ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

funkytuba 04-22-2005 01:45 PM

habromania - the insane preference for playing with children's toys while sporting a stuffed nose
(subtle?)

Ms Robbie 04-23-2005 02:29 AM

habromania -- an out-of-control desire for physical contact with others. (From the Biblical name Habakkuk: to “embrace” or “wrestle.”)

Smartypants 04-24-2005 09:30 PM

Sorry for the time lag, boys and girls -- I'm on the road. I use this as the excuse for both providing a lame word AND being brief with my bestowal of praise.

The real deal: Habromania = insanity featuring cheerful delusions.

Having just left Chicago where the ass-freezing cold made for a constantly stuffed and runny nose while visiting friends with toy-wielding kids, I award an empathic first prize to Funky, because I believe Chicago is filled with exactly his brand of habromaniacs.

Honorable mentions to all other clever participants.

Take it away Tuba boy...

funkytuba 04-24-2005 10:38 PM

yay.. thanky, smarty,

next word:

cunctation

Go for it --
judging will be.... whenever I feel like it.... or around on Wednesday-ish. Which Wednesday is intentionally left ambiguous

xfox 04-25-2005 12:47 AM

cunctation n. - a form of vacation.

Smartypants 04-25-2005 01:20 AM

cunctation - a prison rite of passage for newly incarcerated male inmates, sexual in nature, involving a bar of soap and a not-insignificant degree of violence, generally underappreciated by the subject of the initiation.

Ms Robbie 04-25-2005 02:40 AM

cunctation -- a small, edible sea creature that takes its own sweet time getting from the boiling pot to the plate.

Brynn 04-25-2005 06:10 PM

cunctation (n.)
1ad ocum entco mpletel ybereftofpu ntua tionthathasbe ens ubmi tte dino rde rt obuy asm al lamo un toft imet hro ugh deliberateobfuscation o ft hem ess ag ewhi lefa cts arech eckedor ch ec ksar efa xed2any ineffe cti vea ctofdes pera tionwh atsoe ver

Brynn 04-25-2005 06:13 PM

cunctation : (n.) a letter dictated to one's best friend to be sent anonymously to the lying ***** who stole your boyfriend.

trisherina 04-27-2005 04:22 AM

cunctation: The not uncommon practice of pronouncing a silent c when trying to make use of words not fully grasped by the speaker, i.e. indict.

zenbabe 04-27-2005 04:44 AM

cunctation:
*verb*

The act of winning a word game for "Not even going there".

Marcus Bales 04-28-2005 01:49 AM

cunctation - found in the Gospel of St John, the Cunctation (Canticle of John) is the fourth in the sequence of the great Canticles of the New Testament, the other three being the Magnificat (Canticle of Mary) the Benedictus (Canticle of Zachary), and the Nunc Dimittis (Canticle of Luke).

All four are styled the "Evangelical Canticles". The title is formed from the opening words in the Latin Vulgate, Cunctation conlige suspectos semper habitos ("Wait a minute, round up the usual suspects"), as is the Nunc dimittis Nunc dimittis servum tuum, Domine ("Now thou dost dismiss thy servant, O Lord" etc.).

trisherina 04-28-2005 01:52 AM

^^show-off

funkytuba 04-29-2005 05:00 AM

cunc·ta·tion (kungk-ta'sh?n)
n.
Procrastination; delay.
[Latin cunctatio, cunctation-, from cunctatus, past participle of cunctari, to delay.]
Usage: FunkyTuba is guilty of some serious cunctation when it comes to judging these Dictionary game thingers.

For MsRobbie, the "Best Meta-Definition Definition" award
cunctation -- a small, edible sea creature that takes its own sweet time getting from the boiling pot to the plate.

Brynn gets two awards: the "I Wish The Germans Had Used This Crypto Method In WWII" award and the "Tell Me How You Really Feel" award for, respectively:
cunctation (n.)
1 a document completely bereft of puntuation that has been submitted in order to buy a small amount of time through deliberate obfuscation of the message while facts are checked or checks are faxed
2 any ineffective act of desperation whatsoever

and
cunctation : (n.) a letter dictated to one's best friend to be sent anonymously to the lying ***** who stole your boyfriend.

Trisherina gets the "Most Plausible-Sounding Award"
cunctation: The not uncommon practice of pronouncing a silent c when trying to make use of words not fully grasped by the speaker, i.e. indict.

To Zenbabe goes the "Lame Attempt At Pre-Determining The Outcome Which The Judge Saw Right Through" award.
cunctation: *verb* The act of winning a word game for "Not even going there".

The "Not Quite Pseudo-Cathologic And Just A Little Too Long" award goes to Marcus Bales for his contribution in novella form:
cunctation - found in the Gospel of St John, the Cunctation (Canticle of John) is the fourth in the sequence of the great Canticles of the New Testament, the other three being the Magnificat (Canticle of Mary) the Benedictus (Canticle of Zachary), and the Nunc Dimittis (Canticle of Luke).
All four are styled the "Evangelical Canticles". The title is formed from the opening words in the Latin Vulgate, Cunctation conlige suspectos semper habitos ("Wait a minute, round up the usual suspects"), as is the Nunc dimittis Nunc dimittis servum tuum, Domine ("Now thou dost dismiss thy servant, O Lord" etc.).

SmartyPants gets the "Best Explanation Of What He Was Really Doing While On The Road Award"
cunctation - a prison rite of passage for newly incarcerated male inmates, sexual in nature, involving a bar of soap and a not-insignificant degree of violence, generally underappreciated by the subject of the initiation.

First place and the "Sniggering Doubletake" award goes to Fox who made me think a bit before laughing out loud at:
cunctation n. - a form of vacation.

Show us whatcha got, xFoxy!

Willow Sylph 04-29-2005 05:45 AM

Okay, Fox. We're waaaaiting... :o