View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
T.I.P.
balancing actor

introduction

Hello

I will start out by saying that this thread makes me very happy and seize the occasion to present myself.

I live in Paris, France. I'm currently finishing a phd in acoustics, I specialize in 3D audio rendering techniques. Though I received no formal education in art I have taken great interest in it and tried to inform myself on the subject these past years. I've also had the chance to work with some composers and installation artists, which has further piqued my curiosity and interest in the subject.

I've just gotten back to Paris after a brief visit to New York City. It's amazing to see the amount of inspiration that I receive from that place every time I visit.

I started at the Guggenheim, in part because it was a Tuesday and nothing else was open. A show on spanish artists, from El Greco to Picasso, is currently finishing there. I'm not necessarily a huge fan but I decided to humor my 80 year old grandmother who had come into the city to visit me and wanted to see it. I ended up really enjoying the show; the parallels show the enormous influence that people like Velasquez and Goya had on Picasso, as is illustrated by the following parallel:

I had a preconception about Dali much similar to Brynn's (it's funny and comforting to know that other people have felt that way about his work). I've always found it repetitive and slightly lifeless or bland. The works I saw in the Guggenheim show really changed my mind about him, notably this one:

The rifle symbolizes Dali's sexual attraction for the woman (i think his wife, but i'm not sure) and the leaping tigers express the power of his lust. I stayed quite a long time in front of this one and it changed my outlook on his work. Not quite the epiphany described by Brynn but still mind altering.

As the week continued I visited the Rubin Museum of Art. The museum displays a large collection of Himalayan art (very old mandalas, thankas, statues). A tibetan artist, Pema Rinzin, is currently in residence there and you can see him working on the 6th floor. The museum is really a haven of peace in the middle of NY; I ended up going twice just to sit and absorb the tranquility of this wonderful museum (open since late 2004).

Two shows at MOMA were interesting; Jeff Wall and his modernist approach to photography, as can be seen in the composition of the following photographs:

His use of very large backlit photographs is really stunning. The retrospective is short (no more than 30 photos) and I really recommend it. On the bottom floor, the Out Of Time exhibition sports a very nice Bill Viola piece as well as the famous Warhol film Empire in which a sunrise on the empire state building is
slowed down to last 8 hours, thus rendering its evolution imperceptible to the human eye. This brings me back to the whole avant-garde electronic drone scene which I think owes alot to Brian Eno. Thank you for the link to the 77 million paintings which I found very interesting (after Music For Elevators, Eno gives us Paintings For Living Rooms, which I find funny and very fitting).

A visit of the Whitney revealed a very interesting and stunning Gordon Matta Clark exhibition that I really liked: It made me want to demolish walls in nice ways.

Finally the excellent PS1 gallery in Queens was my favorite of all. It sported 3 excellent exhibitions: Jonas Mekas and his video installations; a black and white photography exhibition by Tom Sandberg which was f'ing amazing

(that plane is far far above the ground by the way...); and finally Vik Muniz and his object arrangements that play on the difference between the up close and far away observation. I guess you could parallel the in between zone to an Escher picture in which you would choose to either observe the component objects or the figure that is represented by their juxtaposition:

This cupid (after Caravaggio) is one of the many examples of prowess that he displays in arranging things such as toys, caviar, spaghetti, peanut butter, junk, diamonds, etc... into famous and original compositions.

Now I must digest this stuff
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote