ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

zero 10-19-2007 04:14 PM

secondarse

craig johnston 10-19-2007 05:53 PM

i forgot bbc, guardian and you tube of course
101greatgoals.com is good for footy

zero 10-19-2007 06:03 PM

neopeas

craig johnston 10-19-2007 06:05 PM

is that an anagarm?

;)

madasacutsnake 10-20-2007 05:26 AM

New question.

Have you ever hurt some-one then tried to forget about it?

Odbe 10-20-2007 06:23 AM

I think so, but the forgetting worked too well :o

craig johnston 10-20-2007 06:45 AM

if anyone answers no, they are dishonest.

T.I.P. 10-20-2007 07:10 AM

I have indeed hurt someone in the past. I doubt there is a single person who hasn't.

i'm more inclined to spend effort on forgiving myself and trying to understand why I did this or that instead of trying to forget. Some things you just can't forget, and the more you try not to think about them, the more you end up thinking about them.

Fundamentally, who "I" am is constantly changing. The person that I was when I harmed someone else is not the person that I am now. I know I am capable of forgiving other people - why not forgive myself ? This does not preclude taking responsibility for my acts - it just means gaining more understanding about why I acted that way, and then moving on, trying not to repeat the same mistakes.

12"razormix 10-20-2007 09:54 AM

no.

zero 10-20-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunty asmadasa
Have you ever hurt some-one then tried to forget about it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnston
if anyone answers no, they are dishonest.

stand clear everyone this question of the day ? is booby-trapped

12"razormix 10-20-2007 10:25 AM

what's that on your shirt?

zero 10-20-2007 10:39 AM

xomriz don't act daft - you know full well that i'm stripped to the waist as i normally am when i'm interacting with you

12"razormix 10-20-2007 10:43 AM

thank you for not posting pictures!

zero 10-20-2007 10:49 AM

you just said that to hurt me and then you'll forget it!!

12"razormix 10-20-2007 10:51 AM

TRY to forget it.

zero 10-20-2007 11:03 AM

true. the TRY bit's crucial in this question of the day ?

johnston didnie take note of that

Frieda 10-20-2007 11:41 AM

i've only tried to forget the times i got hurt.. especially the embarrassing moments..

but oh i've hurt plenty. forgiven, never forgotten :)

lukkucairi 10-20-2007 01:03 PM

hm - not very good at forgetting.

but yes. also possible that I hurt someone just being a jackass and didn't notice at the time.

Tunesmith 10-20-2007 11:45 PM

Yes, but I tend to hyperfocus on the couple of times when I've really hurt someone, so it's almost impossible to forget.

If anyone uses the words "Brandon Tansey" or "yellow kickball" or "playground woodchips", my mind zooms back to the time in 2nd grade where I got into a fight with my best friend and ended up punching him. :o

Hyakujo's Fox 10-21-2007 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.I.P. (Post 365593)
I have indeed hurt someone in the past. I doubt there is a single person who hasn't.

i'm more inclined to spend effort on forgiving myself and trying to understand why I did this or that instead of trying to forget. Some things you just can't forget, and the more you try not to think about them, the more you end up thinking about them.

Fundamentally, who "I" am is constantly changing. The person that I was when I harmed someone else is not the person that I am now. I know I am capable of forgiving other people - why not forgive myself ? This does not preclude taking responsibility for my acts - it just means gaining more understanding about why I acted that way, and then moving on, trying not to repeat the same mistakes.

then there's those reasonless childhood things (if there were reasons then, they are lost now) standing in the memory like great defiant stones from ancient times, ever pointing to something beyond any rationalisation.

Stephi_B 10-21-2007 08:10 AM

Yep, but point 2 (forgetting it) does work out only until I get in one of that sentimental moods (2++ L of beer or it's equivalent in some other alcoholica or that bloody early darkness in autumn/winter), then stuff pops up again.

brightpearl 10-21-2007 12:36 PM

question for Sunday, Oct. 21:

Are you aware of your sense of smell in your dreams?

trisherina 10-21-2007 12:42 PM

Sure. Sense of smell is very important to me while awake, so it makes sense that it would appear in all my dream-memories.

auntie aubrey 10-21-2007 12:44 PM

rarely, if ever. i'm trying to think if i've had awareness of smell in a dream but i can't think of a specific instance.

smell is more of an awakening sensation. if i actually smell something it will wake me up from a dead sleep. it doesn't really work its way into my subconscious. that i'm aware of.

T.I.P. 10-21-2007 12:52 PM

Smells are also important to me in real life, and i think i can smell things in my dreams, though i've never really paid attention to that sense in my dreams. I will try tonight.

(OT digression:

A new addition to my dream sensations was feeling of INTENSE pain in my left hand in a dream i had last week. really wierd. I don't think i've ever felt pain like that in a dream. When i woke up my hand felt fine :confused: )

brightpearl 10-21-2007 01:07 PM

^I had my fingers shut in a door last week.

That TIP voodoo doll is coming in really handy. :D

I don't have a very good sense of smell at all in my waking hours; I grew up in an area with really bad air pollution, so maybe the inside of my nose is dead. :eek: Oddly, though, I sometimes have olfactory hallucinations before I get migraines, and my sense of smell often plays a big part in my dreams. I was telling someone a dream of mine recently, and she was surprised I ever smelled things, so I've been wondering which is more common.

T.I.P. 10-21-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightpearl (Post 365705)
^I had my fingers shut in a door last week.

That TIP voodoo doll is coming in really handy. :D

:eek:

and i take it you're the one whose been calling my wierdo neighbor at 5AM ?

lukkucairi 10-21-2007 01:26 PM

yes, I remember smelling things in dreams.

I have also been woken up from dreams by smells that were so strong they intruded into my sleep.

note: lentils before bed is not a good idea :)

brightpearl 10-21-2007 01:31 PM

^LOL :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.I.P. (Post 365707)
and i take it you're the one whose been calling my wierdo neighbor at 5AM ?

After consultation with my legal team, I have elected to exercise my right against self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.

Frieda 10-21-2007 03:51 PM

i'm not sure if i smell things in my dreams..

Avalon 10-21-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 365721)
i'm not sure if i smell things in my dreams..

Yes

My dad died many years ago; in my dream, I am aware that he is gone...I identified him (in my dream) by burying my face in his shirt and breathing in deeply. It was my dad...his scent was immediately identifiable. It made me infinitely happy.

auntie aubrey 10-21-2007 06:35 PM

^ okay yes, i have had one of those. just one.

brightpearl 10-21-2007 06:37 PM

^^Yeah, me too...I dreamed about helping my friend's wife go through his things after he'd died, and I could smell him on his shirts as I packed them away. It's interesting that that comes up frequently for people...

Tunesmith 10-22-2007 12:29 AM

No, not that I'm aware of...my dreams are usually these trippy landscapes that seem as if my subconscious has been experimenting w/ LSD.

I had one last night in which I was photographing myself photographing myself photographing myself photographing myself...in some kind of strange loop. :cool:

Stephi_B 10-22-2007 06:31 AM

^Fascinating dream loop thingie :)

No, can't remember ever smelling something in my dreams. Sounds are rather rare, my dreams are mostly visual I'd say and some sort of motion is quite common too.

T.I.P. 10-22-2007 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunesmith (Post 365767)
I had one last night in which I was photographing myself photographing myself photographing myself photographing myself...in some kind of strange loop. :cool:

one day, when you start working in a big shot design firm, you will have dreams of photographing yourself photoshopping your photograph of yourself photographing yourself photoshopping your photograph of yourself photographing...etc..ad infinitum

and won't that be fun ? ;)

Hyakujo's Fox 10-22-2007 08:22 AM

I'm not aware of any awareness.

madasacutsnake 10-22-2007 08:24 AM

I don't recall having any sense of smell in my dreams. However I have been woken from a deep sleep by Eau de That Was Dog.

lukkucairi 10-22-2007 11:40 AM

*question*

do you ever get deja vu?

I get deja vu of having had deja vu of having had deja vu in an infinite regression. does this happen to anyone else?

Stephi_B 10-22-2007 11:49 AM

Yes, and yes also such nested ones. One was after me over several years, though you couldn't ask me now what it was exactly. It was a combination of many things: time of the day, place, voices, succession of a conversation... though I forgot till the next deja-vu of the deja-vu of the deja-vu...

But I don't have them so often today, as kid and teenie I had them a lot.
Maybe deja-vus correlate somehow with the amount of imagination one has? :confused: