ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

daverbee 06-06-2006 01:08 PM

borogoves

Fernando Borogoves is considered the father of the art movement known today as Depressionism.
Depressionism was founded on the belief that life was a complete waste of time and so sad and not worth the trouble it would be better never to have been born.
Thus, Depressionistic paintings were often filled with such images as a person standing at the end of a long line at the grocery store carrying one item, a group of people waiting their turn at the Department of Motor Vehicles office, a person in the same Department of Motor Vehicles office trying their best to look good in their driver's license picture and failing.
Borogoves' art movement finally gave way to the more uplifting Pollyannaism movement which ultimately brought us smiley faces and people who dot their i's with hearts.

Coffee 06-08-2006 05:11 PM

I'm not sure if some of you did any basic research, ie. reading Jabberwocky from which borogoves originated. Most of you lost simply because your definition did IMHO not fit the enviorment/theme of the poem. Perhaps some of you simply ignored it and went off into uncharted territory...regardless, you lost those of you who chose that path for the Frumious Bandersnatch resides there.

Daverbee Innapropriate to poem in question (however I really like the idea of an art movement called Depressionism :D :D :D)

borogoves

Fernando Borogoves is considered the father of the art movement known today as Depressionism.
Depressionism was founded on the belief that life was a complete waste of time and so sad and not worth the trouble it would be better never to have been born.
Thus, Depressionistic paintings were often filled with such images as a person standing at the end of a long line at the grocery store carrying one item, a group of people waiting their turn at the Department of Motor Vehicles office, a person in the same Department of Motor Vehicles office trying their best to look good in their driver's license picture and failing.
Borogoves' art movement finally gave way to the more uplifting Pollyannaism movement which ultimately brought us smiley faces and people who dot their i's with hearts.

Trisherina: Wrong poem(s?), inapropriate to a wooded monster hunting local.
borogoves: Slights or worries manufactured by the neurotic in good times, designed to sustain the belief that life is difficult and full of pain. Can be distinguished from ordinary whines and complaints by the use of mimsy -- wherein the fantastical elements found in whimsy are used to paint the world darkly. Immortalized by Carroll Lewis in the oft-memorized satirical poem Jibberjabber.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive;
Less tangled, though, than what we wove
With mimsy -- our first borogove.

madmack Spelling error, inapropriate to a wooded monster hunting local.
borogoves n
A derogatory slang term used to describe crooked municipal polititions.
From the English terms borough and governor

It's typical for those bloody borogoves to raise our taxes and then give themselves a salary increase.

LeahDear Totally inapropriate to a wooded monster hunting local.
borogoves
A device used for removing ingrown toenails.

Rick was finding it increasingly difficult to walk as he'd lost his pair of borogoves and the chemist didn't have any more in 'til next week.

12" razormix offered not only an unsuitable image for the poem in question but also used someone else's defintion, and didn't have the sense to hide the definer's credits. Why even bother entering if you don't submit original work.???
F,F,F,F,F..... :rolleyes: Thanks, however, for keeping it short. ;)

borogoves

ants on a stick
( from entertaining with insects
by ronald l. taylor & barbara j. carter )

Brynn makes the final cut since a food for a fish could exsist in the enviorment in question, perhaps in a stream or swampy area...however, simply that grunions eat them doesn't really help me to visualize what a borogove is. Is it animal? They are gathered...Is it a plant? An insect perhaps?

borogoves - a favorite delicacy of grunions that are said to have astounding aphrodisiacal qualities - but to grunions exclusively, in the same way that catnip drives cats wild. Borogoves, inedible to humans, are commonly used by grunion gatherers as the most effective bait to entice grunions ashore to copulate before dying. Contrary to the vagaries of memory in popular imagination, borogoves bear no similarity whatsoever to slithy toves, and they are easily distinguished by their lack of gyrating, gimbling movements once they hit the "wabe", or roilingly sandy portion of the beach that the water breaks upon.

Dinzdale makes the final cut because if mimsy meant "trembling" then the trouser image would fit in the forest of the terrifying Jabberwocky.

borogoves n.

Borogoves are stout wooden trousers used by hutlers in the mid to late 16th century. The precise duties of a hutler and the practice of hutlery are now lost to us, but several pairs of borogoves may be seen at various stately homes in Wiltshire, England.

dddrum wins the "First guess award" and third place award with everyone's first guess that a borogove might be some kind of tree/plant. But kudos for the excellent imagery. You painted delightful borogove trees for us, my spine is still goosebumpy...however, "Tree/plant" was too obvious sir. Thank you for your wonderful submission of:

borogoves- tall, reed-like plants that grow in dank, marshy areas of the enchanted forest. The plants' woody stems grow to a height of seven to nine feet, with broad, leathery leaves all around their two inch diameter. These leaves, which grow densely in all directions, are long ovoids with serrated edges. Thick copses of young borogoves make quite an effective light barrier, adding a great deal to the shadowy gloom of this part of the forest. As the plant matures, the broad leaves become thinner and more brittle, acquiring a weird, lacy appearance, and casting eerie, claw-like shadows in the half-light. This process is called "mimsing", after the legendary Princess Mims of the swamp faeries. If you were tiptoeing along through an enchanted wood, and you unexpectantly brushed against an especially mimsy borogove, its feathery appendages tracing tiny ticklish trails across your sweaty gooseflesh... well, let's just say that the shrill girlish screams that shattered the ethereal peace of the still, deep forest... would no doubt be your own.

Marcus Bales is our galumpher up and wins the "Lost by the hair of a jub jub bird by including negative campaigning against another submission rather than running on one's own definition merits" award. But otherwise I liked your submission of a pissed off pig. And the presentation was delightful as well, (except for that bit of negativity).

A popular, but false etymology. My good friend and respected colleague is, in this instance again, quite simply wrong. The bora plant that he has been, unfortunately but expectedly, fooled by does thrive with a leaf growth pattern as odd as he is, but a borogove is not a plant, and never has been. The justly famous bora groves around the edges of the Dismal Swamp have brushed their lacy leaves against trembling gooseflesh for aeons, but that has nothing to do with the word borogove.

1. poro = 'pig' cognate with Lat. 'porcine', Greek 'rumsfeld', etc. It
has nothing to do with
2. bore = 'unending' > 'syllable' > 'letter'. It is an early name of
the sacred syllable OM. It has nothing to do with
3. ora = 'eye', cognate with Lat. 'oculis', Greek 'ossa', German
'Auge', Eng. 'eye'.

The 'etymology' he has cited has a long history, going back to the Vedic texts themselves, but in these texts the 'etymology' is better understood as word-play. Etymologies are different from word-play insofar as there is a serious effort to get right the actual historical development of the words [Greek 'etymos' = true, actual, real]. Word-play feels no obligation to etymos.

What undercuts the word-play as etymology in many Indic languages (not just the Bengali with which Mr Drum is most familiar) with a word like poro, pig, is that when you look at its cognates in other languages you have to come to the conclusion that the Sanskrit word has evolved into its shape 'pora' from earlier forms. In Old Iranian languages it took the shape 'arpa' [in Avestan] and 'ara' in Old Persian. Given the European forms that I mentioned earlier, it is clear that the underlying Proto-Indo-European form for 'pig' was something like ekros. In order to follow the train of thought that this conclusion entails, you'd have to take a couple of courses in comparative linguistics and then Indo-European linguistics. In any case, it is a demonstrable linguistic fact that the Sanskrit word for pig has nothing to do with the words for 'plant' or 'leaf' -- except in the imagination of poets.

I do not disparage the imagination of poets, of course, but they are notoriously given to taking liberties incommensurate with an historical science such as etymology, which is not impeccable, but it is rule-governed. Those who want to talk about etymology should study it, because it works the same way in all languages.

A borogove (pronounced bore oh guhv, to rhyme with 'tove' or 'love') is a pig, a wild boar; a gove (Gr. guv, L. gov, 'father without coffee') is a particularly ugly mood, so a borogove is, of course a pig with a nasty disposition.

Mimsy, though derives from more contemporary usage, and involves an accidental interface between one's morning hard tackle and the heating element or flame while cooking bacon in the nude. Consequently, a mimsy borogrove is a peculiarly loud and angry one.

And the winner is this delightfully Carrollesque shroom enhanced definition that answers the question "what is a borogove" while leaving one still unsure wtf she is talking about. So even though I am still at a loss wtf a borogove is, I was won over by this one and award it the "Carroll couldn't have defined it better" award and pass the torch to xfox.

borogoves
black holes of the 21st century. Such is Human Perversity remarked Carroll. Defines east and west in one breath. Boojums! Beware of the little bopper, speaking of snarky peeps! You ask, "Is this a definition?" Yes, kitty, dear, it is.

And, has thou nailed the borogove?
Come to my arms, my Xish fox!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay
...err...he Pm'ed in her box.

xfox 06-08-2006 10:57 PM

OOOK! Thank you, Coffee! When the truth is found... as Grace Slick said, to be lies, etc. the next word is

iatrarchy

Brynn 06-08-2006 11:44 PM

iatrarchy - a hierarchal form of local government in which a single opthamologist governs over his exclusively one-eyed subjects, who in turn dictate the movements of the blind masses who surround them all.

daverbee 06-09-2006 12:34 PM

iatrarchy

A single sentence uttered by the cat Mehitabel to his cockroach/journalist friend Archy regarding his behavior upon finding a female mouse in his litter box.

trisherina 06-09-2006 12:46 PM

iatrarchy: A developmental phase in school-aged children marked by increasing sophistication in comic book choices.

Coffee 06-10-2006 01:46 AM

iatrarchy:

The sense of individual power that comes with the realization that one is actualy in control of one's own destiny.

xfox 06-11-2006 03:06 PM

Here come the judge! Please accept my thanks for all the clever trys to define the word iatrarchy I shall here and now judge the Dictionary Game players who entered this round. Noticeably absent is our talented innovator, whose health and state, I hope is alright. Are you there Mr. Bales?

Iatrarchy means government by physicians. (Editors note: Ultimately, we are all organisms, some more machro than others. Everything is secondary to one's health. Is it a sign of age to repeat oneself?)

Dear Coffee ,of whose flavor I shall never tire, wins the if it's bubbling, it's working award for:
The sense of individual power that comes with the realization that one is actualy in control of one's own destiny.
The entry submitted by Trisherina for her caring, receives in the distinguished tradtion of the highly sought after Model Mother Award for:
A developmental phase in school-aged children marked by increasing sophistication in comic book choices.
Daverbee is acknowledged with gratitude for this thoughtful entry by honorable mention and the Aspiring Literary Bug Prize for Stuff for:
A single sentence uttered by the cat Mehitabel to his cockroach/journalist friend Archy regarding his behavior upon finding a female mouse in his litter box.
I give you the winner and very subjective Most Likey to be Sued for Malpractice Award, if Only They Could See to Brynn for:

iatrarchy - a hierarchal form of local government in which a single opthamologist governs over his exclusively one-eyed subjects, who in turn dictate the movements of the blind masses who surround them all.

Congratulations, Brynn, we'll take your new word!

Marcus Bales 06-11-2006 04:14 PM

iatrarchy -- a rhetorical term also known as "hasty generalization", meaning to leap to a general conclusion from too little particular information.

Xfox judged the most recent Dictionary Game iatrarchically.

What? It's over? My entry doesn't count? I'll appeal!

Marcus: No fair! Xfox judged too soon!"

Marcus: Have you read the rules, pal?

Marcus: Yabbut, custom and tradition have long favored the extended procrastination, not the quick kick!

Marcus: Too bad for you, bub.

Marcus: But ... but ... but ...

Marcus: Next!

Brynn 06-11-2006 04:40 PM

Well, I think it's pretty dandy, myself. Thanks Xfox!

The new word is phoenicurous.

daverbee 06-12-2006 09:28 AM

phoenicurous

The mistaken belief that by setting onself on fire one can be reborn as a large bird or as a parakeet living in a certain town in Arizona depending on your preference.

Marcus Bales 06-12-2006 01:08 PM

phoenicurous -- wide-set hips in bipeds; typically the phoenicurous biped will have thighs that do not touch when standing or moving normally. In Playboy myth, women who are extraordinarily good in bed.

After he noticed the phoenicurous qualities of the Nolan twins, as they stood before him, Professor Dinzdale was dazzled by the prospect of discovering whether the editors at Dear Playboy had been right.

Coffee 06-13-2006 12:02 AM

phoenicurous adj, phoenicurian n

Pertaining to cusine of Phoenician origin.
An epicurian who specializes Phoenician food.

Abda and Moleck, phoenicurians, uttered a silent prayer to Dagon, ancient god of harvests, before opening the Milwaukee phone book, where they were stranded when a connecting flight to Chicago had engine trouble, forcing an unplanned night lay over in the Big M. They were dismayed, but not surprised, to find that the closest thing to a Phoenician restruant in the entire city of Milwaukee was a fish and chips place in a nearby Cudahy sports bar.

dddrum 06-13-2006 04:23 AM

phoenicurous - term employed in Personal Ads, indicating the desire to explore a sexual relationship with a huge, mythical bird.

dinzdale 06-13-2006 12:11 PM

phoenicurous an.

The ability to rise again immediately after having been spent.

As the third Nolan Sister entered the bedroom, both she and the Professor were very pleased he was phoenicurious :)