ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

daverbee 07-16-2005 12:52 AM

Two entries?
Two entries???
OK, judging tomorrow morning whenever I'm awake enough to make a decision.
Also, I want to note that now that my workplace has banned message boards from our computers, I can no longer log onto the Zeboard at work.
This is gonna limit my time here and will seriously limit what I can contribute to this game in particular. So, I'm gonna continue to offer definitions for chosen words but would appreciate not being considered as a competitor as I won't have the time to devote to judging, choosing words, etc. Thanks!
Now...Get yer definitions for lygerastia in soon!

madasacutsnake 07-16-2005 02:39 AM

^^

I suggest the next word be nzibstds.

Hyakujo's Fox 07-16-2005 03:29 AM

lygerastia - a pale alpine flower that only blooms at night.

Literally meaing "under the stars" from the latin lyger: beneath + ast(r)ia: stars

Marcus Bales 07-16-2005 12:52 PM

lygerastia - running the vacuum cleaner back and forth over something that it hasn't picked up the first time, then bending over, plucking the offending something from whatever is keeping it stuck, then standing back up to give the vacuum cleaner some more chances at it. From the Latin, lyger, to just lie there. In some cases this becomes an obsessive-compulsive behavior.

Brynn 07-16-2005 05:27 PM

lygerastia - a regret-induced headache that results from habitual prevarications concerning your whereabouts to prying relatives.
Late again from work after overdoing it at the Knotty Pines Pub happy hour, Harry begged off his warmed-over dinner to collapse on his bed with a severe case of lygerastia.

daverbee 07-16-2005 10:21 PM

lygerastia
The condition of one who is only amorous when the lights are out.
(See also: Dinzdale)

(That last part is mine...)

Well, y'all turned this into quite an entertaining word at the last minute!
It was a close three way race between Brynn, Marcus, and HFox but I'll have to give it to the been-there-done-that definition that Marcus gave us.
Go to it, Mr. Bales!

Brynn 07-16-2005 10:37 PM

Now Daverbee, I can't log on at work either, but that doesn't stop me from neglecting my children and alienating my husband at home in order to play the Dictionary Game! Come on now, you can't remove yourself from the competition so easily - the quality of the experience will suffer with you out of the running. :(

Marcus Bales 07-17-2005 12:36 AM

New word: adiaphoron

trisherina 07-17-2005 04:32 AM

Adiaphoron: On Star Trek, the eyebrow shape that signaled "wrong side of the track" alien status.

12"razormix 07-18-2005 12:45 PM

adiaphoron n.
someone who feels compelled to make expensive gifts to everyone they know, even to people they just met. it's an obsessive/compulsive condition that can be controlled with medication.

xfox 07-19-2005 12:11 PM

adiaphoron a personally defining life choice that doesn't hurt anybody else, and wouldn't change the world for better or worse anyway. A type of non-question.

Brynn 07-19-2005 05:09 PM

Adiaphoron - The Wonder Spore

AP News release - The world of advertising is about to change. You probably won't even notice, and that's the way product marketing departments want to keep it. Tired of the negative rap, not to mention skyrocketing costs that T.V. advertising has been hit with in recent years, ad executives the world over are wetting themselves in glee over new "stealth" technology pioneered by Dr. Bernard Mercato, Ph.D., now widely considered the Buck Rogers of 21st century advertising because of his amazing discoveries made as a biochemical engineer at MIT.

Here's what he had to say to a crowd of approximately 4000 at the recent World Advertising Network Technologies (WANT) convention at the Weiden-Kennedy Center in Portland, Oregon as he accepted the organization's highest life achievement award for technological advances.

"Who would have thought that true advertising mind control could be so attainable, and yet so invisible to so many people at such a time as this? Thanks to a seemingly insignificant microscopic spore found deep in the Amazon jungle, we are now able to attach advertising microchip "continuous feeds" that bond to these amazing but harmless little bioorganisms called sphorons. When injected into a human subject, the newly loaded "adiaphoron" speeds to the neural centers of the brain and begins attaching itself to the firing mechanism of brain cells, thereby completely eliminating the need for any outside electronic device to carry the advertisers' message. We have truly come to the end of our global dependence on T.V., radio, cell phones and the internet and have glimpsed an exciting new world of opportunity that has virtually no limit. No horizon. No restriction. No boundary."
His standing ovation lasted for approximately seven minutes, and at that moment, "adiaphoron" became what may be the conversational catch word of the decade, if not the millenium.
Plans are already underway to initially personalize the individual adiaphoron experience by using focus groups and surveys. As adiaphoron use multiplies and networks mature, advertisers will then be able to remotely tap into whatever the needs and desires are of the individual consumer before he is even able to articulate them.

"Oh, the possibilities are endless," one conventioneer enthused. "Just think - whole industries of music, art, gaming, entertainment will open up as the demand for the instant feed grows. It goes way beyond what kind of razor blade you might want to buy, or where you'd want to vacation. With an Adiaphoron feed, it can virtually take you there !"

Dr. Mercato has been the target of intense protest from fringe groups who have objected to his efforts to introduce the Adiaphoron into the vaccine supply. However, a new bill is pending that will remove tough restrictions on corporations so they can continue to manipulate vaccine ingredients if they can prove that it will generally benefit the economy. It is showing every likelihood of passing, and if it does, critics and fans alike will be looking forward to an entirely new mode of decision-making in every level of existence. And they'll hardly give it a thought, if WANT and Dr. Mercato have their way.

(Reprinted by permission from the Jun. 5, 2017 issue of "Brand")

trisherina 07-19-2005 06:46 PM

(chuckles nervously)

daverbee 07-20-2005 12:19 AM

Adiaphoron
A little known play by Greek playwright Aristophanes.
The subject of the play is debatable. Some scholars look at it as a morality play on the dangers of excessive jump-roping. Others consider it a play about taco makers. The vast majority of critics wisely ignore it.

Hyakujo's Fox 07-20-2005 02:40 AM

Adiaphoron (n) a neurotransmitter suspected to play a pivotal role in inducing crazy-in-love type behaviour. Based on the Latin 'adiaphora' - an exclamation commonly used to express overwhelming romantic attachment.