ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Fourth of July (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=17324)

Klynne 07-03-2011 11:33 PM

The Fourth of July

For some reason, in the State of Michigan, especially on the west side of the state, people start setting off fireworks a month before the blessed event. I don't care, does not bother me...My dog is a wreck. Huddles and hides. She acts like a PTSD victim fresh back from being on the front line. I try to comfort her, but, she does not believe me that we are not under a full attack from the enemy lines. sigh.

xfox 07-04-2011 12:09 PM

Your doggy is actually okay, K.. Eats, right? Poops, too? Animals react, and me too sometimes. Some enjoy horror flics, right? Some, love stories.

I always think of my Dad on this day many years ago today he was born in Beverly MA (home of the Navy), enlisted in WWII fought in the Pacific and died in '78 on December 7th. How does one get more patriotic than that? He loved what he did and most of his life did what he loved, flew planes and sailed. I regret that governments take advantage of youth and it's requisite sense of immortality, and wish we did not have differences and desires to conquer, alas.

We are (sort of) free as a result of a few good men, however, and very good fortune.

Frieda 07-06-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klynne (Post 428761)
For some reason, in the State of Michigan, especially on the west side of the state, people start setting off fireworks a month before the blessed event. I don't care, does not bother me...My dog is a wreck. Huddles and hides. She acts like a PTSD victim fresh back from being on the front line. I try to comfort her, but, she does not believe me that we are not under a full attack from the enemy lines. sigh.

if you comfort a dog when he's scared, he will see it as a reward for acting afraid. just try and act relaxed and go about your daily business. the dog will see you are calm and act accordingly. they're dogs, not kids ;)

Klynne 07-15-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 428765)
if you comfort a dog when he's scared, he will see it as a reward for acting afraid. just try and act relaxed and go about your daily business. the dog will see you are calm and act accordingly. they're dogs, not kids ;)

You are right on point. I asked a friend of mine that is a vet tech, and she told me to ignore my dog when she freaks out. For the exact reasons you said.

Klynne 07-15-2011 09:07 PM

[quote=xfox;428762]Your doggy is actually okay, K.. Eats, right? Poops, too? Animals react, and me too sometimes. Some enjoy horror flics, right? Some, love stories.

I always think of my Dad on this day many years ago today he was born in Beverly MA (home of the Navy), enlisted in WWII fought in the Pacific and died in '78 on December 7th. How does one get more patriotic than that? He loved what he did and most of his life did what he loved, flew planes and sailed. I regret that governments take advantage of youth and it's requisite sense of immortality, and wish we did not have differences and desires to conquer, alas.

We are (sort of) free as a result of a few good men, however, and very good fortune.[/QUOTE

We certainly owe the people of our armed forces, past, and present. My uncle, my father's only sibling, died in Vietnam in 1972. My uncle was a dentist and his education was paid for through the ROTC. He had to repay this debt. He died in a jeep accident. He was leaving an officer's club, and the man driving hit another vehicle. He was only 28. This has left a huge hole in my dad's heart. My poor grandmother never got over it, even until her last few weeks on earth. She died of cancer. While she was in the hospice, she always wanted to talk about him. I don't remember him, I was all of 4 when he died. She said to me "When you father was a little boy, he always asked for a little sister. So, when I became pregnant, I prayed that I would have a girl. Do you think this is why God took my son from me? I prayed for a sister for your dad, and then I had a boy. Did God punish me for this?" God, talk about gut wrenching. I reassured her that I do not believe God works in this sort of way. Just sad to think this is how she thought about things for years....

trisherina 07-16-2011 04:01 AM

I am not surprised to read that your dad was a naval aviator. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfox (Post 428762)
Your doggy is actually okay, K.. Eats, right? Poops, too? Animals react, and me too sometimes. Some enjoy horror flics, right? Some, love stories.

We are (sort of) free as a result of a few good men, however, and very good fortune.

MoJoRiSin 07-16-2011 05:08 PM

^^ Next time around (or if this sort of thing ever happens to someone else
Don't say anything just leave the premises for an hour or so and then come back with a large
"Ghetto blaster" or some surch. Maybe tuned in to the Christian rock
Station
Or maybe with this song :: Jeremy Camp. "The Way"
On endless repeat
(With the volume turned up high. !!)

ps
lest everyone forget:: "the fourth of July should be celebrated with pomp and parade"