ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

Frieda 10-21-2009 04:54 PM

lanolin, wool alcohols, wool, glue, dust mite, dog hair, pollen.

Brynn 10-21-2009 06:21 PM

Penicillin, wheat :(

I love good crusty garlic bread, crackers, pasta, Italian food, cookies - I sneak bites. Few things smell as good or taste as good as wheat to me - not polenta, not corn tortillas, not rye, not spelt, not garbanzo bean flour, not quinoa, not rice pasta - nothing tastes as good as wheat. So grains aren't a big part of my diet.

If I over-do it, I get excema on the left side of my face, and if I ignore that over the long term, colon cancer.

Peregrine 10-21-2009 09:53 PM

Cat epithelium, dog epithelium, dust, mixed feathers, mite farinae, mite D.P., tobacco, alternaria, helminthosporium, hormodendrum, birch, Orchard, Perennial rye, Timothy, cat pelt, cockroach, tree pollen, grass, meadow fescue, red top, sweet vernal, cocklebur, dandelion, Green pea, spinach, string bean, clam, lobster, scallop, banana (Ray Comfort was right in one case at least), peanut, mussels, buckwheat, lima bean, salmon, tuna, sunflower seed, cantaloupe, and coconut.

Mostly, I just get stuffed up. except for the seafood, which makes the back of my throat swell up.

YsaPur EsChomuw 10-23-2009 03:25 PM

I don't know yet.

MoJoRiSin 10-23-2009 04:43 PM

mo is allergic to wheat if she eats it more than once a week
whole wheat is worse than white so for instance if she goes to a resturant where they put bread on the table she eats it but not otherwuse :confused:
^^peregrine :: mo wants to get a grant to study this
runny/and or stuffed up symptom as it relates to food allergies
(wheat and petrochemicals in particular)
my question is this :: one hundred years ago did people who had food allergies have these (hay fever ?) symptoms ?
I never heard of this even in the 1980's

zero 10-23-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrine
...Cat epithelium, dog epithelium, dust, mixed feathers, mite farinae, mite D.P., tobacco, alternaria, helminthosporium, hormodendrum, birch, Orchard, Perennial rye, Timothy, cat pelt, cockroach, tree pollen, grass, meadow fescue, red top, sweet vernal, cocklebur, dandelion, Green pea, spinach, string bean, clam, lobster, scallop, banana ... peanut, mussels, buckwheat, lima bean, salmon, tuna, sunflower seed, cantaloupe, and coconut ...

give them a rub

Peregrine 10-23-2009 05:02 PM

Mo, most of my food allergies are mild, except that they tend to lower my resistance to the environmental allergens. Some of them might make my skin itch a little when I handle them. It was annoying, but not critical. I used to work at a restaurant, and my hands tended to itch for a while whenever I had to prepare shellfish.

People probably had allergies for as long as there have been people. They just... tended to die from them. I'd imagine industrial pollutants and thing like tobacco use tended to make mild reactions more pronounced, and therefore noticeable, but also medical science has progressed to the point that symptoms that used to be fatal are now severe, or at least survivable if properly treated. So either inadvertently, or by design, we've corralled the disease into a smaller space where it can be diagnosed and studied more effectively. That's my guess, anyway.

Also, doctors have actually become competent and learned to give a shit in the last century or two. Where previously they wrote it off as a cold, or an imbalance of the humours, or something.

MoJoRiSin 10-23-2009 06:54 PM

^ Peregrine your arguments have won me over
you are most certainly correct
thank you for correcting me in this matter

oh yea > mo is very allergic to walnuts as well

lukkucairi 10-23-2009 07:15 PM

I'm drawing a line between sensitivities and proper allergies -

allergies to every pollen released by western U.S. trees, and at least half the weeds and bushes; all proper tree nuts; mangoes; dust mites; poison ivy...

sensitivities to all grains except rice, corn, quinoa, and amaranth. I don't break out in hives if I eat wheat, rye, barley etc., but they give me a cranial neuralgia that feels like a sadistic dwarf sitting on my shoulder and stabbing me in the head with an ice pick :)

brightpearl 10-23-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero (Post 416681)
give them a rub

I think you mean "tapeworm."

lukkucairi 10-23-2009 07:47 PM

^ nothing like a little therapeutic parasitical infection

brightpearl 10-23-2009 08:11 PM

Well, hopefully now that they've figured out what the worms do to your immune system to reduce allergic response, they can synthesize it, and you can take a pill rather than...you know...some eggs.
:eek:

brightpearl 10-23-2009 08:13 PM

Or you could do this.

I'm actually open to some of the things mentioned, but it's still funny. :D

Peregrine 10-23-2009 09:20 PM

Paging Doctor Avogadro! Code grey, Emergency!

lukkucairi 10-23-2009 10:09 PM

qotd 20091023

can I play with your teddy bear ?