ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

Tunesmith 09-23-2007 08:51 PM

uh-huh, moi aussi.

zero 09-24-2007 08:12 AM

can somebody please toast a question of the day ? for today, monday 24th september?

thank you for your kind assistance in this matter

madasacutsnake 09-24-2007 08:39 AM

What food is awful in one form but delicious in another?

Capers are awful in their natural state but burn them in butter....delicious!

T.I.P. 09-24-2007 09:50 AM

endives

raw = yum !

cooked = blech

trisherina 09-24-2007 09:51 AM

Cocaine!

Oh, a food, right.

trisherina 09-24-2007 09:56 AM

How about prime rib? Delicious except when "well done."

auntie aubrey 09-24-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madasacutsnake (Post 363067)

onions.

raw: blech.

caramelized with a bunch of other goodies: yum.

french onion soup: death.

zero 09-24-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madasacutsnake (Post 363067)

zutzeln

aufblatzt

o look! here comes mr ferkin to explain it all!!

12"razormix 09-24-2007 02:18 PM

nutella is delicious at room temperature

quite horrible when deep fried.

12"razormix 09-24-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero (Post 362993)
me and mrs. zormix can roll ours tongues, so we can.

LIARS! thread :D

zero 09-24-2007 03:17 PM

we can too!

and btw:
Quote:

Originally Posted by zero
question for today*:

* no answering or discussing this question after today.

you - of all people to have bollocksed it up acannie believe it's you!

Earthling 09-24-2007 03:18 PM

OK, I win the obvious award;

RED WINE

Room temp minus 7F...a goddess

With ice...oh shoot me !

Anna 09-24-2007 04:42 PM

carrots and melons in context

auntie aubrey 09-24-2007 06:28 PM

i just thought of another one.

tofu. yummy marinaded and fried. ucky plain and cold.

Tunesmith 09-24-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero (Post 363094)

o look! here comes mr ferkin to explain it all!!

this never fails to make me laugh hysterically. :D

brightpearl 09-24-2007 07:56 PM

okra is hideously inedible, excepting fried in cornmeal with salt n peppa

Tunesmith 09-25-2007 12:09 AM

I'd like to propose the next question of the day ?, if that's okay with mister ezra, because there's no way in hell i'll be up at 6 am EST:

When did you learn to drive and why?

trisherina 09-25-2007 12:58 AM

21. Because I had bought a car. (Because I could finally pay for one.)

lukkucairi 09-25-2007 01:05 AM

I learned when I was 17 - or was I 18? - I was in the Bahamas, and you can't get a learner's permit til you're 17 there.

So uh...I've been driving half my life now, roughly. I just realized that. Hm.

Why? Mainly so I could get out of the house on my own at the time. Not a very original motivation, true.

Later on, I was glad to be able to drive my parents around when they got ill. It frustrated me that I was the most capable driver in the family (out of the three of us) and that I wasn't allowed to rent a car to drive Dad to and from the hospital til I was 25.

If I might take the liberty and expand on Mr. Tunesmith's original question - has any of you gotten in crashes?

First one I got in was with a church van. They hit me broadside. It was spectacular. Highly recommended as a first car crash scenario.

Jack Flanders 09-25-2007 02:16 AM

15 1/2 and because I wanted to. My most memorable accident happened while I was on my way to work and this asswipe turned left in front of me as I was going straight through the intersection. My car was totalled - his shitty old pickup truck was missing a few flecks of rust. The local cop talked to me for one minute and the jerk for 15. They knew each other. I took a ride in an ambulance first and only time to have x-rays taken of my neck and knees. No ticket was issued to the jerk and he had the gall to sue me for "causing stress" which prevented him to not be able to satisfy his wife. GAH!!! The judge threw his ass out of court and told me I should have sued him and the cop. I loved that car, dammit - it got 55 miles to the gallon. Shit - it still pisses me off. :mad:

Frieda 09-25-2007 03:26 AM

the first minute i was legally able to-- my 18th birthday

why? because public transportation sucks monkey ass here

i've never been in a crash, thankfully. i did manage to drive off the left mirror of my dad's car when i drove up too close to one of those parking garage ticket dispensers, and another time when i tried to turn (again with my dad's car) there was a fence that i didn't notice. these were all when i just got my license.

since then, all i've sustained is coming back to my car and finding it wrecked by someone else. parking damage sucks.. especially if they don't leave a note! still, i'd rather have parking damage than end up in a car crash.

T.I.P. 09-25-2007 06:04 AM

i also got my permit at age 18 - i lived in the 'burbs back then, so knowing how to drive was a necessary skill.

My funnest driving scare is this one:

I was driving a truck on the Audubon around midnight on a 24th of December 1999 to go to Hamburg with my band. We heard a *clump* noise and then alot of screeching metal and I noticed a huge ball of flames emanating from the rear left of the truck. I basically didn't do anything - just kept the hand on the wheel and let go of the gas - and we slowly glided to a stop at the side of the highway.

Diagnostic: The truck had literally lost a wheel because the lugnuts had not been tightened properly by the slightly sleezy mechanic friend who had sold us the truck ("for fear of not being able to remove them later" - lol).

Later the German highway cops brought us the wheel, with a smile ! They called a tow truck for us, and drove away.

I remember the date because when the tow truck lifted us up (he told us to remain in the truck), we found ourselves at a 45 angle going upwards, with flashing orange lights on each side - it felt like we were in Santa's sleigh, on Christmas eve.

Stephi_B 09-25-2007 06:12 AM

When I was 19. Actually mostly due to peer pressure. Used to live in a city before and had no need (and absolutely no moneda ;)) for a license, then in my last year in school I moved out to the country to my grandparents, of the kids age 18(+) in town only me and the daughter of the dentist had no drivers license (though it was quite cool when her dad fetched us with his Porsche - ay this dentists, way too much money! - from the late afternoon ethics course - no school busses in Bavaria for atheists ;)). In the end my grandparents said: Hey we pay you the fee (something like 3000 Mark :eek: - failed the practical test the first time and the second time I passed it only cos the examiner had a) pity I suppose and b) never wanted to see me again - latter he said to me actually...). Used my grandpa's and dad's cars mostly - and they both survived - am not a good but a fast driver... :o
Have not driven since like 5, 6 years or so, but I'm glad I have one - though I really should take some refreshment course before I feel like/have to driving/drive again.

brightpearl 09-25-2007 07:04 AM

^^TIP always has the best stories! :D

I first got a learner's permit when I was 15, because people do, I guess. :) And also because that way I could drive my grandmother to doctor's appointments..sounds like there's a lot of that going around. Everything is really far apart in Texas, and the public transport is minimal, so unftly if you wanna go, you hafta drive.

Never been in a wreck in which I was driving, though when I lived up north, my life flashed before my eyes several times on icy roads. Thinking back on a couple of those close calls, I still can't believe I never got hit.

ps the one time I ever parallel parked correctly was on my driver's test. :D All other attempts have been hideous failures.

madasacutsnake 09-25-2007 07:14 AM

17 (or sixteen, can't remember). Because I wanted the freedom. Promptly wrote off snakedad's new car after he expressly told me not to take it.

zero 09-25-2007 08:57 AM

from about age 13 i made a bloody nuisance of myself pestering my dad about driving so he finally gave in and taught me on an abandoned airfield and sometimes on unmade dirt tracks in the trossachs when we were supposed to be catching trout for our TEATIME. waiting to be 17 and pass my test felt like forever.

auntie aubrey 09-25-2007 01:02 PM

did driver's ed when i was 15 and snatched up that license like it was a lifeline when i was 16.

why? because everyone gets their license at 16. and also, it would have been terribly uncool not to.

so which crash story? there haven't been many, but they're all fun to tell.

there was the time when a minivan bolted through a 4 way stop and t-boned my little 1985 camry. the driver was a cop so the officer who arrived on the scene yucked it up with her, then handed me the ticket. i took the ticket to court and the judge lambasted the officer for making such a stupid judgement call.

there was the time a woman came barreling out of a parking lot right into the side panel of my corolla, and yet somehow instead of causing actual damage, the panel made a sound like BWOOOMP! BLOOOMP! and popped right back out without a dent or a scratch. she screamed at me in an unidentified language, then called her son, who arrived on the scene to take over the screaming duties. then he asked me if i was trying to get rich off of insurance by waiting for the cops to make a record of the accident. without thinking, i burst out laughing at such a ridiculous idea. i'm lucky i didn't get punched for that.

then there was the time my cousin and i were out in the middle of nowhere, south dakota, and we somehow ended up backing our car into a ditch so that it was perfectly perpendicular to the road, with the front wheels pointing up into the sky. we sat there, in the space shuttle launch position, wondering what to do next. if a kindly livestock veterinarian with a winch on his truck hadn't happened by, i'm not sure what would have happened.

Stephi_B 09-26-2007 06:39 AM

question of the day ? for Wednesday 09/26/07
(likely inspired by my still lingering tiredness ;)):

How do you sleep: on your back, on the left/right side, on your belly, stretched or in embryo position, ... Do you have certain ticks with respect to how you sleep best?

brightpearl 09-26-2007 06:41 AM

I sleep all curled up, must have body pillow. I don't move around much, often wake up in precisely the same position I fell asleep in.

Stephi_B 09-26-2007 06:51 AM

My sleeping position changes constantly, atm its mostly on the back, in summer I had a on the belly phase. Have the tick to need not only the normal pillow but in addition some smaller ones (or my toy camel ;)) to get a proper pile under my head. When there is just one pillow available (hotels, at other folks places) I fold/crush the pillow together to increase the height.

As kid my granny perfumed a small pillow on all four corners with 4711 eau-de-cologne (which I out of some reason totally digged then...) and I kept rotating and sniffing the thing till I fell asleep.

There is definitely some pillow fixation in me ;)

@brightpearl: That happens to me as well often, that I wake up like I fell asleep, usually when I'm totally knackered.

trisherina 09-26-2007 09:19 AM

On side or stomach but hardly ever on back because it brings on episodes of sleep paralysis when I'm sleep-deprived.

zero 09-26-2007 10:00 AM

^
i'd like to be able to say i'm a starfish

in fact i'm a freefaller/foetus/yearner hybrid

Stephi_B 09-26-2007 12:40 PM

^So cool! Last night I was a starfish! :D

T.I.P. 09-26-2007 12:47 PM

^ ha ! that's so funny
  • I usually "foetus" during the night. If I am agitated I go from "foetus" to "freefall" to "log" to "soldier" and back again. If I am especially agitated I do this a lot and it feels like I am drilling a hole.

• When i do 20 minute power naps at home i "Freefall", which usually implies waking up to a small puddle of drool on my pillow.

• When i do power naps under my desk at work, the floor is hard so i usually "Soldier", but I have been getting good results with a nice "Starfish" lately :D.

Frieda 09-26-2007 12:59 PM

i try to avoid the soldier, freefaller and starfish, i get horrid nightmares when i sleep on my back or my stomach.

so both foetus and yearner work for me!

brightpearl 09-26-2007 02:10 PM

I contend that "foetus" should be re-named "fluffy li'l bunny."

eta supporting evidence:

auntie aubrey 09-26-2007 02:59 PM

i'm a yearner and a starfish. i get my best sleep as a starfish but i fall asleep faster as a yearner.

i don't understand how people can sleep freefall. i can't stand lying on my stomach. makes me feel smothered.

Avalon 09-26-2007 03:26 PM

Usually the fetal position for me..the cat likes it best. :rolleyes: If I roll over to my back, she stands on my chest til I can no longer breathe, convincing me that sleeping so she can spoon her back into my abdomen, is indeed the best position.

auntie aubrey 09-26-2007 05:24 PM

aw, one of my kitties tried to get me to spoon in the fetal position the other night. i couldn't sleep that way so i had to put him up in his usual spot next to my pillow.

i can't fall asleep fetal, i'm too aware of the bend of all of my limbs. i think that's why i'm a starfish, too. i can't be tucked at all.

Earthling 09-26-2007 05:49 PM

Gee, I often sleep on my side, slightly tilted towards my stomach. I always figured its that way coz I have a kickstand.:cool:
Also, I always go to bed and lie on the side oppisite of my clogged nose. One side is always blocked, but it changes, and lying to the open side allows more air. Too, I sleep on an airbed, so I never toss and turn.