ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Brynn 07-04-2005 02:58 AM

venenation: (n) 1.The act of saying extremely venal things about someone (the opposite of veneration). 2. The act of bringing a fellow human being to point of tears.

Chelsea felt that her public venenation of Sierra would effectively eliminate her former best friend from the competiton for the coveted head cheerleader spot.

trisherina 07-04-2005 05:14 AM

Yowie! Judging time.

Marcus gets no award from me, because we do NOT alk-tay about the angovers-hay from ine-way. Think of the children. Hmmph.

The "yes, yes, I know what you mean" award goes to snake for her amusing musings on bloodletting.

The "completely inappropriate" award goes to HFox for his startling decision to define (with alternate!) a word not selected in this round.

The "time to put the kids to bed early" award goes to funkytuba for his fern-bar mastications.

daverbee gets the "bad kiddie cereal flashbacks" award with his vaguely Economics 101-sounding definition.

NimbleMarmoset gets the "I have a secret B&D fetish" award for projecting her feelings about whiners onto a fictional group.

Brynn takes home coveted second prize for her very real-sounding (in many ways) definition.

That leaves us with xfox who managed to evoke Bill Clinton in her definition simply by putting in close proximity to one another the words prophylactic, democracy, president, and swelling. And doesn't Bill always come out on top?

OH! Venenation is the act of poisoning. Take it away, xfox!

xfox 07-04-2005 10:03 PM

I like the way you think, Trish. And, I am honored by your astute decision. Thank you very much!

Define: appoggiatura

funkytuba 07-04-2005 11:02 PM

appoggiatura-- an opera singer who performs best when at or near the farthest point on the globe from their home town ANT: perriggiatura

As it turns out, the best candidate to play the lead in The Barber of Seville is nearly always an appoggiatura from Aukland, New Zealand.

trisherina 07-05-2005 04:53 AM

appoggiatura: Known colloquially as "pogs," these Venetian milkcaps reached the pinnacle of their popularity as collector's items and lame pseudo-toys circa 1995.

12"razormix 07-05-2005 05:37 AM

appoggiatura n.
umbrella stand

madasacutsnake 07-05-2005 07:42 AM

appoggiatura; a shouted warning or an attempt to scare some-one in a spooky situation, best said whilst waving one's arms above one's head:

A-POGGACHURA, A-POGGACHURA!

daverbee 07-05-2005 12:44 PM

appoggiatura (noun)
Italian in origin, an appoggiatura is a professional apology maker. Most often used in the political world where apologies are considered to be a sign of weakness and responsibility for a mistake.
Appoggiaturas are looked on in disdain in the United States where the political community is more likely to resort to lies and denial.

Marcus Bales 07-05-2005 12:44 PM

appoggiatura - "leaning against" or "posting up" in Italian and European basketball: the technique of leaning against the opponent with one's body and arms to gain one of the four the post positions in order to prepare for an entry pass of the ball by one's teammates.

Hyakujo's Fox 07-05-2005 01:21 PM

Appogiatura (n) The annual herring race through the streets of Seville commemorating the death of St Aringa. Dating back to 1342, the Appogiatura follows the route through the town taken by St Aringa while being chased by a horde of feral cats, before being clawed to pieces after refusing to hand over the herring he had purchased for his Friday supper.

xfox 07-05-2005 03:03 PM

Early judging

With all the usual suspects present I won't hold further. I appreciate each and every amusing entry!

I hope the real definition of appoggiatura was found here

I couldn't say it any better!

Funky wins the Best Global Definition for his reference to apogee and perigee.

trisherina This opinion on the aspect of visual delights apropos of Venetian paperweights found worldwide entertains and wins the Most Lyrical English Translation award.

12"razormix Winner of the Apothem Prize.

madasacutsnake Leaves this round with the very funny Apt Apache Approach to a Phonics Prize.

Marcus Bales for his appoggiatura - "leaning against" or "posting up" in Italian and European basketball: the technique of leaning against the opponent with one's body and arms to gain one of the four the post positions in order to prepare for an entry pass of the ball by one's teammates. Receives the prestigous "I did not know that" contest! Congratulations!

Hyakujo's Fox, Second Runner Up for the Amusing and Obvious.

Appellation for this round then is: Daverbee

"Italian in origin, an appoggiatura is a professional apology maker. Most often used in the political world where apologies are considered to be a sign of weakness and responsibility for a mistake.
Appoggiaturas are looked on in disdain in the United States where the political community is more likely to resort to lies and denial."

for his politically correct It Doesn't Matter What You Do, but It Does Matter What You Call It aphorism.

So, Daver, proceed!

daverbee 07-05-2005 03:46 PM

Thanks!
Personally, I liked Hyakujo's definition best but then, I'm not a judge.
OK, try this on for size:

resistentialism

trisherina 07-05-2005 04:00 PM

resistentialism: the belief that one's government is topheavy with oppressors, fools, and patronage-choked cronies all working against the common good to their own personal benefit.

funkytuba 07-05-2005 04:23 PM

resistentialism--the school of philosophy that concerns itself with personal validation achieved through higher real estate valuations

The housing bubble of the early 21st century was a major factor in the rise of resistentialism during that period eventually displacing the christian faith in some parts of southern California, the San Francisco Bay Area, Manhattan, and Connecticut.

dinzdale 07-05-2005 06:24 PM

resistentialism n.
philosophy of doormen, security gaurds and other jumped up little Hitlers. Despite the fact that you are first name basis with the twerp and say hello everday for 6 years, he will not admit you to the buliding the one and only day that you forget your ID.
see also: Jobsworth.

Marcus Bales 07-05-2005 10:30 PM

resistentialism - the philosophy espoused by fathers of nubile daughters going out on dates with young men, involving a single aspirin and where to keep it.

Brynn 07-06-2005 01:56 AM

resistentialism - n. 1. a complete and total inability to comprehend and/or follow directions to the point of seeming subversive; 2. a deliberate decision not to sympathize with or otherwise accomodate another's wishes.
Resistentialism is a common obstacle that office managers run into when trying to train a new employee who is not just stupid, but aggressively stupid.

12"razormix 07-06-2005 09:25 AM

resistentialism
the formula "Replace Essential Supplies In Sufficient Time", used mainly in psychological profiling. one of the many approaches in psychology is called the psychobiological approach, which focuses on biological and genetic bases for human emotions/behavior and makes extended use of resistentialism. multiple test case scenarios are created (by applying the RESIST formula) and evaluated in the context of psychophysical systems - the enduring patterns of thought, feeling, motivation and behavior that are expressed in different circumstances.

Hyakujo's Fox 07-06-2005 12:29 PM

resistentialism (n) - a set of ideas popular with more philosophical dieters and certain weight-conscious philopsophers that stress that each individual is responsible for his or her own resistance. eg. The discovery of a forgotten jumbo pack of double choc choc chip cookies at the back of the cupboard plunged Doris into a resistential crisis.

daverbee 07-06-2005 03:53 PM

Wow!
What a response!
Judging this afternoon at 4:00 pm Eastern.

madasacutsnake 07-07-2005 01:15 AM

resistentialism - from "rhesus" and "tent", the practice of creating an inadequate hideout and subsequently being caught and forced to do something one does not to do. After the story of the rhesus monkeys and the explorer's tent wherein the monkeys attempted a stand off in order to avoid being catapulted into space.

daverbee 07-07-2005 01:12 PM

resistentialism (ri-zis-TEN-shul-iz-um) noun
The theory that inanimate objects demonstrate hostile behavior against us.

Sorry for picking a parody word but when I saw it, I couldn't resist.

OK, the order is as follows:

The What Are Your Intentions Towards My Daughter Award for fatherly behavior goes to marcus for this little gem:
the philosophy espoused by fathers of nubile daughters going out on dates with young men, involving a single aspirin and where to keep it.

The Huh??? Award goes to 12" Razormix for causing more than one of my co-workers to walk away scratching their heads here in the shop by giving us this to ponder:
the formula "Replace Essential Supplies In Sufficient Time", used mainly in psychological profiling. one of the many approaches in psychology is called the psychobiological approach, which focuses on biological and genetic bases for human emotions/behavior and makes extended use of resistentialism. multiple test case scenarios are created (by applying the RESIST formula) and evaluated in the context of psychophysical systems - the enduring patterns of thought, feeling, motivation and behavior that are expressed in different circumstances.

The I Didn't Know You Worked In This Building! Award goes to Brynn for her insight into how things operate not only here but probably in every work environment in the world. She enlightened us by positing this:
a complete and total inability to comprehend and/or follow directions to the point of seeming subversive; 2. a deliberate decision not to sympathize with or otherwise accomodate another's wishes.
Resistentialism is a common obstacle that office managers run into when trying to train a new employee who is not just stupid, but aggressively stupid.

The I'm Sorry, Mr. Dinzdale, but Rules Are Rules Award goes to Dinzdale for apparently running into more than one of those little totalitarian jackoffs by giving us this:
philosophy of doormen, security gaurds and other jumped up little Hitlers. Despite the fact that you are first name basis with the twerp and say hello everday for 6 years, he will not admit you to the buliding the one and only day that you forget your ID.
see also: Jobsworth.

The You Mean They Aren't? Award goes to Trish for living in a world all her own:
the belief that one's government is topheavy with oppressors, fools, and patronage-choked cronies all working against the common good to their own personal benefit.
Either that or she is a firm believer in this particular philosophy.

The Alan Greenspan Memorial Even-Though-He-Isn't-Dead "Marked Down and Priced To Sell" Award goes to Funky for shopping for a bargain with:
the school of philosophy that concerns itself with personal validation achieved through higher real estate valuations

The housing bubble of the early 21st century was a major factor in the rise of resistentialism during that period eventually displacing the christian faith in some parts of southern California, the San Francisco Bay Area, Manhattan, and Connecticut.

The Weight Watchers/Overeaters Anonymous/Atkin's Diet Award goes to HFox for taking responsibility with:
a set of ideas popular with more philosophical dieters and certain weight-conscious philopsophers that stress that each individual is responsible for his or her own resistance. eg. The discovery of a forgotten jumbo pack of double choc choc chip cookies at the back of the cupboard plunged Doris into a resistential crisis.

The Getting In Under The Wire and Winning Thanks To The Judge's Involvement In Work-Related Matters Award goes to this week's winner, snake, for not monkeying around and presenting us with:
from "rhesus" and "tent", the practice of creating an inadequate hideout and subsequently being caught and forced to do something one does not to do. After the story of the rhesus monkeys and the explorer's tent wherein the monkeys attempted a stand off in order to avoid being catapulted into space.

The award will be presented through the artful use of Paypal in wiring money to a location other than Australia.
Take it away, Snakey!

madasacutsnake 07-08-2005 05:03 AM

I WON ONE I WON ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New word:

tepidarium

funkytuba 07-08-2005 05:33 AM

tepidarium -- a mediocre brothel

Sir Dinz nearly had a stroke at The Nolan Sisters Memorial Cathouse so they sent him to Thora's Tepidarium next time he came around

daverbee 07-08-2005 12:25 PM

tepidarium (noun)
An indoor gymnasium which allows one to pee in the swimming pool should the need arise.

Marcus Bales 07-08-2005 01:31 PM

Tepidarium - also T. Pedarium, Roman rapper, born a slave, but manumitted in 20 AD at the age of 14 as a reward for his sycophantic verse about his master's family. Best known for "vox rox" and other treacly anthems to the power of the people during a time when Augustus was centralizing state power, little is recorded of his birth or death, beyond a cryptic remark made by the emperor in the Senate: "populi schmopuli", in response to how he intended to deal with the upstart singer's gold-scroll songs criticising the government.

xfox 07-08-2005 01:51 PM

tepidarium n. a holding place for those wracked with indecision on their personal physical comfort.

Zuzu sat motionless in the tepidarium dreading thoughts of the frying pan versus the fire.

Hyakujo's Fox 07-08-2005 02:10 PM

Tepidarium (n) - a theatre in ancient Rome infamous for attracting mediocre acts from all over the empire. eg. "Oh I say, I completely dozed off during the orgy scene at the tepidarium last night!"

Brynn 07-08-2005 11:18 PM

tepidarium - (n) a gigantic glassed-in structure at "Burning Man" in which mere spectators, tourists and other camera-wielding, non-drug-bearing, non-participating voyeurs are captured and held by self-styled 'tepidarists' who write "I'm just tepid" on the offenders' foreheads, then dare them to take off their clothes in exchange for their freedom.

madasacutsnake 07-09-2005 12:43 AM

Judging tomorrow 11am ACST. You might need this.

trisherina 07-09-2005 01:27 AM

tepidarium: a storehouse for empty threats.

Hyakujo's Fox 07-10-2005 12:41 AM

speaking of empty threats...

*checks watch*

*wanders off in the direction of lunch*

madasacutsnake 07-10-2005 01:28 AM

Three quarters of an hour late. Sheesh.

I got the word from a sign on the Queen Mary indicating the Turkish Baths. Personally, none of us could think of anything worse than a tepid bath but apparently they were all the rage in 1935 and even earlier:

TEPIDARIUM, the term given to the warm (tepidus) bathroom of the Roman baths. There is an interesting example at Pompeii; this was covered with a semicircular barrel vault, decorated with reliefs in stucco, and round the room a series of square recesses or niches divided from one another by Telamones. The tepidarium in the Roman thermae was the great central hall round which all the other halls were grouped, and which gave the key to the plans of the thermae: it was probably the hall where the bathers first assembled prior to taking the cold bath or passing through the various hot baths, and was decorated with the richest marbles and mosaics: it received its light through clerestory windows, on the sides, the front and the rear, and would seem to have been the hall in which the finest treasures of art were placed; thus in the thermae of Caracalla, the Farnese Hercules, and the Toro Farnese, the two gladiators, the sarcophagi of green basalt now in the Vatican, and numerous other treasures, were found during the excavations by Paul III. in 1546, and transported to the Vatican and the museum at Naples.

College Humor Award goes to Brynn for causing a juvenile giggle with her definition: a gigantic glassed-in structure at "Burning Man" in which mere spectators, tourists and other camera-wielding, non-drug-bearing, non-participating voyeurs are captured and held by self-styled 'tepidarists' who write "I'm just tepid" on the offenders' foreheads, then dare them to take off their clothes in exchange for their freedom.

Ickyoo Award goes to daverbee for making me wonder a) just what was in the water at the Miette Hot Springs and b) wether the clients had to actually be in the pool to pee or were allowed to simply pee from the side: An indoor gymnasium which allows one to pee in the swimming pool should the need arise.

Brithumour/Carry on Leering Award goes to Hfox for managing to squeeze "Oh I say" and "orgy" into one sentence: a theatre in ancient Rome infamous for attracting mediocre acts from all over the empire. eg. "Oh I say, I completely dozed off during the orgy scene at the tepidarium last night!"

Post Modern/Minimalist Award goes to Trisherina for her definition in classic under-the-radar style: a storehouse for empty threats

Going Round in Circles Award goes to Xfox for making me wonder if being between a frying pan and a fire could really be that tepid, then trying to decide wether a tepidarium might have walls and if so, would they be heat proof, or wether a tepidarium might be more of an existential type of thing and so on and so on: a holding place for those wracked with indecision on their personal physical comfort. Zuzu sat motionless in the tepidarium dreading thoughts of the frying pan versus the fire.

Coveted Second Place Award goes to funky just because it was kind of dirty and made me snigger: a mediocre brothel. Sir Dinz nearly had a stroke at The Nolan Sisters Memorial Cathouse so they sent him to Thora's Tepidarium next time he came around

And that make the winner...........TA-DA.........Marcus Bales, woohoo!

Partly because he gets an A for effort and also because "vox rox" made me laugh out loud as did the picture of a rapper in a toga:
also T. Pedarium, Roman rapper, born a slave, but manumitted in 20 AD at the age of 14 as a reward for his sycophantic verse about his master's family. Best known for "vox rox" and other treacly anthems to the power of the people during a time when Augustus was centralizing state power, little is recorded of his birth or death, beyond a cryptic remark made by the emperor in the Senate: "populi schmopuli", in response to how he intended to deal with the upstart singer's gold-scroll songs criticising the government.

Away you go Marcus.

Marcus Bales 07-10-2005 01:49 AM

Damn damn damn! I was sure that Funky or Trish would win! Ah, well.

The new word is kazachoc.

Judging will be Monday evening. Or Sunday. Or Tuesday. Whenever my whim or caprice get in.

Anybody know their cell numbers?

Marcus

xfox 07-10-2005 08:56 PM

kazachoc n. a secret hiding place for french truffles, usually guarded by a protective hedge.

Marcus Bales 07-11-2005 04:45 PM

Is that all there is, then?

funkytuba 07-11-2005 11:04 PM

kazachoc -- a special peer-to-peer service wherein PMS-ey women share recipes involving chocolate

Brynn 07-11-2005 11:43 PM

kazachoc - an elite type of kamakaze enthusiast devoted to a little-known "Death By Chocolate" cult in Japan.

madasacutsnake 07-12-2005 04:24 AM

kazachoc n. a temporary or ad hoc chock for a kazoo, usually employed when the listener is about to claw paint from the walls and at the point where the player feels lucky that only his kazoo is being chocked.

12"razormix 07-12-2005 07:29 AM

kazachoc n.
it is a mongolian custom to say "kazachoc!" when somebody sneezes, meant to wish good health.