ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   frieda's freeform funkaliscious forum (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   PHILOSOPHY and other bs to ponder (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=16701)

Frieda 07-30-2008 01:20 PM

PHILOSOPHY and other bs to ponder

this is the thread in which we ponder everything in the universe-- from the biggest BS subjects to the meaning of life as we know it
  • stick to the subject please
  • try and ventilate something using proper expressions of an opinion like "i think", or "i believe"
  • explain your opinion
  • don't go ad hominem

Frieda 07-30-2008 01:21 PM

i will start-- just with something weird that i came up with at work because it was so fwking boring today

do you think that ever since this planet was created, in an intelligent or semi-intelligent society, it was popular belief that people and animals are filled with hair? especially our heads, since the hair must come from somewhere??

YsaPur EsChomuw 07-30-2008 02:17 PM

i think, in an intelligent or semi-intelligent society, where people were busy killing or eating each other, they pretty soon found out what people are really made of.

MoJoRiSin 07-30-2008 02:27 PM

Frieda 07-30-2008 02:37 PM

follow the rules mojo, or i'll have to replace your posts with david hasselhoff.

Frieda 07-30-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YsaPur EsChomuw (Post 394903)
i think, in an intelligent or semi-intelligent society, where people were busy killing or eating each other, they pretty soon found out what people are really made of.

do you think it's possible that they saw brain matter that appeared when they killed each other as a rolled up ball of hair? like yarn? :confused:

YsaPur EsChomuw 07-30-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 394909)
do you that they saw brain matter that appeared when they killed each other as a rolled up ball of hair? like yarn? :confused:

i think it's possible, if it was very dark. But not for long. Brain is not fuzzy, and to get to it, they first had to overcome an obstacle - the skull - which is not hairy at all.

lukkucairi 07-30-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 394909)
do you think it's possible that they saw brain matter that appeared when they killed each other as a rolled up ball of hair? like yarn? :confused:

i believe that i read somewhere once that they thought the brain was for storing phlegm...

no idea where hair comes from :)

maybe the hair fairy?

YsaPur EsChomuw 07-30-2008 04:22 PM

i think it is possible that in some intelligent or semi-intelligent society, it could have been a popular belief that if you eat a lot of parsley the hair(y) fairy will make you hairy.

Frieda 07-30-2008 05:28 PM

does the hair fairy make bald men rich if they leave their carpet under the pillow?
well maybe it's best to save that one's pondering for another day.

so, those people in an intelligent or semi-intelligent society, where would they have thought that hair comes from?

YsaPur EsChomuw 07-30-2008 05:37 PM

i think they might have believed hair comes from gaining wisdom. When a baby is born it doesn't have much hair, but gradually there's more of it. (Similarly with the theeth cf. wisdom tooth). Then again, when they get very old, they lose their hair/teeth/wits.

lukkucairi 07-30-2008 06:11 PM

I would disagree, because bald men are often wise - cf. Jean Luc Picard?

Frieds, could we add a rule to include statements of "I hypothesize" as well as "I think" and "I believe"?

I hypothesize that in some ancient semi-intelligent society, they thought that hair came from seeds sown in the scalp while the baby is in the womb.

the Romans thought that blackheads were little worms, I think, so hair-seeds? not so far fetched? and when you go bald, your ground is exhausted?

Frieda 07-30-2008 06:33 PM

sure lukku, the word "like" implies that other expressions of opinion are welcome too :)

i think picard was bald but riker had a beard in his later years and he was pretty smart too.

hair seeds, i think that's an interesting concept. i wonder what a woman had to eat in order to get a hairy baby? maybe it was indeed a status symbol, if having hair was a sign of gaining wisdom? maybe women munched on kiwis?

Stephi_B 07-31-2008 07:15 AM

I think it possible as (semi)intelligent societies have already come up with far stranger theories
(cp. Bible/Qur'an/etc, most theoretical physics books/articles....) of how and from what stuff -- including lifeforms -- is made.

:)

brightpearl 07-31-2008 08:44 AM

Hair is often associated with potency, sexuality...
ie Samson and Delilah story, and so many cultures where hair is either never cut, or must be covered up in modesty, or where head shaving is used as a mark of shame for prisoners etc.

I'm not sure what that says about its actual origins, but it seems related...Maybe gives a boost to that seed idea?