ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
Klynne
monkey

Advice about Dog training

I have a 10 month old pomeranian. When I took her to the basic obedience class, at 8 weeks old, she was very good. Now, that I am in the advanced class with her, she loses it, can't focus on the tasks and, barks at the other dogs. I take her on walks every day. When she was younger, she ignored cars driving by, but now, she just goes crazy. Not every time. Sometimes, the cars will go by and she ignores them. Some days she just loses it. What we have been doing on our walks, when I see a car is going to pass, is tell her to sit, or lay down, and look at me. I will give her a treat. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. On the days she chooses to ignore the cars, once they pass, and she hasn't made a peep, I immediately give her a treat and tell her how good she is. I am thinking they way she reacts, is directly related to how I am reacting. Maybe, if I am relaxed, and not anticipating her reaction, is when she blows off any distraction. Any advice? Thanks, Kay
Klynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
zero

give it a rub
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo
Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
12"razormix

Quote:
barks at the other dogs
dogs do that.

dogs usually react
Quote:
they way she reacts.

Quote:
Any advice?
yes. let her be a dog.
12"razormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Klynne
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12"razormix View Post
dogs do that.

dogs usually react

yes. let her be a dog.
So, you can't train a dog not to go ape shvt crazy? I want her to feel free to be a dog, but have a pleasant walk with her. It is no big deal, or maybe it is. She is only 7 lbs, not like she will drag me into traffic. I would just like her to relax a bit.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

If you were looking for a calm dog who is easy for a novice owner to train, a Pomeranian is not the best place to start. They are known for protective or defensive-type barking in response to all kinds of passing stimuli. So her behaviour sounds like an ordinary Pomeranian. And, typical of Spitz breeds, they can be very stubborn and single-minded. What kinds of things did you do to check for behavioural pliancy and response to dominance when you chose her as a pup? Whatever strategy you choose to direct her behaviour (you described distraction and treats, which are nice and positive), you will need to be very consistent -- do it the same way every time, right down to the tone of your voice -- and expect that training out these more breed-specific behaviours takes A LOT of time -- months to years -- and in fact is sometimes not achievable for every owner. Which (just to be clear) is not the dog's fault.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
Klynne
monkey

Thanks Trish,

It is really the advice I do need. I have her by a fluke. I did not go out to buy, or get a dog. My boyfriend rescued her from a very bad situation. She was abused and flea ridden. I told him, ok, just take her to the vet, then you can bring her to my house, and then we will find a home for her. Problem is, when she came to my house, I fell in love with her. So, I am just trying to raise her right. She is the first dog I have ever had, and I want to be a good owner.

Last edited by Klynne : 05-16-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I wish you the best of luck -- dogs with abuse/neglect histories can be even tougher to predict because so much more than breeding has shaped their behaviour before you even got there. You've taken on a big job in that little dog... the best dog training book I ever read was Brian Kilcommons' Good Owners, Great Dogs -- you should be able to take it out at the library if you don't want to buy it. It tackles easy and difficult subjects, and while I've had dogs whose behaviour in the end I've just had to live with (usually b/c I wasn't willing to put in what it would take to train something out), Kilcommons had good advice for every concern I've ever encountered over 20 years and three different dogs of widely varying receptiveness. Read as much as you can about breed type, too -- as I recall you have a brother who is a vet, and he should be able to tell you lots about Poms and their ways.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
Klynne
monkey

Thanks, I will buy the book. I do take my dog to advanced classes they also offer play time, which I take her to. She just acts agressive during class. Classes are a structured event, and she just freaks out. Play is play and she has fun. She does get a little aggressive during play. Only if another dog wants my attention, she jumps into my lap and snarls at any dog that tries to be near me. Must be she tries to "protect" me. A 7 lb dog who thinks she is a 100 lbs. My four year old nephew and Layla are buddies. She loves to kiss him, and cuddle him. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Frieda
in limbo

she isn't protecting you, she's showing other dogs that you're hers and telling them to stay away. you need to teach her she's yours, and not the other way around. you're the bosslady! don't allow her to step on your toes or have other forms of "possessive" contact with you.. like sitting on your lap, etc unless you allow her to. maybe the people at the dog training can give you some good advice on how to do this too

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: