ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #4051
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
chelicera - pince-nez sunglasses.

When Hugh Laurie appeared on the hit TV show House in chelicera made by Black Widow Eyeware, a division of Arachnid Inc., its distinctive hour-glass shape prompted a distinct uptick in pince-nez eyewear of all kinds.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:47 AM   #4052
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

chelicera - scars left by ritualistic initiation; also used figuratively: scars left on the soul by entering a different state

Ysobel's chelicera left her wondering whether adulthood is worth it.
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #4053
Coffee
Cheeses Save

chelicera - A predictable orchestral encore.

The Sleeper Missouri High School Beethoven concert almost didn't get a standing ovation for fear that Moonlight Sonata would be the chelicera of choice.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #4054
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
chelicera - obsc. Doberman Chelicera, a breed of dog, more commonly known as "Doberman Pinscher"

When Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann first named his unique breed of dog, he chose "Doberman Chelicera", but was soon persuaded that not enough of the world knew enough ancient Greek to understand his allusion.

Last edited by Marcus Bales : 03-19-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Marcus Bales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #4055
treekisser
It isn't easy being green

This word is growing stale. Let's try to wrap it up this week.
treekisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #4056
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

chelicera - leftover zwieback crumbs in one's bed

Ysobel woke up in the discomforting company of variegated chelicera and vowed to start spring cleaning as soon as the first rays of sun would light up the horizon.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #4057
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

dude... you've got 18 to pick from now... go for it!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #4058
treekisser

Dear Fellow Dictionarios,

For the past hour or so, I have been working on the judging of the "chelicera" round. I was entering comments on the very last of the 18 entries when I hit a wrong key and lost everything before I could post it!!! Too bad, because my judging was assisted by running commentary from two shrinks, Rorschach and Freud, who analyzed, interpreted, and diagnosed each of the contributors through their definition(s). You would have been amused but, alas, I will never, ever be able to reproduce it.

The true definition of chelicera, for what it's worth, is "either of the first pair of appendaces near the mouth of a spider or other arachnid, often modified for grasping."

Among all of the cases presented, Drs. Rorschach, Freud and I selected lukkucairi's definition as most noteworthy. We thought it remarkable that any conscious, English-speaking person could look at a word like chelicera and imagine a verb. So lukku, you get the gold. As for the rest of you, who our panel diagnosed as likely suffering from vagina envy, overactive imagination, obsessive compulsive disorder, and/or some other garden variety neurosis, please treat yourselves to an enema, strait jacket, lobotomy, or electric shock therapy on me as consolation for my grievous errors of commission and omission.

Lukku, have at it.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #4059
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

^ That is most unfortunate.

cheliceratic hugs, Ysa
Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #4060
lukkucairi
lichtzauberer

hear ye hear ye, the new word is

pulveratricious
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #4061
lukkucairi
lichtzauberer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treekisser View Post

Among all of the cases presented, Drs. Rorschach, Freud and I selected lukkucairi's definition as most noteworthy. We thought it remarkable that any conscious, English-speaking person could look at a word like chelicera and imagine a verb.
Nonsense - there are plenty of loanword verbs in this language that end in vowels. I could hit you over the head with a thick book of them, if you'd only sit still for long enough.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #4062
treekisser

lukku,
It was meant as a compliment for your creative thinking, but I accept your gentle offering of lumps on my head in peace.
tk
Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #4063
lukkucairi
lichtzauberer

tk, dammit, sit still

don't make me get all pulveratricious. my aim isn't that good
Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #4064
Marcus Bales

pulveratricious - after John Pulver, US Congressman (D-NC, 1820-38), from Buncombe County North Carolina

In 1820, John Pulver, who represented Buncombe County, North Carolina, in the U.S. House of Representatives, was supposed to address the question of admitting Missouri as a free or slave state. It was his first attempt to speak on this subject after nearly a month of solid debate and right before the vote was to be called. Pulver insisted on delivering a long and wearisome speech addressed to his constituents in Buncombe County that had little to do with the slavery issue. He was eventually shouted down by his colleagues, but his persistent effort made "pulveratricious" (later respelled "pulvericious", and shortened to "pulv") a synonym for meaningless political claptrap and later for any kind of nonsense. The term became a joke and metaphor in Washington, and soon became common usage.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #4065
Marcus Bales

pulveratricious - of or pertaining to a lie so obviously untrue and yet retailed with such panache and vigor that the enjoyment of the bald-facedness of the outright prevarication actually reconciles its auditors to the fact that the teller has weasled out of a job of work.

When we heard Treekisser's pulveratricious story, we laughed, shrugged, and went on with the game.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: