ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

trisherina 10-13-2007 11:52 AM

Irl snake is more girlish than she appears. I wish I had a better word but it's close.

In general, I agree with T.I.P. My observation is that people who (seemingly) try to hide or minimize aspects of themselves end up more transparent than they probably would ever want to know.

craig johnston 10-13-2007 12:57 PM

it's not a question of trying. i just am different to craig johnston.
let's face it, no one could be that chipper! i never consciously set
out to create an online personality, it just happened, and i was
wondering if others had had the same experience.

Frieda 10-13-2007 01:03 PM

well, of course there's stuff i won't talk about here (like work) and i don't go around using my real name.. but that's mostly because i don't want any next employers read about my hasselhoff fetish.

i do respond here like i would irl. i have no clue on how to pretend i'm someone else. i'm good at acting whenever there's a script and character description to follow, but freestyle sockpuppeting is not my thing.

maybe rob can enlighten you guys on how i am irl.. we met up a couple of years ago.

zero 10-13-2007 01:05 PM

when people meet me for the first time they'll often remark upon my great sense of humour, come-to-bed eyes and smouldering looks. then they'll say, for example: "omg zero - yours eyebrows!! you, zero, are very similar in appearance to academy award-winning puerto rican actor and film producer benicio del toro." yeh, admittedly i tend to play that side of me down when i'm online, so's to avoid a big fuss.

Frieda 10-13-2007 01:13 PM

so, am i the only one being myself here? :confused:

how does anyone "develop" an online personality, how does this work?

T.I.P. 10-13-2007 01:55 PM

No, and as i said i think most people here are also being themselves, whether consciously or not. If I felt compelled to change my personality to fit in here, i would probably think better of it and leave.

I'll add that online environments (like Second Life, for instance) can allow people to live in alternate realities and escape the drudgery of their everyday lives. They can be rich, beautiful and the life of the party online, when in reality they are rather ordinary. Those environments are fine as long as they remain a game - a place for testing real world things, like opening a business or whatever else you would need a testing ground for before taking it to the real world.

The danger is that some people become attached to their online persona, and try to escape the disappointments of real by living permanently in their fantasm. They stop trying to do cool stuff in real life because they can't control outcomes in real life the way they can online.

I guess that kind of escapism is possible, to some extent, on a bulletin board.

ok now my message is way too long. ack.

Anna 10-13-2007 02:12 PM

individual quotes not working for me and it's only my opinion.

Quote:

it's not a question of trying. i just am different to craig johnston. let's face it, no one could be that chipper! i never consciously set out to create an online personality, it just happened, and i was wondering if others had had the same experience
I'll never know the real you on line because I'm missing a big part of you, your physical presence. It's a fine line. Most people will say things on line they would never say irl to a stranger. Real life is far more intense and complex. Being online is like being a pleasant or an angry tourist, either way eventually you have to go home.

Quote:

well, of course there's stuff i won't talk about here (like work) and i don't go around using my real name..
smart and practical in today's world, a necessity unless it's your job or you're an independently wealthy eccentric. People have lost their positions because of their online personality.

Quote:

when people meet me for the first time they'll often remark upon my great sense of humour, come-to-bed eyes and smouldering looks. then they'll say, for example: "omg zero - yours eyebrows!! you, zero, are very similar in appearance to academy award-winning puerto rican actor and film producer benicio del toro." yeh, admittedly i tend to play that side of me down when i'm online, so's to avoid a big fuss.
I believe every word.

Quote:

so, am i the only one being myself here? how does anyone "develop" an online personality, how does this work?
Extreme online personalities are hit and run, but an average online personality will typically keep their personal information isolated. Regardless, you're always giving up a little bit of your privacy and perhaps a tiny piece of your soul because the internets never forgets and administration has your ip ;)

Anna 10-13-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.I.P. (Post 364873)
No, and as i said i think most people here are also being themselves, whether consciously or not. If I felt compelled to change my personality to fit in here, i would probably think better of it and leave.

but we act in different ways in different places, even in real life, no?

Quote:

I'll add that online environments (like Second Life, for instance) can allow people to live in alternate realities and escape the drudgery of their everyday lives. They can be rich, beautiful and the life of the party online, when in reality they are rather ordinary. Those environments are fine as long as they remain a game - a place for testing real world things, like opening a business or whatever else you would need a testing ground for before taking it to the real world.

The danger is that some people become attached to their online persona, and try to escape the disappointments of real by living permanently in their fantasm. They stop trying to do cool stuff in real life because they can't control outcomes in real life the way they can online.

I guess that kind of escapism is possible, to some extent, on a bulletin board.
If you have that bent in your personality you'll end up finding a way to escape disappointment regardless, if not online, drugs, drink or therapy.

Quote:

ok now my message is way too long. ack.
nah, on line social networking is a very compelling and modern topic, each year it's having a greater and greater impact on our lives. Most people in my day to day have never even heard of you tube. I am now a corrupting force of nature ;)

zero 10-13-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frieda
how does anyone "develop" an online personality, how does this work?

frieda it may be helpful to consider the case of xormiz's online arse:

xormiz has developed her online arse - it isnie a true reflection of her real arse.;)

T.I.P. 10-13-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 364877)
I am now a corrupting force of nature ;)

you forgot exquisite

an "exquisite" corrupting force of nature ;)

Don't take it too seriously though, i probably wouldn't have had the guts to say that in real life :p

12"razormix 10-13-2007 03:13 PM

isn't this real life?? :(

12"razormix 10-13-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero (Post 364878)
isnie a true reflection of her real arse

is too! i resent that :mad:

zero 10-13-2007 03:29 PM

^must've been developing hers offline arse as well.

auntie aubrey 10-13-2007 04:59 PM

i would say i'm very similar offline to how i am online with one exception that i think is fairly common. online i'm more aggressive. what i mean is, offline i'm far more likely to be conscious of how my words affect people and consider those consequences before opening my big fat mouth. i'm also more likely to consider how intimately i know someone before opening my big fat mouth. online i'm less likely to consider the consequences and since most interpersonal contact is not intimate, i don't usually consider how well i know someone before responding to something.

actually i don't know if aggressive is the right word, now that i think of it. i'm frank/blunt and say what's on my mind both on and offline. but offline i'm far more likely to weigh consequences and other external factors before doing so.

i also would say my reactions to things are more hyperbolic online just for the entertainment value. i'll overreact positively or negatively in an online capacity because i find emotional outbursts funny in a text-only environment. for example i don't really get "mad" about things offline, but i'll express "madness" online even if i am, in reality, not mad. this is particularly true with other strong emotions like outrage. i'll express it online, even though offline it's not something i would give much thought to. if that makes any sense.

it's like an exaggerated caricature version of personality.

but in general, you're getting pretty much the same auntie all ways 'round.

12"razormix 10-13-2007 05:04 PM

( in real life, i don't carry a bucket on my head )