Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #3451
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

quink, v., quank, quunk,- to shrink from hasty judging
origin: Native American

"Judgement shall not pass without due reflection - I'll quink until the pressure builds up slowly and people start posting multiple entries which will automatically disqualify them and I will be able to post another new word, triumphantly."
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #3452
dddrum
Amateur Human

quink n.,

basic unit of time used to measure Rip Van Winkelian snoozes.

I took 40 quinks, then returned to the ZeBoard, only to lapse into quink 41.

[Seriously, I am sorry, gang. The honor of winning the last round was, while obviously unexpected, nonetheless great. Thanks, Ysa! --DDD]

Now, innkeep, bring hither fifty flagons of kaffee!

Last edited by dddrum : 01-20-2009 at 07:49 PM.
dddrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #3453
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
Okay I just had a great idea. Dddrum can judge this round. That'll bring the thing into balance again, and we can go on as before.

Dddrum you're up!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #3454
dddrum
Amateur Human

Gotcha. And I'll be right back to do just that.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #3455
Coffee
Cheeses Save

don't fall for it ddd, you know he hates to judge...make him work for his somewhat less than triumphant return.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 AM   #3456
dddrum
Amateur Human

FIVE YEARS LATER...

Heh heh. The funniest thing...

but seriously, let's get right to it. Quink. The field was slim but pithy (for the Mudville nine that day), and I must say that it wasn't easy to pick a winner. Oh who am I kidding? It was ridiculously easy to pick a winner. The hard part was making sure that the winner was, in fact, the best entry. Or at least one of them. To help me with this, I employed a Flemish monk, who rendered each entry with the finest calligraphy, illuminating them in 13th century style (which was, generally, by candlelight), and most importantly, putting bigass numbers on 'em, so's I could keep 'em straight. So. Here's the rundown:

31,419.) YsaPur EsChomuw had the highest number, partially explainable by the fact that it was a Multiple Entry. Or, rather, THEY. Was. *ahurm* The first one in,

1. quick kinky sex with a peppery twist
2. the curl in a pig's tail

was quite funny, but begged the question, "What would you call twisted sex with kinky pigtails?" That the answer (Wendy's Triple Stacker) was not addressed explains its unceremonious disposal. The last one in,

to shrink from hasty judging

was a rotten egg. No, not really, ha ha. But it was a multiple, so tsk.

17.) Stephi_B's "quantum" entry gave me no solace. Shaken, but unstirred, I cranked my reading glasses up to the next power and tried again.

an unpredictable entity of a physical quantity which can perfectly mimic a quantum at and for any given time;
colloquially also often called "cheeky cheating quantum" (CCQ)
CCQs are promising candidates for completely indecipherable, irreversible quantum encoding and thus currently the main focus of scientific interest of governments, military and secret services worldwide.

Oog. By the third sentence, I'm not even sure I was still awake. I just remember all these scientists chasing me down long corridors, while somebody kept playing old Monkees songs (I think it might've been The Monkees), and I was saying, "Why, Miss Stephi, without my glasses, you're illegible!" Fortunately, Miss_B had another, far more decipherable angle to play.

the touch of magic needed to make the universe stop turning, take a deep breath, and then start turning the other way round

Now that, chirrens, is pure poetry. I could really believe that that might, in fact, truly define a quink. It is just too bad that everybody got all hot and bothered by multiple entries while I was gone, but hey, far be it from me to buck a trend. Anathema is ath anathema dothes.. err, does.

8.) xfox's simple, elegant entry

predecessor of quark

would have scored higher if it had been correct. However, Quink was in fact the predecessor of Justice Robert Bork, Reagan's controversial Supreme Court nominee from the mid-1980's. "Oo," as Alex Trebek is wont to say, "sooreee."

E.)Brynn snags the bronze this go-round, with her mini-tribute to Broadway ...or is it to Cervantes? Or Richard Kiley? Nevertheless,

(v.) to bear the unbearable sorrow, to fight the unbeatable foe.

induced an armour-rattling chuckle, to which I respond with a tilt of the ol' windmill, and the Third Place Award.

.) I had a real actual honest-ta-God dilemma in choosing between the top two entrants. I mean I went round and round and round... then I started to shout "WOOOOOO WOOOOOO! Dingdingdingding!!" and all the neighborhood kids began chasing me down the street with wonder and delight. Herewith, my problem...

From treekisser:

quink n. the sound made by a hog following a meal of sour pickles and persimmons

and, courtesy of lukkucairi:

quink (n) : the secret wink of the freemasons

It's a dead heat, I tells ya! In fact, I'm tempted to declare a tie, but therein lieth wimpdom... so I'm gonna suck it up, and with thanks to all you definers, I bestow upon lukkucairi the silver medal, and declare

TREEKISSER IS THE CHAMPEEN!

Oh yeah, a quink is actually a bartender's nipple.

(No? Umm... Marcus? A little help, please?)
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #3457
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
Quink - bernicia glaucogastra - the common brant, a kind of goose, mostly brown and black.

Treekisser -- what's the new word?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #3458
treekisser
It isn't easy being green

Jeez, Marcus, let me savor this for just a little while.

First the inauguration of Barack Obama and then winning in the Dictionary Game in the same week! Why, I'm speechless, or rather I would be speechless had I not prepared a little something to say on the remote chance that an occasion such as this might present itself.

Sheer humility restrains me from revealing the many hours of work - research, drafting and redrafting, market testing, focus groups, spellchecking, copyright searching - that took place before the winning entry ever saw the light of day. It may look easy to all of you but, believe me, the gallons of perspiration and sleepless nights were a high price to pay for getting to this moment!

By way of disclosure, please rest assured that no hogs were harmed in the development of my winning definition.

I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the inspired judging of dddrum, who neither wavered nor dddawdled upon receiving the dddirective of Chairman Marcus to judge the DDDictionary Game (or else!). DDDrum, you ddda man!

To Lukku and to all of the other brilliant contributors whose hopes of victory were dddashed with the dddecision of the judge and who now suffer the agony of dddefeat, I offer my consolation, admiration and affection. There is always tomorrow - and yesterday, for that matter. Believe me, I have paid my dues and I know this to be true.

For brevity's sake, I shall conclude here with the confession that in my heart of hearts, I truly believed that a quink was indeed a bartender's nipple.

Now onward, and let us continue our good work with the word orgeat
treekisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #3459
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

orgeat - orgasmic eating, a swiftly spreading lifestyle among women abandoned by their lover

Ysobel contemplated an orgeat party for her friends on Saturday, but some quink sounds awakened her from her reverie.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #3460
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

orgeat n also: (med)
derives from a concatenation of or get at and names a person whose obvious actions and/or speech is/are dubious to everyone (in some cases including the orgeat him-/herself, but of course this is a matter as dubious as anything in relation with an orgeat)

to orgeate v
to act like or be an orgeat

I'm unsure whether he really is an orgeat or whether orgeating is just his trick to get everyone laid.... in any case the effect is smashing!
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #3461
Coffee
Cheeses Save

orgeat

An annual non-profit group luncheon accompanied by an award ceremony for the organization's most contributing sucker...i mean volunteer...for that year.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #3462
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

orgeat - Lat. third person singular present subjunctive of orgēre, to fvck.

Orgeat emptor! i.e. Fvck the buyer! is the motto and secret principle of all sellers.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #3463
Pixie Cherries
I can benchpress 300 oz.

Orgeat ~ New. Accounting terminology used to explain the handling of bailout monies granted to banks and other institutions. Legitimized at the last minute prior to Bush leaving office. A real time saver during audits.

Simple, precise and easy to spell. A masterful, full service term meaning "The organization ate my bailout money". If you are a victim of orgeat, take heart. This is good for up to, but not in excess of the first 50 billion.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #3464
Master_Jedi
Shaggy

Orgeat - a compound slang word. Original word was orgineat, literally meaning to masticate live animals. Slang originated in T.I.'s original rap song, "Don't go a orgeatin on me."

Can't wait till next season. =D
Master_Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #3465
Marcus Bales

orgeat - a person who has become a functionary; one who has sublimated his or her personality into the organization, or has so thoroughly identified his or her own interests with those of the organization that they are indistinguishable.

"Betty has really drunk the company koolaid, hasn't she?"
"Yeah, she's a real orgeat all right."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: