ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Miss Malevolent
Bitch³

Are you biased?

Religious Bias - Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Other Religions

Disability Bias - Your data suggest little or no automatic preference

American Identity - Your data suggest a strong automatic association between Native Am. and American

Sexual Orientation Bias - Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Straight People

Arab Bias - Your data suggest little or no automatic preference

Weapon Bias - Your data suggest a moderate automatic association between European American and Weapons

Black/White Children Bias - Your data suggest little or no automatic preference

Black/White Adult Bias - Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for African American

Skin-Tone Bias - Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Darker Skin

American Identity Asian - Your data suggest a slight automatic association between Euro-American and American

Age Bias - Your data suggest little or no automatic preference

Gender Bias - Your data suggest a slight automatic association between Male and Science

Body Image Bias - Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Fat People

I'm shocked to see the only strong bias I have is in viewing Native Americans as the truest Americans in this country. I mean I never felt rabid about that...and here the test is saying I am.

I mean it's true they are, I just didn't think I gave it much thought...

I wasn't surprised by the religion, as I'm Christian.
I'm surprised that I identify weapons with European-Americans.
And I'm slighty surprised about preferring fat people over thin people. Then again I'm trying to lose some pounds myself.

I really thought I would have all slight/little or no preferences.

Take the test, here...
Marquise De Merteuil: Women are obliged to be far more skillful than men. You can ruin our reputation and our life with a few well-chosen words...And I've succeeded because I've always known I was born to dominate your sex and avenge my own.
Miss Malevolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:26 PM   #2
malina
leaving

this must be a joke!

the questions alone are so offensive that it's impossible to take the test...
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Miss Malevolent
Bitch³

Quote:
Originally posted by malina
this must be a joke!

the questions alone are so offensive that it's impossible to take the test...
Are you joking?

What offensive questions?

Could you paste an example?
Marquise De Merteuil: Women are obliged to be far more skillful than men. You can ruin our reputation and our life with a few well-chosen words...And I've succeeded because I've always known I was born to dominate your sex and avenge my own.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
malina
leaving

this is the first question that came up:

Who do you prefer?

- I prefer Jews over Other people
- I have no preference
- I prefer Other people over Jews

Strongly Moderately Somewhat Slightly Slightly Somewhat Moderately Strongly

Please rate how warm or cold you feel toward the following groups
(0 coldest feelings, 5 neutral feelings, 10 warmest feelings.)
Jews . 10 very warm 9 8 7 6 5 neutral 4 3 2 1 0 very cold Other peoples . 10 very warm 9 8 7 6 5 neutral 4 3 2 1 0 very cold

Please rate your agreement or disagreement with the following statements:

- Because of my personal beliefs and values, I feel that making negative judgments about Jews is wrong.
- I try to hide negative thoughts about Jews to avoid negative reactions from others.
- Jews should not have as much control and power in money matters as they do now.

Last edited by malina : 09-08-2003 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #5
Miss Malevolent
Bitch³

Quote:
this is the first question that came up:

Who do you prefer?

- I prefer Jews over Other people
- I have no preference
- I prefer Other people over Jews

Strongly Moderately Somewhat Slightly Slightly Somewhat Moderately Strongly

Please rate how warm or cold you feel toward the following groups
(0 coldest feelings, 5 neutral feelings, 10 warmest feelings.)
Jews . 10 very warm 9 8 7 6 5 neutral 4 3 2 1 0 very cold Other peoples . 10 very warm 9 8 7 6 5 neutral 4 3 2 1 0 very cold

Please rate your agreement or disagreement with the following statements:

- Because of my personal beliefs and values, I feel that making negative judgments about Jews is wrong.
- I try to hide negative thoughts about Jews to avoid negative reactions from others.
- Jews should not have as much control and power in money matters as they do now.
That is statistical data, those aren't the tests.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:15 PM   #6
catbelly
monkey

Really interesting, Miss M - I think it takes a lot of balls to answer the questions truthfully, though. If a person has a bias, I mean. I think that most people know it's wrong to feel certain ways - for example, many people vehemently deny being racist, because they know that's not socially acceptable, yet they show themselves to be racist through their comments and sentiments. The questions are pretty blunt - do you think a person with a bias would answer honestly (especially if they are expecting to post the results for all to see), or would they insist on labelling their feelings as something other than what they are?
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 03:23 PM   #7
malina
leaving

excuse me, miss m., but the heading for those QUESTIONS is:

"PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS BRIEF SET OF QUESTIONS"

how are those statistics?

i refuse to answer questions of that nature because i find them offensive. i don't even know how many jews/gays ( etc. ) i know, it does not interest me! how can you respond to a question asking you to rate ( RATE! ) certain groups of people?

that's bullshit, no matter how you look at it.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:34 PM   #8
catbelly
monkey

Malina, I am guessing here that you find them offensive because you *aren't* biased

I agree that they could be offensive (I mean, can you imagine someone asking you those questions in casual conversation, e.g. if you were out on a date or something?!), but I don't think they are bullshit. Some people really are in that headspace where they would feel comfy saying, "yes I feel cold towards Jewish people."
Old 09-08-2003, 03:35 PM   #9
azur
over the rainbow!

tests are not offensive - I made few of them and results are quite interesting
azur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 03:40 PM   #10
dinzdale
King of the špatnýs

Why do you have to take a test to find out your own bias?

You already have opinions and social mores and personal preferences, I dont think I'd have to answer a questionaire to find out if I'm the next Stalin, a member of the KKK or someone who thinks euthanasia at 50 is OK......(none of which I subscribe to before some twat answers)...

...and BTW, what does a Jew or gay person look like so I'll be able to know if I dont like them?????
dinzdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 03:40 PM   #11
malina
leaving

i don't find tests generally offensive. this one, however, is especially idiotic since you already have to be a bigot in the first place in order to answer the very first question!

( i give up, i don't know how to express myself any clearer.. )
Old 09-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #12
catbelly
monkey

We could look at it this way ... people who are bigoted know they're not supposed to present themselves that way - it's a social no-no. There's a level of denial. This is the "I'm not racist but ... " people. They realize that something iffy is about to come out of their mouths, so they qualify it.

Cranking the denial up a notch, crazy as it may seem, sometimes people reject that label *altogether* because it is so negative - they aren't able to accept something like that as part of their identity. The only way they become aware that they are biased is when they get a wake up call from an unbiased third party that tells them, yes, your views show a bias, and yes, that's how you present yourself to the world.

IMO that's what this test is best used for.... but as I said in my last post, I don't know that a biased person would be able to take the test honestly.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:01 PM   #13
ambo
feline, naturally

perfectly clear to me, malina
Old 09-08-2003, 06:57 PM   #14
catbelly
monkey

I think I'm clear on miz Malina too, we don't have to be 100% in agreement to be clear, right?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:57 PM   #15
Miss Malevolent
Bitch³

Quote:
i don't find tests generally offensive. this one, however, is especially idiotic since you already have to be a bigot in the first place in order to answer the very first question!

( i give up, i don't know how to express myself any clearer.. )
No actually you could say,

I don't have any feelings towards Jewish people one way or another.

That shows a lack of bias right there.

And that's statistical, they're gauging the stats like, age, income et al right on the page.

The actual tests themselves are visual ones...they check hidden biases.

Quote:
Originally posted by catbelly
Really interesting, Miss M - I think it takes a lot of balls to answer the questions truthfully, though. If a person has a bias, I mean. I think that most people know it's wrong to feel certain ways - for example, many people vehemently deny being racist, because they know that's not socially acceptable, yet they show themselves to be racist through their comments and sentiments. The questions are pretty blunt - do you think a person with a bias would answer honestly (especially if they are expecting to post the results for all to see), or would they insist on labelling their feelings as something other than what they are?
Catbelly I agree people shouldn't be afraid to test themselves and see what they see...and I would hope that they answer truthfully and honestly. (I know I did)

The results could be a complete bullshit...or they could give a little insight into yourself. People shouldn't interpret it as the end all be all.

Also, I think people in this thread are equating biasness with bigotry. That is not always the case.

Unfortunately I was hoping people would start a dialogue on bias and how it affects our world, and not complain about the wording of statistics tests.

Guess this thread will die without any actual response (to the test).

Last edited by Miss Malevolent : 09-08-2003 at 07:02 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: