ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Private Thoughts in public places (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=3026)

BusyRich 10-16-2003 01:52 PM

Private Thoughts in public places

I just thought it'd be nice for people to share some of the little things that go on inside our heads that if it wasn't for a thread like this, they'd just stay there forever.

Example...

I sometimes like to balance an open can of beer (or cider) on the arm of the sofa in a slightly tilted manner, then sit and watch the TV, all the time aware of the can in the corner of my eye. Thereís very little chance of it falling off anymore, not now. After years of practise I know just how far I can tilt the can safely, but itís still nice to think that it might fall off somehow.

dalang 10-16-2003 06:42 PM

oo yeah. I look better when I dance with the dish towel in the kitchen.

My dancin' partner is named Terry. Terry Cloth.

He's a little wet, but always lets me lead. And if I whip up him just right, he'll snap at the first thing that gets in our way... very protective.

I like that in a towel.

lapietra 10-17-2003 12:42 AM

If I eat this piece of chocolate *before* breakfast, it doesn't count...

BusyRich 10-17-2003 12:20 PM

I find empty car parks strangely nostalgic. It goes back to my first attempt at driving a friend's car about five years ago. I got the hang of going forward quite easily, but I wasnít too sure about what to do with my feet to make the car stop so I went round in circles (in first gear) for a while, then just took my foot off of the accelerator and drifted to a stop quite close to a concrete wall.

It was great.

dalang 10-17-2003 01:31 PM

I love seeing "Post No Bills"

Reminds me of the childhood days when I didn't know that a "bill" was a paper sign announcing an event. But I knew "post" was a synonym for "mail".

So whenever I saw "Post No Bills", I thought it was a call to action for companies not to send the electric bill, the credit card bill, the water bill... which made sense to me.

Bills are stressful.
Bills take money.
Bills cause fights between loved ones.

Down with Bills! Post No Bills!

"Post No Bills" to me meant "Let's Have a Peaceful Barter System"

It's still a worthy cause. I just wish it was still a revolutionary sign for me.

rapscalious rob 10-21-2003 10:00 PM

In two short weeks I am going to lose my mind.

Klynne 10-22-2003 08:17 PM

I think most people have an inner voice speaking to them. As I get older, I try to pay attention to mine. It often warns of disasters, or small little accidents. Fortunately, most of my incidents have been small things. For example:

Little inner voice speaking: "You had better be careful, or you are going to drop that (fall down, trip, hurt yourself, etc.)"

My supposedly alert mind: "Don't listen, that is a load of crap."

Cut to the scene: Woman drops what she is carrying, falls down, trips, or hurts herself, etc.

Lesson: Always pay attention to your inner voice.

zenbabe 10-22-2003 08:49 PM

when I am a riding in a car with someone, I like to silently count the lines in the middle of the road and see if i can keep up....

SuperCaliFragil 10-22-2003 09:52 PM

I have this odd habit of reading license plates while driving, the regular non-personalized type, to see if there is a hidden message...usually manifesting as a phonetic thing like: 2BL0812, or something stupid like that (actually that would be a realllly good one...most are dumber). Sometimes they crack me up...mostly I just wonder why I'm not paying more attention to the road. There are far more interesting things to look at of course, like the scenery.

Now I'm wondering if my new facination with this message board is a related syndrome. Searching for meaning in randomness?

malina 10-23-2003 11:38 PM

whenever i walk down a flight of stairs i see myself stumbling and falling in my mind. i have these visions of hitting my chin on the stairs, losing teeth, bleeding. sometimes this sudden image makes me jump because i forget that i had it before. then i feel stupid. i should know myself. sometimes i forget that i'm crazy and i'm fooled into considering myself 'normal'. i feel pretty competent when i arrive safely at the bottom of the stairs without making an ass of myself and without having split my head open.

rapscalious rob 10-24-2003 12:44 AM

Klynne: Dude, I totally know what you mean. I have that same inner voice. I, too, unwisely ignore it more than I should.

When Iíve been driving for a while, I start making up music or songs in my head. Sometimes I come up with stuff that really sucks. Other times, the music is pretty nice- but I forget it within a day or so, usually, and I canít write it down anyway, because I forgot how to read or write music. And even if I could, sometimes the particular music in my head demands certain timbres, unknown instruments and subtle aspects of timing that I wouldnít know how to capture. I have to be careful not to get too into it, or I will miss a turn or make a wrong turn. This only happens in the car without the radio/cd player.

dalang 10-29-2003 03:08 PM

I secretly want all my dog's toys.

Me covet slobbery tennis ball.

Coffee 10-29-2003 03:52 PM

When I was a child (that line sung to famous P. Floyd tune)...I used to hear full symphony orchestras in my head as I was falling asleep. Trouble was...I hated classical music back then.
Now that I love Classical music...all I hear in my head as I fall asleep is whatever dumb pop song has stuck in there from exposure to it during the day.

Rats.

Coffee 10-30-2003 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Coffee
When I was a child (that line sung to famous P. Floyd tune)
Speaking of that...
When I was a child I (actually) had a fever.
My hands (actually) felt just like two balloons.

It was really wierd, everything I touched seemed to shrink.My hands felt like they were expanding. The other side of rooms looked like they were miles away, on the horizon so to speak. Freekin wierd, but neat too. If I wasn't so disoriented at the time it would have been really cool.

So that song has always been kind of special to me.

"There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're sayin'.
When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I can't explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb"

dalang 11-02-2003 02:40 PM

Why are dryer sheets highly flammable?

drshok 11-03-2003 05:32 PM

Am i someone else?

I sometimes think "it's pure chance that I was born in the west and have all this Stuff". I could have been born in Africa or China".
Then I think, "perhaps I was born somewhere else. Perhaps I am someone else and someone else is me."
Do you get what I mean?

Klynne 11-03-2003 09:01 PM

Is time travel possible? Einstein believed in it.

jaymirror 11-04-2003 06:27 AM

Some times I look at people and don't listen to them while they are talking. Instead I think that I would like to frech-kiss them. Not because I'm in love, just for pure curiosity.

Hyakujo's Fox 11-04-2003 01:22 PM

Iīm having trouble deciding whether I like hotel towels that smell of bread or whether Iīd prefer the plain ones.

dalang 11-04-2003 02:20 PM

Re: Am i someone else?

Quote:

Originally posted by drshok
I sometimes think "it's pure chance that I was born in the west and have all this Stuff". I could have been born in Africa or China".
Then I think, "perhaps I was born somewhere else. Perhaps I am someone else and someone else is me."
Do you get what I mean?

My constant thought while living in China.

"There but for the Grace of Is goes I"

edit: found it.. flowery language was used to handle the pain of duplicity of justice in the world.

"we are children of a dream. the collective dream of humanity.

yet, being born of this dream, living it, walking among it- the dream becomes more than a dream, more than reality.
it becomes nothing.

noseeums nibbling us into a mellifluous sleep.

if you think that's bad, wait until you hear this- those living outside the dream want nothing more than to live inside it. to be exactly where you are- being eaten away in honeyed ecstacy.

Only, they will know it's a dream."

rapscalious rob 11-16-2003 06:49 AM

Re: Re: Am i someone else?

Quote:

Originally posted by dalang
"we are children of a dream. the collective dream of humanity.

yet, being born of this dream, living it, walking among it- the dream becomes more than a dream, more than reality.
it becomes nothing.

noseeums nibbling us into a mellifluous sleep.

if you think that's bad, wait until you hear this- those living outside the dream want nothing more than to live inside it. to be exactly where you are- being eaten away in honeyed ecstacy.

Only, they will know it's a dream."
That was deep. In fact, I think Iíve fallen in and gotten lost.

rapscalious rob 11-16-2003 07:05 AM

p.s.: thanks for the new word, mellifluous. muy cool. i will try to use it and abuse it until I have become its master.

dalang 11-17-2003 04:27 PM

*bloop*

(the sound of one man falling.)

jaymirror 11-17-2003 07:08 PM

Sometimes in the least appropriate situations i start thinking what this board would comment about it. Then i get confused because i don't know how would be the first to answer and i have to figure out all the possible combinations.

Pebbles 11-18-2003 02:57 AM

sometimes it feels like im the only one thats really here... like my mind makes everyone up. its kind of a matrix style thing... like, when i go to a place, everyone is just thought up to be there.

or i have this really bad habit of just sitting there, drifting off in my own head of what it would be like to be with someone else. i've been in the same relationship for close to 2 years now, and its like.. "hmm... i wonder how my life would be if i broke up with him and went out with this guy" sometimes i can make up a whole future of me and someone in my head, from the first date, to the day that we break up... pity, i can never see me getting married to anyone. the thought just freaks me out lately... lately meaning this past year.

Pebbles 11-18-2003 02:59 AM

wait... have any of you been in trance of thought... then forgot what you were thinking, so you go through all the things you can remember to get back to that thought... only to find that your mind has just pulled a Windows error on you?

zenbabe 11-18-2003 03:39 AM

I know who you are.

Pebbles 11-18-2003 03:49 AM

huh?

Coffee 11-18-2003 04:16 PM

I dream about all of you when I am awake.
I dream about me when I'm asleep.

Klynne 11-18-2003 09:45 PM

Sometimes I think about death and I freak out. What is more scary, everlasting life, or nothingness? I don't know. Have to push it out of my mind.

jaymirror 11-19-2003 08:46 AM

This is a private thought about this public board and i usually would not tell it because i know it will make me sick, but i just can't resist anymore so here it is:
i really really from the deep of my heart love you all because this board is so smart and inspiring and funny at the same time. I especially love ze because he makes this possible.

nycwriters 11-19-2003 06:13 PM

I love to people watch. Sometimes I'll invent entire lives for random strangers; complete with plot, dialogue and adventure.

jaymirror 11-19-2003 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nycwriters
I love to people watch. Sometimes I'll invent entire lives for random strangers; complete with plot, dialogue and adventure.
If you ever do it with me let me hear it. :)

dalang 11-19-2003 07:39 PM

ugh. would you look at that picture?

it gives me the same feeling as drinking coffee for too long in the morning- leaves me feeling my mouth stale, bitter. dead. craving for a clean little brush and some minty paste.

it's still snowing.

ooh. here's an interesting assignment: describe the taste of wet.

okay... bubble of liquid residing upon the tongue, not too sweet, with residual taste of fall leaves still on the trees... making it impossible to open one's eyes for fear that the flakes whispering past the eyelashes will create snow-made tears.

time to make a fire.

nycwriters 11-20-2003 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jaymirror
If you ever do it with me let me hear it. :)
Sweets, I'm sure your life is colorful enough! :)

zenbabe 11-20-2003 01:59 AM

I can't resist popping zits when they spring up, even though I know I am not supposed to.....It is all about the seek and destroy mission...

Pebbles 11-20-2003 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nycwriters
i do that at the coffee house. its fun because its usually an artist writing, a couple talking, friends getting together for their weekly ritual, and its fun to just watch them interact, and then think... what would happen in their life in the future.... mm... i think im gunna go there tomorrow. chai is soooooo good. hehe.

carolyn81 11-20-2003 11:38 AM

I have an invention in mind that is surgically implanted in the stomach. Whenever you reach your daily limit of food, any remaining food is processed into a generic "food block" and transported (a la Star Trek) to a country where everyone is starving.

drshok 11-21-2003 05:50 AM

Who are all these people?

On a train at night, looking out of the window, I see the lights on in peoples houses, I see the lights of cars.I think to myself "who are all these people? what are their lives like. If only I could look in.

dalang 11-21-2003 05:00 PM

standing on the night beach, back to the water. new moon provided no light.

dots of homes glowing at the base of the dark moutains rising to meet the stars

and a little snake of light, widing over the now invisible contors of the land- a commuter train taking the worked and weary to their own dots.

"who are all those people?"

;)