ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   Et Cetera (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   quotation debate, part II (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=13246)

Tunesmith 11-27-2007 11:12 PM

quotation debate, part II

Hfox's last quote:

Memory, so complete and clear or so evasive, has to be ended, has to be put aside, as if one were leaving a chapel and bringing the prayer to an end in one's head.

~ Harold Brodkey

Tunesmith 11-27-2007 11:15 PM

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.
~Emily Dickinson

brightpearl 11-29-2007 09:01 AM

^finally, something by Emily Dickinson that can't be sung to the tune of the Yellow Rose of Texas.
---------------------------------------------------------

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

~Hunter S. Thompson

β cyg 11-29-2007 01:36 PM

every truth has two sides; it is as well to look at both before we commit ourselves to either.

aesop

12"razormix 11-29-2007 03:23 PM

for the perfect idler, for the passionate observer it becomes an immense source of enjoyment to establish his dwelling in the throng, in the ebb and flow, the bustle, the fleeting and the infinite. to be away from home and yet to feel at home anywhere; to see the world, to be at the very center of the world, and yet to be unseen of the world, such are some of the minor pleasures of those independent, intense and impartial spirits, who do not lend themselves easily to linguistic definitions. the observer is a prince enjoying his incognito wherever he goes.

charles baudelaire

zero 11-29-2007 03:51 PM

what's wrong with society? what's wrong is that people give up searching and sit back and blend in with the crowd. but that's not who i want to be. blending in is not my thing.

kamanda ndama

T.I.P. 11-29-2007 04:19 PM

Will it blend ?

blendtec guy

zero 11-29-2007 05:31 PM

i'm afraid that everything will get homogenized and be the same.

- david byrne

Hyakujo's Fox 11-29-2007 06:47 PM

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as
it
ever
was

~ david byrne

T.I.P. 11-29-2007 09:07 PM

Burn hollywood burn

~Public Enemy

brightpearl 11-29-2007 09:35 PM

you say you don't wike it
I say you'we a wiar
but when we kiiiiiiiiiiiisss
it's wike fi-wuh.

Robin Williams as Elmer Fudd as Bruce Springsteen.

zero 12-02-2007 01:41 PM

my wife has a slight impediment in her speech... every now and then she stops to breathe.

- jimmy durante

12"razormix 12-05-2007 03:39 PM

i love you more than i have ever found a way to say to you.

ben folds

zero 12-05-2007 04:08 PM

ohhw LESLEY!!...thanks very much ... [regains composure] ... um..yeh well i've got this thing about my name, y'know, because it just sounds like a sort of sausage advert.

- billy mackenzie

12"razormix 12-05-2007 04:16 PM

HANK: Don't you wish we could still say words like "meat" and "tool" and "unit" without someone turning it into something foul? Well, those are our words. I say we take 'em back.

zero 12-05-2007 04:32 PM

BOBBY: I refuse to eat the white man's white meat!

Hyakujo's Fox 12-13-2007 10:48 AM

Boredom is the root of all evil - the despairing refusal to be oneself.

~ Soren Kierkegaard

brightpearl 12-13-2007 11:12 AM

We are all primary numbers divisible only by ourselves. ~Jean Guitton

zero 12-18-2007 04:08 PM

wax statue of mine shall one day be seen at madam tussaud's

- omkar

Hyakujo's Fox 12-18-2007 06:02 PM

Fame like a wayward girl, will still be coy - To those who woo her with too slavish knees.

~ John Keats

12"razormix 12-20-2007 06:12 AM

he shows great originality, which must be curbed at all cost.

peter ustinov

zero 12-20-2007 08:28 AM

them of those, i am who are phrasing sentences.

- charles michael de feo

brightpearl 12-20-2007 09:45 AM

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together

-John Lennon

zero 12-22-2007 03:48 AM

Gildersleeve: He-he-he-he-he. Kind of outsmarted you. Eh, little chum?
Bugs Bunny: Hey, wait. Wait a minute. Say that again.

12"razormix 02-03-2008 10:48 AM

we would rather speak ill of ourselves than not talk about ourselves at all.

françois duc de la rochefoucauld

zero 02-03-2008 12:21 PM

thy sea, o god, so great,
my boat so small!
it cannot be that any happy fate,
will me befall!

- anon

12"razormix 02-03-2008 05:23 PM

pure love produces pure nonsense.

jonathan klinger

Hyakujo's Fox 02-03-2008 07:20 PM

I'm section eight, Head to toe. I'm wearing a Warner bra. I like to play with dolls. My last wish is to be buried in my mother's wedding gown. I'm nuts.

~ Corporal Klinger

brightpearl 02-03-2008 07:26 PM

The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.
~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Hyakujo's Fox 02-04-2008 08:12 PM

Sometimes a person we love, through no fault of his own, can't see past the end of his nose.

~ Mary Poppins*

* but what the fark would she know? ;)

Hyakujo's Fox 02-07-2008 07:32 AM

Sometimes I'm so sweet even I can't stand it.

~ Julie Andrews

trisherina 02-10-2008 01:36 AM

align yourself
resign yourself
if you don't know who you are you can remind yourself

-- Bottle Rockets

12"razormix 02-10-2008 03:08 PM

well, i know who you are
and what league you played in

bob dylan

zero 02-10-2008 03:41 PM

it wasn't him, charley, it was you. remember that night in the garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, "kid, this ain't your night. we're going for the price on wilson." you remember that? "this ain't your night"! my night! i coulda taken wilson apart! so what happens? he gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do i get? a one-way ticket to palookaville! you was my brother, charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. you shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so i wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money ... you don't understand, i coulda had class. i coulda been a contender. i coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what i am, let's face it. it was you, charley.

marlon brando - on the waterfront

YsaPur EsChomuw 02-28-2008 08:02 AM

... Games and sports aren’t about taking part or even about winning. Games and sports’re really about humiliating your enemies...

... About a third of the Runners got captured and turned into Bulldogs for the next pass. I hate that about British Bulldogs. It forces you to be a traitor...

... I just lay there and let them convert me into a Bulldog. In my heart I’d always be a Runner...

David Mitchell: Black Swan Green

Veruki 02-28-2008 02:06 PM

Who are you really? And what were you before? And what did you do? And what did you think?
~Rick Blaine-Casablanca

YsaPur EsChomuw 02-29-2008 04:19 AM

The weekend stretched ahead of him, one football game the extent of his plans. His living room was wreathed in shadows and cigarette smoke. He kept thinking of selling the flat, finding somewhere with fewer ghosts. Then again, they were the only company he had: dead colleagues, victims, expired relationships. He reached again for the bottle, but it was empty. Stood up and watched the floor sway beneath him. He thought he had a fresh bottle in the carrier bag beneath the window, but the bag was empty and crumpled. He looked out of his window, catching his reflection and its puzzled frown. Had he left a bottle in the car? Had he brought home two bottles or just one? He thought of a dozen places where he could get a drink. The city – his city – was out there waiting for him, waiting to show its dark, shrivelled heart.

Ian Rankin: Set in Darkness

Hyakujo's Fox 02-29-2008 09:30 AM

A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it!

~ Charles Dickens

Marcus Bales 02-29-2008 11:12 AM

Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. The detective must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor. He talks as the man of his age talks, that is, with rude wit, a lively sense of the grotesque, a disgust for sham, and a contempt for pettiness.
--Raymond Chandler

YsaPur EsChomuw 02-29-2008 11:26 AM

And there would be the part she most enjoyed, the team get-together at the end of the day when AD, herself and Benton-Smith would ponder over the evidence, picking up, discarding or clicking the clues into place as they might the pieces of a jigsaw. But she knew the root of the small sprig of shame. Although they had never spoken of it she suspected that AD felt the same. With this jigsaw the pieces were the broken lives of men and women.

P.D. James: The Lighthouse