View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Klynne
monkey

My dog is a fatty

I had to take my 2 year old pom to the vet a couple of times because her left front leg is hurting her. She is limping. The first time, the vet just said it was soft tissue damage. My boyfriend took her and her regular vet was not in, so someone else saw her. Today, I took her, and her regular vet saw her. She checked her out, and said it was the early stages of arthritis, and recommended joint supplements. She also told me that Layla is chubby. Layla is almost 13 lbs and her ideal weight is 10 lbs. She asked me how much I was feeding her, and I told her 1/2 a cup of dry kibble a day. Then she asked me what brand, and I told her Innova. She told me that I was feeding her too much, and she only needs 200 calories a day! On top of all this, it has been so hot, (90 degrees right now at 10 p.m.) so, I have not been taking her out to walk. Even when it is cooler out, she refuses to walk. So, I have been feeding her too much, which makes her fat, her arthritis flairs, and so of course, she does not want to walk. So, the plan is, I bought her the supplements, and the vet told me to reduce what I feed her. (okay here comes the math, I fed her 1/4 of a cup in the a.m., and 1/4 of a cup at night, so she said give her 3/4 of 1/4 of a cup twice a day. What the hell is that? 3/8ths of a cup a day?)

If any of you have advice on weight loss for a fat little dog, I would appreciate it

Last edited by Klynne : 09-01-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Klynne is offline   Reply With Quote