ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   Et Cetera (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   quotation debate, part II (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=13246)

12"razormix 03-19-2008 04:20 PM

somewhere there is some place that one million eyes can't see
and somewhere there is someone who can see what i can see

sm

zero 03-19-2008 04:49 PM

there's four new colors in the rainbow ...

- james

12"razormix 03-19-2008 04:54 PM

can you see me
i'm in the lukewarm rain
try so very hard
you know i just can't explain
think of a colour
tell me what you see
that colour's red
you can take it from me

sm

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-19-2008 05:03 PM

When I cannot see words curling like rings of smoke around me I am in darkness — I am nothing. I only come into existence when the plumber, or the horse dealers, or whoever it may be, says something which sets me alight. Then how lovely the smoke of my phrase is, rising and falling, flaunting and falling, upon red lobsters and yellow fruit, wreathing them into one beauty.

Virginia Woolf

zero 03-19-2008 05:40 PM

the flowery style is not unsuitable to public speeches or addresses, which amount only to compliment. The lighter beauties are in their place when there is nothing more solid to say; but the flowery style ought to be banished from a pleading, a sermon, or a didactic work.

- voltaire

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-19-2008 05:44 PM

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. That is the only secret of style.

Matthew Arnold

zero 03-20-2008 01:27 PM

if you want in on the Discordian Society
then declare yourself what you wish
do what you like
and tell us about it
or
if you prefer
don't.

there are no rules anywhere.
the goddess prevails.

- malaclypse the younger, principia discordia, page 00032

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-20-2008 01:38 PM

One of the goddesses had been having some very serious trouble with her dress, Brutha noticed; if Brother Nhumrod had been present, he would have had to hurry off for some very serious lying down.
"Petulia, Goddess of Negotiable Affection," said Om. "Worshiped by the ladies of the night and every other time as well, if you catch my meaning."
Brutha's mouth dropped open.
"They've got a goddess for painted jezebels?"
"Why not? Very religious people I understand. They're used to being on their-they spend so much time looking at the-look, belief is where you find it. Specialization. That's safe, see. Low risk, guaranteed returns. There's even a God of Lettuce somewhere. I mean, it's not as though any one else is likely to try to become a God of Lettuce. You just find a lettuce-growing community and hang on. Thunder gods come and go, but it's you they turn to every time when there's a bad attack of Lettuce Fly. You've got to . . . uh . . . hand it to Petulia. She spotted a gap in the market and filled it."
"There's a God of Lettuce?"
"Why not? If enough people believe, you can be god of anything . . ."

Terry Pratchett: Small Gods

12"razormix 03-20-2008 02:36 PM

i'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.

terry pratchett

zero 03-20-2008 02:57 PM

you are the most powerful magnet in the universe! you contain a magnetic power within you that is more powerful than anything in this world! it is the unfathomable magnetic power that is emitted through your thoughts!

- rhonda byrne

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-20-2008 03:16 PM

Words can have no single fixed meaning. Like wayward electrons, they can spin away from their initial orbit and enter a wider magnetic field. No one owns them or has a proprietary right to dictate how they will be used.

David Lehman

12"razormix 03-20-2008 03:34 PM

one must be drenched in words, literally soaked in them, to have the right ones form themselves into the proper pattern at the right moment.

hart crane

zero 03-20-2008 05:02 PM

on may 26, 1828 a mysterious teenage boy - a foundling, appeared in the streets of nuremberg, germany. he was wearing peasant clothing and could barely talk. a shoemaker took the boy to the house of captain von wessenig, where he would only repeat, "i want to be a cavalryman, as my father was," and "horse! horse!" further demands elicited only tears, or the obstinate proclamation of "don't know." he answered few questions, and his vocabulary appeared to be quite limited.

- werner herzog, the enigma of kaspar hauser

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-24-2008 10:57 AM

A politician ought to be born a foundling and remain a bachelor.

Claudia Lady Bird Johnson

12"razormix 03-24-2008 11:37 AM

a man should be upright, not be kept upright.

marcus aurelius

zero 03-24-2008 12:10 PM

[bill foster exits his car in the middle of the highway]
guy on freeway: hey, where do you think you're going?
bill foster: i'm going home!

12"razormix 03-24-2008 02:55 PM

i'm home home
home home home
and i'm home home
home home home
but i'm miles and miles and miles and miles and miles away

sm

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-24-2008 02:59 PM

Many people think that the homeless live on the whim of the moment. One minute they are there, in a doorway – as they have been for months – the next, they’re gone. In fact, these movements are decisions. Moving on is a kind of obedience – just like leaving home in the first place.

William Brodrick: the gardens of the dead

zero 03-24-2008 03:47 PM

peter: i live with boys. the lost boys. they are well named.

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-24-2008 03:57 PM

There were people who loved all sorts of extraordinary things and lived for their passions. Haydn was a perfectly respectable passion, as were trains, she supposed. W. H. Auden, or WHA as she called him, had appreciated steam engines, and had confessed that when he was a boy he had loved a steam engine which he thought “every bit as beautiful” as a person to whom his poem was addressed. You are my steam engine, one might say, in much the same way as the French addressed their lovers as mon petit chou, my little cabbage. How strange was human passion in its expression.

Alexander McCall Smith: Friends, Lovers, Chocolate

zero 03-24-2008 04:38 PM

a nickname is the hardest stone that the devil can throw at a man.

- william hazlitt

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-24-2008 05:03 PM

It’s easier to change your eyeballs than to change your nickname.

David Mitchell: Black Swan Green

Hyakujo's Fox 03-24-2008 07:23 PM

Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.

~ God (attrib.)

Anna 03-24-2008 07:51 PM

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
-Mahatma Gandhi, (attributed)

Hyakujo's Fox 03-24-2008 08:05 PM

A sailor meets a pirate in a bar, and they take turns recounting their adventures at sea. Noting the pirate's peg-leg, hook, and eye patch The sailor asks "So, how did you end up with the peg-leg?"

The pirate replies "We was caught in a monster storm off the cape and a giant wave swept me overboard. Just as they were pullin' me out, a school of sharks appeared and one of 'em bit me leg off".

"Blimey!" said the sailor. "What about the hook"?

"Ahhhh...", mused the pirate, "We were boardin' a trader ship, pistols blastin' and swords swingin' this way and that. In the fracas me hand got chopped off."

"Zounds!" remarked the sailor. "And how came ye by the eye patch"?

"A seagull droppin' fell into me eye", answered the pirate.

"You lost your eye to a seagull dropping?" the sailor asked incredulously.

"Well..." said the pirate, "..it was me first day with the hook."

~ Traditional

zero 03-25-2008 04:50 PM

johnson: do the punchline.

reg: what punchline?

johnson: the punchline for this bit.

reg: i don't know it. they didn't say anything about a punchline.

Anna 03-26-2008 12:05 PM

The Devil: Your soul is like your appendix.You never use it.

Elliot Richards: Oh yeah? If it's so useless, how come you want it so bad?

The Devil: Oh, aren't you a clever one?

Marcus Bales 03-26-2008 08:48 PM

Faust: How comes it then that thou art now out of hell with me?

Mefistofeles: Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it. Thinks thou that I, who saw the face of God and tasted the eternal joys of heaven, am not tormented with ten thousand hells in being deprived of everlasting bliss?

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-27-2008 09:03 AM

Rincewind had been told that death was just like going into another room. The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers.

Terry Pratchett: Eric

Marcus Bales 03-27-2008 04:44 PM

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-27-2008 06:58 PM

My great-grandmother was your great-great-grandfather's mistress, so how about it?

Camilla Parker Bowles

Anna 03-27-2008 08:24 PM

If thou didst ever thy dear father love, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder. Tis given out that, sleeping in my orchard, a serpent stung me. So the whole ear of Denmark is by a forged process of my death rankly abused. But know, thou noble youth, the serpent that did sting thy father's life now wears his crown. Thy uncle, ay, that incestuous, that adulterous beast, with witchcraft of his wit, with traitorous gifts- O wicked wit and gifts, that have the power so to seduce!- won to his shameful lust the will of my most seeming virtuous queen.

Marcus Bales 03-27-2008 11:01 PM

Was ever woman in this humour woo'd?
Was ever woman in this humour won?
I'll have her; but I will not keep her long.
What! I, that kill'd her husband and his father,
To take her in her heart's extremest hate,
With curses in her mouth, tears in her eyes,
The bleeding witness of her hatred by;
Having God, her conscience, and these bars against me,
And I nothing to back my suit at all,
But the plain devil and dissembling looks,
And yet to win her, all the world to nothing!
Ha!

-- Shakespeare, Richard III I.ii

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-28-2008 07:21 AM

My only love sprung from my only hate!
Too early seen unknown, and known too late!
Prodigious birth of love it is to me
That I must love a loathed enemy.

Shakesapeare: Romeo and Juliet

Marcus Bales 03-28-2008 12:33 PM

Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.

Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar

zero 03-29-2008 01:18 PM

cowboy: well, just stop for a little second and think about it. will ya do that for me?

adam kesher: [sarcastic tone] okay, i'm thinking.

cowboy: no, you're not thinkin'. you're too busy being a smart aleck to be thinkin'. now i want ya to think and stop bein' a smart aleck. can ya try that for me?

YsaPur EsChomuw 03-29-2008 02:43 PM

But we have doubt,” said Isabel. “Thinking is doubting. It amounts to the same thing.

Alexander McCall Smith: Friends, Lovers, Chocolate

Marcus Bales 03-29-2008 04:09 PM

Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words. Dorothy Parker

zero 03-30-2008 02:26 PM

wit. the salt with which the american humorist spoils his intellectual cookery by leaving it out.

- ambrose bierce

12"razormix 03-30-2008 02:40 PM

a person unlearns arrogance when he knows he is always among worthy human beings; being alone fosters presumption.

friedrich nietzsche