ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Cell Phone National DO NOT CALL List!

In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls. You will be charged for these calls.

Call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222.

It is the national DO NOT CALL list. It only takes a minute of your time. It blocks your number for 5 years.

Please pass this on to everyone you know who doesn't want to be hassled.

--------
I just received the above info. Note that this is a national do-not-call list, but a California agency, so I do not know if it is the number to call if you live outside of California. For those of you in other states, you might consider looking into the agency that informs the list in your state before numbers are released in a few weeks.

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
Avalon

I found this just now. But read the entire article for information about a cell 411 release.
http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar..._directory.htm
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Max Headroom
monkey

I guess that solves that issue

Fashion takes something beautiful and over time makes it ugly.
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I found this just now. But read the entire article for information about a cell 411 release.
http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar..._directory.htm
Yeah, I saw that too, after I posted. The urban legend has to do with the fact (or falsity, actutally) that they are "releasing phone numbers" in a "few weeks." That isn't happening.

But they are publishing cell phone directories in 2006, and you CAN register your cell number with the Do Not Call list, which if I recall you couldn't (and didn't need to) do originally, and the number given IS a real number to register. I don't know about you, but registering my home phone did stop the incessant marketing calls, and I don't think it's a bad idea to have my cell phone registered as well.

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Old 08-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
Avalon

The whole thing stinks; that is why I said for everyone to read the entire article.

The do not call list hasn't helped much as I had hoped; there are ways to get around it and non-profit orgs. don't have to recognize it. I find myself having no patience for solicitors on my land line, I can only imagine how I will react to a call to my cell.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
xfox
slightly effective

Thanks Mr. Smartypants!
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:09 AM   #7
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
The do not call list hasn't helped much as I had hoped;
When the call list first went into effect, the telemarketing calls nearly stopped completely on my home phone, but they increased 20 fold on my business line. If I still had employees I was paying and they had to answer these calls all day I would have a shit fit. Now that I have caller ID, I don't even answer the phone in my home OR office unless I know who it is, because 90% of the calls to my company are sales calls.

Now the calls are increasing again on the residential line despite the Do Not Call list and I've noticed this new thing that drives me up the wall -- salespeople calling and leaving messages that say that they are returning MY call to THEM. This has got to be some new scam to skirt the do-not-call laws.

A friend told me today that she got four calls from people who told her they were responding to her e-mail request for information about re-financing her home. Then they acted confused when she said she never requested it. The last one, when questioned, told her he had the e-mail in front of him, but the e-mail address he told her it came from wasn't hers. My guess is that the company generates the false e-mail so that if prosecuted can innocently show the e-mail as evidence they didn't think they were making unsolicited calls, and what's worse (based on what my friend says sounded like genuine confusion on the caller's part) is I think they dangle these fraudulent "requests" in front of people who are looking for jobs and tell them they're going to be provided with all these real leads of people who have shown interest in whatever crap they're pushing, so all they have to do is dial 'em up and rake in the commissions. The whole thing smells like bad fish to me -- for the people who get called and the hapless salespeople as well. Phooey.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:17 AM   #8
Con ate dog
some guy

If Zefrank gives out annual awards, I hereby nominate Smartypants in the Public Service category.

Well done, sir.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 AM   #9
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

3 words for you people.

Non

Published

Number.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:29 AM   #10
Frieda
in limbo

i have one of those and i get a lot of telemarketers calling for all kinds of shit.. so here that doesn't work..

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:39 AM   #11
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

That is weird.

The only ones I get are when it's a telemarketer or survey-taker on a random dialer.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:00 AM   #12
Zaftig
monkey

I went ape shit on a tele-marketer yesterday and I feel pretty bad about it. I go to sleep in the morning and sleep until around 3pm. I shut my ringer off but when I have to get up earlier, say for a dentist appoint, like yesterday, I leave the ringer on and Sim gives me a wake up call just in case I don't wake up on time. So 12:30 rolls around and it's the same 800 number that I've seen on the caller ID the past few weeks calling around the same time. I've never answered it before. So it rings and I wake up. Grab the phone and see the stupid number. I should have just let it ring, but I answer.

Me: "Hello!?!?!?!!!"
Lady: "Hi, this is STUPID IDIOT from Roger's wirel. . "

Me: "I've seen this number on my caller ID. I don't want whatever it is that your peddling. Your number's been on my caller ID for weeks. I WORK NIGHTS AND SLEEP DURING THE DAYS SO STOP CALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lady: "We'll take you off our list."

Me (ever so sweetly): Thank you.

We rarely got spam calls until we got our car loan and now we get calls all the freaking time.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #13
red
elite rabble

we canceled our landline because
1) we hate SBC (fvcktards)
2) we hate telemarketers

We never give out our number when people ask for it

It would suck major if cell phone numbers were on telemarketers lists.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #14
zenbabe
Lollypop!

If those pieces of shit start calling my cell phone......

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: