View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #1734
Brynn
constantly amazed

Sure, there is always something more that we can do for anybody and everybody all the time - it's just impossible to know who needs it the most. We are merely human, without unlimited sources of energy, time and discernment, unfortunately.
I considered suicide a long time ago when I was 19 and had never experienced so much pain and grief before, so had no idea how to handle it. I remember just wanting the pain to end. I was not thinking about how hurt my family would be, and wasn't worried about friends because I truly felt I had no one who cared about me at that time in my life.
I don't think a superficial fix like one random kind word, a comment on Facebook or a dinner invitation would have convinced me not to go through with it. The only thing that kept me alive until I could adjust to the pain and accept it was a counselor who made a deal with me to just keep showing up for future appointments I made at the end of each session. She said I always had the option of killing myself later if I still wanted to, and indeed, I would have that option for the rest of my life. That seemed reasonable to me, and I appreciated that she took my intentions seriously.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote