would have won were it not for my automatic negative response to the phrase "slimy mess" at Spring cleaning time.

The winner, then, is Marcus Bales, for his fetching stab at fake etymology, always the key to my heart.

The real definition of terephah is "unclean or forbidden meat," the opposite of kosher.

Take it away, Marcus!

Marcus Bales 04-12-2005 09:27 PM

Note to self: don't get clever with etymology when Trisherina is the judge.

Okay, then.

The new word is:

hadeharia

craig johnston 04-12-2005 09:43 PM

this means the woman in a harem who isn't the top dog, but
wishes she was. she always makes trouble for the main wife
and doesn't accept her authority. will stop at nothing to
pleasure her master.
(a bit like zenbabe)
;)

trisherina 04-12-2005 10:14 PM

hadeharia Slated for inclusion in the next edition of the OED, this abbreviated term has its origins in youths wanting to ask one another, "How the hell are ya?" without offending their elders.

madasacutsnake 04-12-2005 11:54 PM

hadeharia - term to describe unkempt pubic hair of the type that requires a slasher and the phrase "Dr Livingstone, I presume". From Hades (hell) and the combined form of "hair" and "aria" - the polite term for the noise emitted by potential suitors upon sighting the region.

Smartypants 04-13-2005 12:06 AM

hadeharia - 1. a derisive indication that a joke lacks sufficient wit (var. "har-de-har-har") 2. (obsolete) from scripture, a lack of substance, named for a demon from Hades. (ex.: "I've not seen hadeharia of him.") (In modern Amer. English, now more popular use is "hide nor hair.")