ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Jack Flanders 04-28-2006 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfox
oook (N[ew]) exclaimation superceding and combining expressions in the height of excitment for something remarkable to replace words like awesome, cool, wow, hooray, steamin', unbelieveable, rockin', etc. Used most effectively in a chorus of voices, but serves perfectly ok on paper or pixels. Can be capitalized, OOOK, for added emphasis.

Triple ok! new word, new word, new word, oook!

I believe it maybe on the list for the new Official Scrabble Players Dictonary which will be the Fourth Edition. (Am I a f'ng nerd or what?)

Master_Jedi 04-29-2006 12:16 AM

oook- The term any child gives tot he parent when asked to do something, or a noun for the space of time in which a child is asked to do somehting, and the actually does it.

Hyakujo's Fox 04-29-2006 12:52 AM

oook (excl) In the mythology of the tribes of the Orinoco, Oo-Ok was the sloth headed destroyer god that slowly inches his way along the great cosmic branch towards the world where he is to bring about its end. Whenever something slightly disturbing or offputting happened, the tribespeople would attribute this to yet another imperceptible movement of Oo-Ok toward the world's end.

Marcus Bales 04-29-2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyakujo's Fox
oook (excl) In the mythology of the tribes of the Orinoco, Oo-Ok was the sloth headed destroyer god that slowly inches his way along the great cosmic branch towards the world where he is to bring about its end. Whenever something slightly disturbing or offputting happened, the tribespeople would attribute this to yet another imperceptible movement of Oo-Ok toward the world's end.

Now used metaphorically by Dictionary Game players to describe the imperceptible movements of Dictionary Game judges toward judgment, perceived in their posts to other parts of the Zefrank board.

I saw Coffee oooking over in Fast Chat.

Coffee 04-29-2006 02:46 PM

Whoa it's been a very busy 3 whole days of moving for me, and I have to disconnect the ol computer, so I thought I'd judge this...unfortunately my submission hasn't generated alot of interest here :( ...only 5 actual definintions not counting non-defintion "comments" in psuedo definition form...apparently there was some inconvenience caused by waiting for actual definitions for what i believe is only my third word submission in this thread. For whatever reason I thought the monkeys here would have found the idea of defining a New word somewhat interesting as a change of pace from re-defining like we usually do here (as if anyone cares what the actual definition of the word is...or is someone using this thread in lieu of a dictionary to expand their vocabulary???)

I had in mind a primal word, one of the 10 or 12 early sounds used for hominid communication...thus all specific entries pretty much lost out owing to the fact that these communication specifics would have been indicated by "pointing" at the specific object or situation in addition to a word/sound...

Thus xfox absolutely nails it, and defines Oook for all time with:

oook (N[ew]) exclaimation superceding and combining expressions in the height of excitment for something remarkable to replace words like awesome, cool, wow, hooray, steamin', unbelieveable, rockin', etc. Used most effectively in a chorus of voices, but serves perfectly ok on paper or pixels. Can be capitalized, OOOK, for added emphasis.

Triple ok! new word, new word, new word, oook!

However, 12" and Hyakujo's Fox share the "Attempting to discredit the claim of creating a new word" award. :b even though they are probably correct in that I probably channeled rather than "created" oook...like my edit said, I think monkeys must have claim to it. ;)

(edit: rescinded alternate awards in lieu of leaving my own comments... :rolleyes: )

Take it away and in the succinct words of DVB...
challenge us xfox.

xfox 04-30-2006 11:55 AM

OOOK! oook, oook, oook-oook!

Thanks, coffee, nothing like being a first pick on the team.

In keeping with this spirit, define

aporia

trisherina 04-30-2006 12:02 PM

aporia: Dermatological term for a nose that closely resembles a strawberry.

On presentation, the patient exhibited malar rash and significant aporia.

Marcus Bales 04-30-2006 12:05 PM

aporia: -- A toilet stall without a door.

daverbee 04-30-2006 03:41 PM

aporia

The state of transcendental bliss achieved by a chimpanzee when he found all he needed to do to get a banana from his zookeeper was to complete a somersault.

Master_Jedi 04-30-2006 05:14 PM

aporia- the disease where u have no pores on ur body

dinzdale 05-01-2006 08:40 PM

aporia - the disease where u have ltd use of ur keybord

Hyakujo's Fox 05-02-2006 12:45 AM

aporia (n) the feeling you are overcome by on finding you haven't won the lottery. again.

12"razormix 05-02-2006 04:49 AM

aporia, n. comic opera

Marcus Bales 05-03-2006 08:25 AM

aporia -- The disease the rich fear most.

Madmack 05-03-2006 12:56 PM

aporia, v to act of putting or placing
From the portugese 'poria'

I need to get one of them there electronic key finding dealies.. never know where I aproria my keys