ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

xfox 05-24-2005 03:12 AM

hikikomori - extra long haikus.

trisherina 05-24-2005 04:00 AM

hikikomori: In Japanese beauty contests, a term describing the process whereby the first runner-up loses her temper and behaves inappropriately, expressing disrespect by wrenching the tiara from the head of the winner and crushing it under her tiny high-heeled shoe.

zenbabe 05-24-2005 04:05 AM

hikikomori: the urban legand excuse used by daughters to mothers, that it is in fact a curling iron (or flat iron for now'a'days) burn and not a lasting impression of last nights sucking face expierement that you had no idea about until you looked in the mirror the next day.

funkytuba 05-24-2005 04:50 AM

Hikkomori - a Japanese chef who went out for the title of "Iron Chef British" but didn't make the cut and ended up as "Tin Cook Liverpool"

Hyakujo's Fox 05-24-2005 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkytuba
Hikkomori - a Japanese chef who went out for the title of "Iron Chef British" but didn't make the cut and ended up as "Tin Cook Liverpool"

* * * imagines * * *

Chairman Kaga: Tonight's challenge is... NOODLES!!!!
Iron Chef British: I'm not cooking any of that foreign muck.

funkytuba 05-24-2005 04:59 AM

ICB: Roite! 'Oo 'ear wonts summa these heah bangers, oy? They're roite luverly, guv, fi dew soy soh moy sef.

Brynn 05-24-2005 05:31 AM

hikikomori - a Japanese version of the unoptioned American television pilot "Hikes With Maury" is the origin of a word that has come to mean any pleasantly strenuous activity with a loved one.

NimbleMarmoset 05-24-2005 01:32 PM

judging tonight at 8pm (PST).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dgrl/meter.gif

daverbee 05-24-2005 06:40 PM

This is probably a bit late but here goes:

Hikikomori:
A Japanese anime series about a little girl with a huge red growth on her neck.
The growth is in actuality an alien being which has come to earth to save us from certain death at the hands of extraterrestrial invaders.
In addition to the little girl who is perpetually clad in plaid skirt and navy blue sweater, the cast includes:
Her aging grandfather, a former Karate instructor.
Her best friend Yuko, differentiated from Hikikomori by the fact that she's in a different colored plaid skirt. Other than that, they're identical.
Her pet fish Sashimi...who can talk...and also transform himself into a giant robot killing machine.
Her little brother Joey. Every Japanese anime show has at least one character with a Western name.
Her father Hiro, a scientist with the Japanese Atomic Energy Research Commision.

NimbleMarmoset 05-25-2005 03:57 AM

Hikikomori (Japanese) are adolescents and young adults that feel overwhelmed by the Japanese society, feel unable to fulfill their expected social roles, and react with social withdrawal. Hikikomori often refuse to leave their parent's house, and may lock themselves in a single room for months or even years. According to some estimates there may be 1 million hikikomori in Japan, or one out of 10 young men. Most of them are male, and many of them are the eldest son.

While total social withdrawal seems to be mainly a Japanese phenomenon, there are reports of similar phenomena developing in Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong, which possess similar high pressure educational systems. On the other hand, Western youths who feel similar social pressures or bullying from peers and adults may become depressed, withdraw similar to hikikomori, or even lash out with hate and aggression.
Yikes!!!

~ ~ ~

Brynn: hikikomori - a Japanese version of the unoptioned American television pilot "Hikes With Maury" is the origin of a word that has come to mean any pleasantly strenuous activity with a loved one.

I loved that book! They made a tv movie too? ? ? incredulous. . . truly!

Funkytuba: Hikkomori - a Japanese chef who went out for the title of "Iron Chef British" but didn't make the cut and ended up as "Tin Cook Liverpool"

It's really all just semantics, isn't it?

zenbabe: hikikomori: the urban legand excuse used by daughters to mothers, that it is in fact a curling iron (or flat iron for now'a'days) burn and not a lasting impression of last nights sucking face expierement that you had no idea about until you looked in the mirror the next day

dontcha hate when that happens?

trisherina: hikikomori: In Japanese beauty contests, a term describing the process whereby the first runner-up loses her temper and behaves inappropriately, expressing disrespect by wrenching the tiara from the head of the winner and crushing it under her tiny high-heeled shoe.

*squeals* I loove high-heeled shoes. . . . pointy too?

xfox: -hikikomori: extra long haikus.

But an extra-short definition. Although the elliptical explanation is attractive. . . i want more beef.

Smartypants: hikikomori - The act of a man kicking another person to death.

I'm not quite fond of my immediate visual on this one. Let me warm up to that and my people will talk to your people.

craig johnston: hikikomori: is that moment of acute embarrassment while dining at the home of a japanese business colleague when, while eating sushi, you are overtaken by an attack of the hiccups and thereby regurgitate some smoked eel onto his wife's bosom just as you were about to compliment her on her california rolls.
it has often been the cause of the last minute cancellation of an important contract.
(see also: madam butterfly, pearl harbor)

[I hate one that happens too!

Dinzdale: hikikomori: a lurid bruise on the neck that everyone thinks you got having rampant hot sex with a nympho, but in fact got by hitting the cupboard when reaching for the cat food, despite all your feeble attempts to tell the truth

[have rampant sex regardless. . . . keep the cat food under the sink

Coffee: hikikomori-: A rarely used Kung Fu move (atlhough it is also known by other terms in other Martial disciplines) employed as a last desperate attempt to fend of a much larger opponent, or by females against aggressive males. Typically used against male opponents, although somewhat effective against female opponents as well, it is sometimes also refered to as "Swift Foot Seeking the Soft Spot" or "High Kick to the Sacred Jewels".

The hikikomori move is considered somewhat "unmanly" and thus is most often suggested for use by females against agressive males. This author recomends it be used against any male demonstrating less than "common sense" esp. if the move can be justifiably performed before the intended target breeds.

Hmmm. . . . although a Swift Foot Seeking the Sweet Spot might be even more effective, if not fatal. may i ponder while sippying my venti-2 pump, add shot w/whip?

Well, you are all pretty full of yourself, arentcha? :cool: Each and every participant's definition made me pause (wtf?!?) and the three place winners that actually made me smirk the widest are. . .

Coffee. Mainly because I adore koffee (koffee is king), 3rd place is all yours. your consolation prize is a Tiffany's sterling silver coffee filter. it's the thought counts, right?

second place goes to

Hyakujo’s Fox: hikikimori - love for a can-can dancer

Because I’m a sucker for a can-can dancer. hope you like your prize :) it's the coveted http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ock_monkey.gif

and the winner is daverbee http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...adgrl/king.gif

for getting your entry in just under the wire. i admire the underdog. when may i expect the next chapter?

daverbee, as the grand prize winner you will receive a keylime-pie-of-the-month, lovingly prepared by my Great Aunt Binky in the Home for the Terminally Incontinent Retired Person's community kitchen efficiency kitchen, until she croaks. Ohh. . . but you get to pick it up there. Oh, one more thing. . . tell her I say h. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...adgrl/slap.gif (can I keep the tiara 'il tomaurah?) take it away davers!!!

zenbabe 05-25-2005 04:40 AM

oh fvck all .....whatever!

http://www.maximumeyewear.com/produc...sunglasses.jpg

daverbee 05-25-2005 12:58 PM

Thank you, thank you!
Having only visited this thread a couple of times and not having much time to research what has already been posted, I present for your defining pleasure:

Callithump

Judging to be done Thursday night as I don't know if or when I'll be on a computer for a while after that...

xfox 05-25-2005 02:27 PM

Callithump n. The terrible and terrific noise made by California as it quakes, sliding into the Pacific Ocean separating physically from the continental United States. It is sincerely hoped this noise will not be heard in our lifetime. It is, however, known to the gods dwelling deep beneath the earth's surface.

Brynn 05-25-2005 05:51 PM

Callithump: the posthumous "sequel" to Call It Sleep, the acclaimed depression-era novel by Henry Roth. Callithump was written by adoring hunchbacked fan David Shelly, who imagined a psychic connection between himself and David Shearl, the fictional lead character of the Roth novel.
Shelly went on to write several other derivative novels such as For Whom the Hump Rolls, Camels I Have Loved, and One Hundred Years of Agonized Limping, all turned down for publication. Discouraged, the author of
Callithump went on to a brilliant career in performance art in the sixties and seventies. Documentation of his work can be found in Extreme Exposure: An Anthology of Solo Performance Texts From the Twentieth Century .

NimbleMarmoset 05-25-2005 08:13 PM

Callithump: v. phr. to swing dance as a group in a place where it is not normally done.

When dancers converge on one non-swing location with some sort of portable music source to dance, exposing the public to the dance. Another version is to go to hip hop/seventies club etc and dance swing. This was all the rage for a while until it was discovered that the actual effect was opposite of the intended effect (to get people to want to dance). 2005 [CesarWithShoes] Swing Society (Champaign, Ill.) (Mar. 28) “Callithump!”: Who wants to callithump the mall? Who has a boombox for Callithumping?