ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > GOOD READING
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2002, 11:00 AM   #1
Eruantale
Bad Egg

Harry Potter. Yes, THE Harry Potter :)

Some part of me can't believe I'm doing this. I, who only a bit over one year ago refused to accept any fantasy book other than my beloved Tolkien's, and wrote long, comprehensive articles about why JK Rowling sucks.

Then came Summer '01. I daresay about 70% of my friends left the country for a holiday in this island or another, and shortly after I found myself walking rather aimlessly around the house, going mad with boredome and planning aforementioned friends' brutal deaths as revenge. My mother, who had been spending that entire year trying to convince me to give Harry Potter a chance, finally became fed up with my constant whining.
'If you're so bored, go read Harry Potter!' she exclaimed, gesturing towards a book shelf. Giving in, I made my way to my little brother's room, pausing in front of his book shelf. There he was, quite impossible to miss, the ponce with the round glasses and the scar on his forehead, and casting away my entire value system I grabbed 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone', and made for my favourite reading spot in our back garden.

That was in mid-July. By early August, I was already hailing JK Rowling as the goddess she is.

Because Harry Potter isn't just another children's fantasy book. It's not even a children's book. It was quite misplaced in the kiddie sections of bookshops and libraries, if you ask me... far beyond being an excellent read, the effort put into it is quite simply amazing. The attention to the smallest details is just incredible, creating a world so rich and so realistic you'll probably end up wondering whether that odd old lady who lives across the street isn't a witch herself. JK Rowling has the talent of leading her readers by rope to one direction through the whole plot... then suddenly spinning them around to the completely opposite one, giving them a whole new point of view on things. Sort of like "Fight Club", only magical
Another nice thing about the books is how they grow up with the characters. No, you probably won't get to see much shagging, but the subjects the books deal with constantly mature, growing darker and darker as the plot advances. The parallels she creates between real mythological tales and the subtextial referrences to everything from Hitler to king Arthur all wrapped up neatly in a humourous writing style (She's no Pratchett, but she can make you laugh out loud from time to time) make this book not only a good read, but an excellent one.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:01 PM   #2
catbelly
monkey

What, no one else likes Harry?

Well, I'm sorta like you Eruantale - I was a bit skeptical, but then I was house-sitting for my cousin and her gf, and they had the whole set. I spent a weekend reading with a cat on my lap, like I was 10 years old again!

I like that JKR tackles some issues in the books ... e.g. she made the school fairly multicultural, etc., and I think she uses Hagrid and others to teach people that you can be different (not conventionally socially acceptable) but still be a good, kind, worthy person. That said, I find her a bit heavy handed with issues that are really pretty light when it comes down to it. I do realize that they're books for kids, not social commentary ... I just wish that books directed at kids were a bit more ballsy when it comes to addressing issues. After all, people don't become bigots out of nowhere at the age of 25.

ER... so anyway, I'm looking forward to the new movie. You?
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 04:20 AM   #3
Eruantale
Bad Egg

Quote:
e.g. she made the school fairly multicultural, etc.
Mmm, actually, it's been worked out - considering wizards are listed down in public records - that the wizarding population in Britain is 0.016% of the general society - meaning there are only 592 wizards and witches who are of an ethnical minority (General UK society having something like 4,000,000 citizens who fall under that category). It has also been established that Hogwarts students are 10% of the wizarding society, which means there are only 59-60 students at Hogwarts who aren't caucasian. So it's not that much, but yeah, I see where you're coming from.

Still, as lovely as it is that they're seemingly beyond the race/gender/religion bit, they do have other types of prejudice, mind. Where they don't discriminate against someone because s/he's black, they'll discriminate because s/he's not a Pure-Blood. And don't even get me started on werewolves, half-giants and the like...

But yes, I do think she's having the books set a good example, especially for children... and it's really too bad they're under children's books, because a fair few adults could do with learning from them... *looks meaningfully at certain world leaders*

Quote:
so anyway, I'm looking forward to the new movie. You?
Definitely even though I must say, I was vastly dissappointed by it last year. But the trailers and reviews seem promissing... far more than they did with PS/SS. So, yeah, it's not like a ticket costs that much... at worst, those are three wasted hours I could get back on any weekend
Old 11-07-2002, 07:43 PM   #4
catbelly
monkey

Re: the discrimination, true enough - I saw that as a device she used to talk really plainly about racial/cultural/religious discrimination using an example that isn't from "real life." All that about tainted blood, etc. Good for her, eh?

Gender... I dunno, I wasn't so happy with Hermione... she seemed like the old "not conventionally pretty but really smart and feisty" stereotype to me. Especially later on in the series, when she "cleans up" and goes on a date with the guy from the other school, and "turns out" to be attractive. Kinda like an Anne of Green Gables thing.

I liked the first movie! I was glad they didn't change the name for Canada the way they did in the US. The story was a lot scarier in my own head than onscreen, though. When I read about Voldemort being revealed as being under the dude's turban the whole time, MAN - I got the major heebie jeebies. In the movie it wasn't so scary. Oh well. What didn't you like about it?
Old 11-13-2002, 12:20 AM   #5
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Wow. I was gonna be one of those poeple who refused to follow the Harry Potter trend. But then, I read a chapter from the first book, and was hooked. I have all the novels, and read them all at least thrice. When the heck is the 5th book coming out??

How could any movie do justice for the Harry Potter books? I think the only thing that truly surprised me was what a piece of a** Prof. Snape was! Mmm hmmm.. break me off a piece of that! Am I the only one in the universe with a Snape fettish? ::sigh::

Last edited by AllegroNg : 11-13-2002 at 12:24 AM.
AllegroNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 04:08 PM   #6
NekoPunk
Don't dream it, be it...

nah, i agree. he's pretty hot. ^_~
You bring your knees in tight...
But it's the pelvic thrust...
That really drives you insane!
Let's do the time-warp again!
NekoPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:20 AM   #7
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

It's been a long time since I saw the first movie, so I don't remember if Snape was in it. I assume we're talking about the second one?

It's not in HK yet. Maybe next week...

Definitely looking forward to seeing Snape now.
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:19 PM   #8
NekoPunk
Don't dream it, be it...

he's so in the first movie.... black shoulder length hair, taught potions? that's him. i'm sure he's in the second one, too
Old 11-14-2002, 09:40 PM   #9
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Red face

Oooooh yes, Neko, he is. Mmm hmm.. I'll be seeing that sweet ass tomorrow!!

(tee hee.. sorry)
Old 11-14-2002, 10:03 PM   #10
NekoPunk
Don't dream it, be it...

*LOL* whoo baby, dang. watch it!
Old 11-17-2002, 08:16 PM   #11
catbelly
monkey

I saw it! Snape was hot, oh yeah. You're definitely not alone, AllegroNg!
Old 11-17-2002, 08:18 PM   #12
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Mmm hmm.. is it me, or is it getting hot in here?

Wow, that movie was loooooooong.. I don't think my ass could handle another visit!:-P
Old 11-17-2002, 08:27 PM   #13
catbelly
monkey

Who'd've thunk we'd be watching Harry Potter movies to get off? LOL

Alan Rickman is the best gothic mean-but-sexy dude, I must say.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:31 PM   #14
NekoPunk
Don't dream it, be it...

sho nuff!!! ^_^
Old 11-20-2002, 07:13 PM   #15
Josue
Swollen Member

That's not quidditch they're playing...

Anyone hear about the Harry Potter toy they marketed last year?

It was a vibrating broomsticks and mothers across the land couldn't understand how their teenage daughters went through so many batteries. until they tried the toy themselves.

Wish i had a link to back this up with, but it's true. i saw it in 'truly weird news' in a monthly in redding, ca.
Josue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: