ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

brightpearl 06-02-2007 04:36 PM

sedilia

1. A fabled Carribbean lily, the scent of which is so intoxicating that it was said to have lulled unwary explorers into sedentary stupor so fully that they wasted away, lost in its effects.

2. it has come to be used metaphorically, to refer to any delusional obsession that results in wasting

Cordelia was unable to see how her compulsive collecting of 18th century fire polished salt cellars had become her undoing, a domesticated crystalline sedilia, every bit as fatal as its botanical counterpart.

Odbe 06-02-2007 06:42 PM

sedilia (n). A crime so henious that people would rather let it go unpunished than have to think about it.

Unfortunately everyone got away with anything in those days, because all it took was a bit of sedilia and people would be willing to pardon all your other offences just to be able to forget about your existence.

Marcus Bales 06-04-2007 07:50 PM

Are we all done with

sedilia?

Master_Jedi 06-04-2007 09:48 PM

sedilia- a rare flower that has an odd smell that knocks out anything within 1 mile.

i envoke the zatoichi rule

funkytuba 06-04-2007 09:49 PM

sedilia - the feeling of helpless unease experienced when the music provided by your coffeeshop doesn't quite fit your mood and you've left your personal music device in your other pants

After the third song in a row of theremin - singing saw duets, the sedilia became quite intense and Horace began frantically digging through his computer bag, to no avail.

brightpearl 06-04-2007 10:12 PM

I should have defined sedilia as the icky goosebumps you get when someone mentions carrying a personal device in their pants. :eek:

T.I.P. 06-05-2007 05:59 AM

sedilia: uncontrolled impatience occurring towards the end of a round of dictionary game. Symptoms include scratching of the head and/or refreshing of the browser every 5 minutes.

Gianpaolo knew that he was having an onset of sedilia, so he decided to go outside and breathe for a while. After a short while he felt much better.

Marcus Bales 06-05-2007 09:26 AM

The Boring Old Reality Award stops babbling in Latin and totters over to sit down out of sight of the congregation the better to admire the third choirboy from the left whose buns jiggle like a jelly on springs goes to The Catholic Encyclopedia (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13679b.htm) for

Sedilia (Plural of Latin sedile, a seat.) The name given to seats on the south side of the sanctuary, used by the officiating clergy during the liturgy. The earliest examples are found in the catacombs, where a single stone seat at the south end of the altar was used by the celebrant. Similar single seats are found in Spain (at Barcelona, Saragossa, Toledo, and elsewhere) and England (at Lenham and Beckley). In course of time the number of seats was increased to three (for celebrant, deacon, and sub-deacon), which is the number usually found, though sometimes there are four and even five. They became common in England by the twelfth or thirteenth century, and were frequently recessed in the thickness of the wall of the church.

The Carly Simon Award with a side of ketchup will eventually get to Tunesmith for

sedilia: (n.) the sudden rush of adrenaline one gets when confronted by an exciting situation after days of boredom

"Perhaps I'll mix up the routine, today," sighed Marvin, as he tottered downstairs, still groggy from last night's "The Price is Right" marathon. "At breakfast: pills then grapefruit!" Wriggling with anticipation as he later sliced his fruit, Marvin felt his sedilia come in.

The Sheetrock Homes "It's Sedimentary, My Dear Wesson" Award oozes toward daverbee for

sedilia - An unnatural sexual obsession with sediment.

The DeBeers "We've Got A Diamond For That" Award sparkles on the finger of 12"razormix for

sedilia, n. some kind of nasty rash that you get from making it in the bushes

The Don Marquis "When One Loves Tensely" and Michael Douglas Cradle-Robbing Awards sidle up to Brynn and hit her on the arm and then run away for

sedilia - 1. miniature acts of rebellion or sedition, such as throwing snails into an irksome neighbor's garden, using the word "ain't," or "forgetting" to use a coaster. 2. outrageous flirtation at social gatherings between humans who differ in age by 25 years or more but pretend otherwise.

The Harold Bloom Award, including an all expenses paid trip to Dante's Eighth Circle Of Hell awaits Coffee for

sedilia: The love of sedition.

It was inevitable that the sedilious b'tard Bales would eventually hang in the judge's noose over in the dictionary thread.

The "I'll think of an award tomorrow" Award yawns and wanders off to look in the refrigerator leaving xfox puzzled at the podium, for

sedilia - Procrastination.

"Don't talk about it", ordered the captain, "just do it!" Sedilia had completely overtaken the crew.

The Obde Tyop Awrad geos to Odbe fro

sedilia (n). A crime so henious that people would rather let it go unpunished than have to think about it.

Unfortunately everyone got away with anything in those days, because all it took was a bit of sedilia and people would be willing to pardon all your other offences just to be able to forget about your existence.

The Jayson Blair Award is not quite unobtusively enough lifted from the New York Times and attributed to Master_Jedi for

sedilia- a rare flower that has an odd smell that knocks out anything within 1 mile.

The Donald Hamilton "Can I At Least Buy Three Minutes Of Silence At the Going Rate?" Award repeats and repeats and repeats in the ears of funkytuba for

sedilia - the feeling of helpless unease experienced when the music provided by your coffeeshop doesn't quite fit your mood and you've left your personal music device in your other pants

After the third song in a row of theremin - singing saw duets, the sedilia became quite intense and Horace began frantically digging through his computer bag, to no avail.

The Ben-Wa Award murmurs "Excuse me" and elicits a small gasp from brightpearl for

sedilia - the icky goosebumps you get when someone mentions carrying a personal device in their pants.

The Gold Bond Medicating Powder Award and some unsolicited advice about bathing more often go to T.I.P. for

sedilia: uncontrolled impatience occurring towards the end of a round of dictionary game. Symptoms include scratching of the head and/or refreshing of the browser every 5 minutes.

Gianpaolo knew that he was having an onset of sedilia, so he decided to go outside and breathe for a while. After a short while he felt much better.

The Coveted Second Place Award, and the judge's personal thanks for the mental replay of Steve Goodman's "This Hotel Room", (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnSoww2-TEc) and The Steve Goodman Memorial "Put In A Quarter" Magic Fingers Bed Award tingles Hyakujo's Fox for

sedilia (n) a tingling in the buttocks commonly experienced by those in sedentary occupations, caused by an excess of sitting at desks and in meetings.

A recent WHO survey found 29% of office workers ranked sedilia as the highlight of their working day.

The Glorious First Place Award and The Chanel Gen X Award, still in the design stages, will be given to brightpearl as soon as it's finished for

sedilia - 1. A fabled Carribbean lily, the scent of which is so intoxicating that it was said to have lulled unwary explorers into sedentary stupor so fully that they wasted away, lost in its effects.
2. it has come to be used metaphorically, to refer to any delusional obsession that results in wasting

Cordelia was unable to see how her compulsive collecting of 18th century fire polished salt cellars had become her undoing, a domesticated crystalline sedilia, every bit as fatal as its botanical counterpart.

Take it Away, Brightpearl!

brightpearl 06-05-2007 09:41 AM

Bloody hell. I forgot that if I won, I'd have to do some work. Drat! I'll get back to you....

PS "Chanel Gen X" is a rather good description of me, actually.

brightpearl 06-05-2007 07:12 PM

The next word is

jaculiferous.

Have at you.

Words to the wise: You'll curry no favor with me by opting for the obvious and juvenile reference. :rolleyes:

zenbabe 06-06-2007 04:06 AM

jaculiferous.

verb: the action of becoming particularly aroused, usually under the table at Indian restaurants. This particular condition is influenced by the favor of curry and like color blindness, has only been exhibited to the male species.

daverbee 06-06-2007 09:33 AM

jaculiferous

Displaying the physical characteristics of a javelina.

In spite of his obvious porcine resemblance, Larry's jaculiferous physique had women flocking to meet him thanks to the "pig sticker" he carried below his belly.

Hyakujo's Fox 06-06-2007 09:52 AM

Jaculiferous (adj) being in such a raging perplexment to the degree that one can expel no words from the mouth, but only breath and saliva.

When daverbee realised that his earlier 'jaculiferous' round hadn't been quite so memorable to lodge itself permanently in the collective consciousness of the board, he was almost jaculiferous himself.

brightpearl 06-06-2007 10:11 AM

^^Oh no!! :eek: All apologies; I haven't been reading this thread long.

Let's switch it, shall we? Sorry for the inconvenience to the early entrants.

How's about

macropodine?

Hyakujo's Fox 06-06-2007 10:33 AM

I don't think it's a problem. :)