ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   Et Cetera (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   quotation debate, part II (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=13246)

brightpearl 03-31-2008 10:34 PM

God runs electromagnetics by wave theory on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and the Devil runs them by quantum theory on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
~Wm. Bragg, Sr.

YsaPur EsChomuw 04-01-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightpearl (Post 382907)
God runs electromagnetics by wave theory on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and the Devil runs them by quantum theory on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
~Wm. Bragg, Sr.

Oh, so that's why my electrical generator doesn't work on Sundays!

Anna 04-02-2008 03:11 AM

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. --Thomas Jefferson

zero 04-03-2008 03:30 PM

remember, remember, the 5th of november
the gunpowder treason and plot;
i see of no reason why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.

guy fawkes, guy fawkes,
'twas his intent.
to blow up the king and the parliament.
three score barrels of powder below.
poor old england to overthrow.

- children's rhyme recited each guy fawkes night, the 5th of november, when effigies of him are traditionally burned.

Marcus Bales 04-03-2008 11:05 PM

Treason never prospers --
What's the reason?
Why, when it prospers
None dare call it treason.

Hyakujo's Fox 04-04-2008 02:03 AM

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear.

-- Cicero Marcus Tullius

Marcus Bales 04-04-2008 10:20 AM

Truth made you a traitor as it often does in a time of scoundrels. - Lillian Hellman

YsaPur EsChomuw 04-04-2008 10:35 AM

Compromise is but the sacrifice of one right or good in the hope of retaining another-too often ending in the loss of both.

Marcus Bales 04-04-2008 11:17 AM

The pursuit, even of the best things, ought to be calm and tranquil. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

12"razormix 04-05-2008 02:17 PM

waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. be one.

marcus aurelius

zero 04-05-2008 02:30 PM

one flash of light
but no smoking pistol

i never done good things
i never done bad things
i never did anything out of the blue

-db

12"razormix 04-05-2008 02:33 PM

blue, blue, electric blue
that's the colour of my room

YsaPur EsChomuw 04-05-2008 02:35 PM

There is more war fever, and troops are being entrained. There is a party of dervishes in their long pointed hats and voluminous robes, overblowing on their shawms and neys, crashing their cymbals and thrashing their drums, salivating, screaming, rolling their eyes. All around them the ordinary folk are falling into the contagious hysteria, crying out, swooning, in an ebullition of fanaticism.
Mustafa Kemal sees this and feels a bitter shame and embarrassment on behalf of his people. The blood rises to his cheeks, and anger to his throat. He divines clearly the advanced symptoms of spiritual and philosophical immaturity, he smells a repellent backwardness, a radical irrationality and credulity which is only just beneath the surface, and he is increasingly convinced that it is Islam that is holding his people back, locking them behind the door that separates the medieval from the modern age. He will never understand why it is that so many of them actually like to be there, locked behind the door, enwombed within their tiny horizon, perpetually consoled and reassured by their tendentious but unchanging certainties.

Louis de Berničres: Birds Without Wings

Marcus Bales 04-06-2008 12:34 PM

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,

angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,

who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities contemplating jazz,

who bared their brains to Heaven under the El and saw Mohammedan angels staggering on tenement roofs illuminated,

who passed through universities with radiant eyes hallucinating Arkansas and Blake-light tragedy among the scholars of war ...

from Howl, Allen Ginsberg

YsaPur EsChomuw 04-06-2008 01:15 PM

Having suddenly sighted, through the porthole of an interstellar vehicle,
that village brawl, known as the Battle of Nations,
that local flare-up of the hot blood of the human race;
political parties, protesters, screaming, flailing soap-box orators;
philosophies shining in every colour above the rutting rabble of devils;
taxes, like road-tax, smoke-tax, air-tax, sky-tax, wet-tax, dry-tax, to name but a few,
the impalings, hangings, drawings and quarterings, the stake,
well, everything that is covered and covered up by the term: East- Central Europe;
and realizing also that in this brothel, where beggars bargain for beggars,
we try to establish the golden section between prosperity and freedom
every time we see tomorrow's butterfly in the worm of today,
in other words, we even manage to love somehow our intolerable madness, -
the Angel of the Lord, an innocent country character from an open, transparent world,
could only gape and say this much: WELL, I NEVER!

Ottó Orbán: WITH ALIEN EYES
An outsider, if such could exist