ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   Et Cetera (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   quotation debate, part II (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=13246)

Marcus Bales 02-29-2008 04:37 PM

Be as decent as you can. Don't believe without evidence. Treat things divine with marked respect -- don't have anything to do with them. Do not trust humanity without collateral security; it will play you some scurvy trick. Remember that it hurts no one to be treated as an enemy entitled to respect until he shall prove himself a friend worthy of affection. Cultivate a taste for distasteful truths. And, finally, most important of all, endeavor to see things as they are, not as they ought to be.

-- Ambrose Bierce

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-01-2008 01:30 AM

We always stand on an island,’ she said, ‘the cold place of not knowing, and not being able to care.

William Brodrick: the gardens of the dead

12"razormix 03-01-2008 08:55 AM

Once when I was in Hawaii, on the island of Kauai, I met a mysterious old stranger. He said he was about to die and wanted to tell someone about the treasure. I said, 'Okay, as long as it's not a long story. Some of us have a plane to catch, you know.' He stared telling his story, about the treasure and his life and all, and I thought: 'This story isn't too long.' But then, he kept going, and I started thinking, 'Uh-oh, this story is getting long.' But then the story was over, and I said to myself: 'You know, that story wasn't too long after all.' I forget what the story was about, but there was a good movie on the plane. It was a little long, though."

Jack Handey

Marcus Bales 03-01-2008 09:48 AM

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.
– HL Mencken

12"razormix 03-01-2008 12:28 PM

why do you stay in prison
when the door is so wide open?

nonny jalal ad-din rumi

zero 03-01-2008 12:44 PM

with a hey and a ho and hey-nonny-no!
that o'er the green cornfield did pass,
hey-nonny-no, hey-nonny-no!
in the springtime, only ring time, birds do song,
hey-ding-a-ding-ding, hey-ding-a-ding-ding

- william shakespeare as you like it

Marcus Bales 03-01-2008 01:06 PM

The bells of hell go ring a ling a ling
For you but not for me
The demons grin and sing a ling a ling
In four-part harmony
They sing they'll off your ding a ling a ling
And eat it like a Brie
O Death where is thy sting a ling a ling
Or Grave thy victoreeeeeee?
The bells of hell go ring a ling a ling
For you but not for me.

-- anon, with help from the Poetry Rewrite Desk

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-02-2008 03:52 AM

Later she was scared. Of saying yes. Of saying no. Of saying yes then realising she should have said no. Of saying no then realising she should have said yes. Of being naked in front of another man when her body sometimes made her feel like weeping.

Mark Haddon: A Spot of Bother

zero 03-02-2008 12:19 PM

DEREK ZOOLANDER: im pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. and i plan on finding out what that is.

Marcus Bales 03-02-2008 01:00 PM

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth — more than ruin -- more even than death. ... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.
– Bertrand Russell

trisherina 03-02-2008 01:19 PM

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.

-- Jack Handey

Marcus Bales 03-02-2008 04:35 PM

Whenever people say 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.

-- Brigid Brophy

12"razormix 03-02-2008 05:15 PM

people see the world not as it is, but as they are.

al lee

zero 03-02-2008 05:34 PM

DONKEY: blue flower, red thorns! blue flower, red thorns! blue flower, red thorns! oh, this would be so much easier if i wasn't color-blind!

- from shrek

Marcus Bales 03-02-2008 08:52 PM

The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish spurting out ink. In our age there is no such thing as keeping out of politics. All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. When the general atmosphere is bad, language must suffer.

-George Orwell

trisherina 03-02-2008 09:12 PM

How did an allegedly free people spawn a vast, rampant cuttlefish of dominion with its tentacles in every orifice of the body politic?

P.J. O'Rourke, Parliament of Whores

Hyakujo's Fox 03-02-2008 09:50 PM

I would like to welcome our new squid overlords.

~ trisherina

brightpearl 03-02-2008 10:13 PM

A lot of my peer group think I'm an eccentric bisexual, like I may even have an ammonia-filled tentacle somewhere on my body. That's okay.

~Robert Downey, Jr.

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-07-2008 11:16 AM

He didn’t have a problem with homosexuality per se. Men having sex with men. One could imagine, if one was in the business of imagining such things, that there were situations where it might happen, situations in which chaps were denied the normal outlets. Military camps. Long sea voyages. One didn’t want to dwell on the plumbing but one could almost see it as a sporting activity. Letting off steam. High spirits. Handshake and a hot shower afterwards.
It was the thought of men purchasing furniture together which disturbed him. Men snuggling. More disconcerting, somehow, than shenanigans in public toilets. It gave him the unpleasant feeling that there was a weakness in the very fabric of the world. Like seeing a man hit a woman in the street. Or suddenly not being able to remember the bedroom you had as a child.
Still, things changed. Mobile phones. Thai restaurants. You had to remain elastic or you turned into an angry fossil railing at litter.

Mark Haddon: A Spot of Bother

Marcus Bales 03-07-2008 01:33 PM

'Don't blame me, Pongo,' said Lord Ickenham, 'if Lady Constance takes her lorgnette to you. God bless my soul, though, you can't compare the lorgnettes of today with the ones I used to know as a boy. I remember walking one day on Grosvenor Square with my Aunt Brenda and her pug dog Jabberwocky, and a policeman came up and said the latter ought to be wearing a muzzle. My aunt made no verbal reply. She merely whipped her lorgnette from its holder and looked at the man, who gave one choking gasp and fell back against the railings, eyes starting as if he had seen some dreadful sight. A doctor was sent for, and they managed to bring him round, but he was never the same again. He had to leave the Force, and eventually drifted into the grocery business. And that is how Sir Thomas Lipton got his start.’
-- PG Wodehouse, "Uncle Fred in the Springtime", 1939

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-11-2008 03:30 PM

It was an old pain returning to find that William Thornhill, felon, was waiting under the skin of William Thornhill, landowner.
A man’s heart was a deep pocket he might turn out and be amazed at what he found there.

Kate Grenville: The Secret River

brightpearl 03-11-2008 03:59 PM

A woman's heart must be of such a size and no larger, else it must be pressed small, like Chinese feet; her happiness is to be made as cakes are, by a fixed recipe.
~ Marian Evans (George Eliot)

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-11-2008 04:33 PM

I'm just a person trapped inside a woman's body.

Elayne Boosler

trisherina 03-12-2008 12:43 AM

And when a woman's will is as strong as the man's who wants to govern her, half her strength must be concealment.

-- George Eliot

Hyakujo's Fox 03-12-2008 01:51 AM

If I was a woman who'd been to a ball,
Been hailed as a princess by one and by all;
Would I start weeping like a bathtub overflowing?
And carry on as if my home were in a tree?
Would I run off and never tell me where I'm going?
Why can't a woman be like me?

~ Professor Higgins

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-12-2008 02:32 AM

Men and women can never understand each other. Both want something else: the man the woman, the woman the man.

Frigyes Karinthy

Hyakujo's Fox 03-12-2008 02:42 AM

in the evening when her work is done
she descends from the mountain
and her hair takes on the sunset
and it makes it easy for me to forget

she speaks a different language
she speaks a different language
but i seem to understand

~ tex perkins

zero 03-14-2008 12:57 PM

language as the technology of human extension, whose powers of division and separation we know so well, may have been the tower of babel by which men sought to scale the highest heavens.

- marshall mcLuhan

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-14-2008 01:02 PM

Language is the only homeland.

Czeslaw Milosz

zero 03-14-2008 01:24 PM

LYDON (mumbling): well that's just their tough shit.

GRUNDY: it's what?

LYDON: nothing. a rude word. next question!

GRUNDY: no, no. what was the rude word?

LYDON: shit.

GRUNDY: was it really? god, you frighten me to death.

LYDON: oh alright, siegfried…

GRUNDY: what about you girls behind?

MATLOCK: he's like yer dad ain’t he, this geezer. Or your Grandad.

GRUNDY: are you worried or just enjoying yourself?

SIOUXSIE: enjoying myself.

GRUNDY: are you?

SIOUXSIE: yeah.

GRUNDY: ah! that's what i thought you were doing.

SIOUXSIE: i've always wanted to meet you.

GRUNDY: did you really?

SIOUXSIE: yeah.

GRUNDY: we'll meet afterwards, shall we?

JONES: you dirty sod. you dirty old man.

GRUNDY: well keep going, chief. keep going. go on, you've got another ten seconds. say something outrageous.

JONES: you dirty bastard.

GRUNDY: go on, again.

STEVE: you dirty fvcker!

GRUNDY: what a clever boy.

JONES: you fvcking rotter!

GRUNDY (to the camera): well that's it for tonight. i'll be seeing you soon. i hope l'll not be seeing you (the band) again. from me though, goodnight.

12"razormix 03-14-2008 01:47 PM

see the fine, upstanding, young men britain is chucking out these days.

johnny rotten

zero 03-14-2008 03:05 PM

exile is terrible to those who have, as it were, a circumscribed habitation; but not to those who look upon the whole globe but as one city.

- cicero

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-14-2008 03:43 PM

Here, there was a gathering of lower-rise blocks, four storeys high, along with a few rows of terraced houses.
“The houses were built for pensioners,” Rebus explained. “Something to do with keeping them within the community.”
“Nice dream, as Tom Yorke would say.”
That was Knoxland, all right: a nice dream. Plenty more like it elswhere in the city. Their architects would have been so proud of the scale drawings and cardboard models. Nobody ever set out to design a ghetto, after all.

Ian Rankin: Fleshmarket Close

brightpearl 03-14-2008 04:09 PM

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

~Laurie Anderson

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-14-2008 04:16 PM

It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression 'as pretty as an airport.'

Douglas Adams: The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

12"razormix 03-14-2008 05:18 PM

for every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.

ivan panin

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-14-2008 07:40 PM

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.

Anais Nin

Hyakujo's Fox 03-18-2008 08:14 PM

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'

- George Bernard Shaw

zero 03-19-2008 02:58 PM

the only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

arthur c. clarke - 16 december 1917 – 19 march 2008 R.I.P.

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-19-2008 03:40 PM

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Lewis Carroll