ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

trisherina 05-30-2005 05:02 AM

Okay, Dictionary Game players! There's still a little Sunday left in my time zone.

Award for "definition most synchronous with my personal issues this week" goes to madasacutsnake, whose definition what Snake says when some-one accuses her of *ahem* intimidation, threats and harassment (and doesn't that just reek of "I discussed it down the pub with the front bar experts"), as in "you'd better be wappenshaw that you don't want this job any more.", made me laugh and grimace at the same time.

The "get that visual out of my head!" award goes to xfox, whose wildly imaginative wappenshaw -What you wear on the North pole for 12 months of the year, except on May Day. This garment is styled to allow free movement of the arms and legs in case anything to eat passes by, and the wearer happens to be hungry. The trend for wappenshaws has waned and wanned, retaining popularity in spite of its dowdy appearance on the body probably because of its practicality. It is only available in white and is worn by everybody at one time or another caused enough squinting here to make the uneducated believe I might be approaching an age heralded for its association with bifocal use. Any rumours you hear of this nature are untrue. It was just the squinty squinty words.

The "uncharitable but nonetheless satisfying snort" award goes to Brynn with her raucous threesome:
(n.) where Barbara Walters goes to buy her guns.
(n.) convention where Barbara Walters displays her gift-wrapping skills.
(n.) what Baba Wawa secretly calls the whip she wields against her favorite rickshaw runner when she's in a big hurry.
For shame, Brynn. For shame. Mmmmmph!

Speaking of shame, daverbee brought his favourite fetish to the Dictionary Game: The act of spanking Robert Shaw, conductor of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and creator of the Robert Shaw Chorale for producing waaaaaaaaay too many "Pops" recordings.
Similar to a word used most recently in the Boston area to punish a certain film composer/conductor of the Boston Pops Orchestra for including a medley of his film hits on EVERY DAMN PROGRAM!!!!!, Wappenwilliams.
For the use of salacious language, daverbee is awarded the coveted second place.

That leaves the winner and still champ, Smartypants.

wappenshaw -- A chance circumstance, similar to "happenstance," except in a case of wappenshaw, it turns out to be of no surprise to anyone. For example, in a restaurant, a waiter drops a tray of glassware -- simple happenstance. However, if others in the room respond to the accident by thinking or saying, "I knew that was going to happen," than it is more-accurately called a case of wappenshaw.

This was just really good.

If you are still reading this, you probably know the true definition of the word. But just to say it:

n. muster of men with their weapons formerly held in certain areas of Scotland.

madasacutsnake 05-30-2005 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trisherina
Award for "definition most synchronous with my personal issues this week" goes to madasacutsnake

What can I say? I saw an opportunity to rant and I took it.

Smartypants 05-30-2005 05:59 PM

I am terribly honored, but at the moment I am at a hotel in Santa Barbara, and there is no way I can take up the baton until I return home later this evening. You may be patient and wait for my return to San Francisco, or if your itchiness to proceed is too much to bear, Trish can award this round to the runner up. I will check back later to find out what's been decided...

SP

Smartypants 05-31-2005 05:08 AM

Okey dokey, then! Go to it! Here's your word:

cotquean

Coffee 05-31-2005 08:25 AM

cotquean;
The most effeminate member of a French Foreign Legion platoon.

daverbee 05-31-2005 01:53 PM

Cotquean:

An aging, formerly beautiful female French film star, now overweight and sporting one too many facelifts. Most often seen on a Mediterranean beach wearing a thong and high heeled sandals, fueling nightmares in small children.
The Cotquean deludes herself into thinking she will again be discovered as the stunning beauty she once was.
Sipping wine all day, slathered in suntan oil, screaming at service personnel, the Cotquean goes through life in a constant state of expectation of a return to a past that was fleeting at best.
A true lesson in the fickle nature of life, the Cotquean, in spite of her surly demeanor and inflated ego, deserves our pity and sympathy...and, of course, the ridicule of standup comics...

Brynn 06-01-2005 12:19 AM

cotquean - adj. writhing, blatantly lewd. Often used to describe the over-friendly behavior of certain domesticated cats as they drop to the sidewalk, exposing their underbellies for strangers. Fluffy's cotquean behavior in front of her house has earned her the dubious title of "Sidewalk Slut" with the neighbors.

trisherina 06-01-2005 03:36 AM

cotquean: A belief or occurrence that is common, but not quite so common as to be described as quotidian: He had a good grasp of the language, but his cotquean misspellings marked him as a lax grammarian.

dinzdale 06-01-2005 07:18 PM

cotquean adj.

Descriptive word meaning the feeling experienced sitting on a public toilet seat and finding it still warm from the previous occupant.

Brynn 06-02-2005 12:34 AM

:p ewww!

Hyakujo's Fox 06-02-2005 08:44 AM

dinz almost had it.

cotquean adj.

Descriptive word meaning the feeling experienced sitting on a public toilet seat and finding it is still occupied by the previous occupant.

xfox 06-02-2005 01:51 PM

cotquean n. -the queasy feeling one has when one's house guest takes the most comfortable seat and / or bed when staying for a long visit. Ezra endured cotquean while serving his guest's every need.

Brynn 06-03-2005 12:05 AM

cotquean (n.) - a companion piece of furniture that lays next to a cotquing.

Smartypants 06-06-2005 12:26 AM

and away we go...

cotquean Fer real, according to Websters: 1. a coarse, masculine woman; 2. A man who busies himself with women's work or affairs.

Mr. Caffeine sez: cotquean - The most effeminate member of a French Foreign Legion platoon.

Mr. Dave sez: cotquean - An aging, formerly beautiful female French film star, now overweight and sporting one too many facelifts. Most often seen on a Mediterranean beach wearing a thong and high heeled sandals, fueling nightmares in small children. ... etc. ... etc. ... ad infinitum....

Ms. B sez: cotquean - adj. writhing, blatantly lewd. Often used to describe the over-friendly behavior of certain domesticated cats as they drop to the sidewalk, exposing their underbellies for strangers. Fluffy's cotquean behavior in front of her house has earned her the dubious title of "Sidewalk Slut" with the neighbors.

Ms. Trish sez: cotquean - A belief or occurrence that is common, but not quite so common as to be described as quotidian: He had a good grasp of the language, but his cotquean misspellings marked him as a lax grammarian.

The gentile Mr. Dinzdale sez: cotquean - adj. Descriptive word meaning the feeling experienced sitting on a public toilet seat and finding it still warm from the previous occupant.

Mr didactic HFox sez, condescendingly to Dinz: cotquean - adj. Descriptive word meaning the feeling experienced sitting on a public toilet seat and finding it is still occupied by the previous occupant.

Ms. XFox sez: cotquean n. - the queasy feeling one has when one's house guest takes the most comfortable seat and / or bed when staying for a long visit. Ezra endured cotquean while serving his guest's every need.

And Ms B., impatient for my answer chimes in again with: cotquean (n.) - a companion piece of furniture that lays next to a cotquing.

---------

Judge Pants Speaks:

Coffee's, though great, is too close to the real thing, and that apparently (judging from previous contests) is not allowed. Sorry, C.

Dinz and HFx cancel each other out by talking in class without permission.

I like Brynn's first definition, but I kept picturing a woman rather than a cat writhing lewdly on the sidewalk, and this image upsets me too much to be able to lift the award to hand it to her. B's second def is clever, but just not clever enough. (That's me being hyperjudgmental, as is my wont.)

Daverbee ran on too long. I don't usually gripe about those things, but since I've been chastised for doing so in the past, it would simply chap my hide to reward another for doing the same.

And anyway, Trisherina won me over hands down with both her definition, and her eloquence in stating it.

Good work to all! :D Trish, dish the next.

funkytuba 06-06-2005 03:27 AM

A LATE BREAKING ENTRY FROM FUNKYTUBA
cotquean - relating to a companion's tendency to take up more than their fair share of the bed
Relegated to the couch, the next day I urged her to repent of her cotquean tendencies.