View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 06:25 PM   #8
lapietra
half baked

Yesterday I went for a walk somewhere I haven't been in a long time. In fact, I'd never been exactly *there* before, only in the vicinity; a trail as of yet unexplored by me.
I took a sandwich and some water; no music. I wanted to hear nothing except sounds I would encounter along the way.

I heard the wind whooshing in the trees; I heard birdcalls, hawk cries, woodpeckers making tattoos on trees high above in the cool recesses of the pine forest; squirrels chittering and rustling in the branches; lizards skittering across the dry rocky path in front of me to disappear in cracks in mossy granite boulders. I heard many insect sounds since I had forgotten to bring bug repellant - gnats, figeaters, bumblebees, bee-flies, loud and faint by turns. For about five minutes at one point, I repeatedly heard the loud, dry vibration of a rattlesnake's tail as I approached him, hidden in some dry bushes, out of the reach of the hot sun; approached him and backed away; heard him as I approached the path by him again, wanting to pass to get to the field of blue and white lupines I had been told lay ahead. Heard him announce his irritation yet again as I tapped at the ground exploratively with my walking stick; heard his final admonition as I finally ran headlong past him, the chilling rattle lasting long after I'd gone.

Every so often I heard a "hello" from a fellow visitor, but very seldom. I was mostly on my own.
I also saw and smelled some wonderful things, but I could have done that had I gone with a friend. One of the best reasons to be alone is to hear the symphony of quiet sound that fills silence.

Last edited by lapietra : 03-31-2003 at 06:28 PM.
lapietra is offline   Reply With Quote