ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
zenbabe
Lollypop!

SWEET JESUS!!!!

WASHINGTON (AP) - A divided Supreme Court ruled Thursday that local governments may seize people's homes and businesses against their will for private development in a decision anxiously awaited in communities where economic growth often is at war with individual property rights.

Holy Fvck!

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Willow Sylph
monkey

Yikes. That seems so unconstitutional.
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
venusupnorth
I'm leaving tomorrow!

Here in Iceland they have like a 70 year property rights for the owner of a new home, when that runs out though the government can either renew it or take the land back. That story does sound alot like what Bush is accomplishing in office, taking away all the rights Americans can enjoy????

óJeanette Winterson
venusupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Willow Sylph
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusupnorth
Here in Iceland they have like a 70 year property rights for the owner of a new home, when that runs out though the government can either renew it or take the land back. That story does sound alot like what Bush is accomplishing in office, taking away all the rights Americans can enjoy????
They can "take it back?" Do they give the land/property owner some money for that?
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
venusupnorth
I'm leaving tomorrow!

Yes you get the full value of the condition of the home and the fire insurance. People never come out in a minus situation, they take everything into consideration like the kind of floors, bathroom, kitchen and windows you have.
The only reason I know this is because I bought a 50 yr. old apartment a few years ago and checked out the property rights before I signed for it.

At least we have it written legally here in Iceland and know what we're getting into. Those people should get double the value for their homes since they didn't know it was coming

óJeanette Winterson
Old 06-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
zenbabe
Lollypop!

The problem is alot of these homes are waterfront properties that have been in peoples families for generations.

They will never get the full value of their home.

Phizer just won this for the country.

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
bealeblues
where's my salt?

Quote:
New London officials countered that the private development plans served a public purpose of boosting economic growth that outweighed the homeowners' property rights, even if the area wasn't blighted.
this is an interesting expansion on the concept of eminant domain-- private development that serves a public purpose. i don't agree with this at all and i'm surprised at the ruling
Old 06-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Eminent domain.

My private alma mater is incahoots with the city here. The city is condemning my favorite head shop, among other thriving businesses, that refused to sell out when the university offered.

Then the city's going to sell the properties to the university so it can tear them all down and make a visitor-friendly facade.

Pshaw. Love my university, hate their dirty politics.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
venusupnorth
I'm leaving tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbabe
The problem is alot of these homes are waterfront properties that have been in peoples families for generations.

They will never get the full value of their home.

Phizer just won this for the country.
I know it's sad. Talking about Iceland again, we have laws that protect property that is over a hundred years old and in good condition, then it becomes a historical site.

I'm starting to think the sword is double sided when it comes to Americans and their property rights, people will hopefull protest this and get the ruling reversed.

óJeanette Winterson
Old 06-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bealeblues
this is an interesting expansion on the concept of eminant domain-- private development that serves a public purpose. i don't agree with this at all and i'm surprised at the ruling
Yup, here they're doing it under a city directive that provides for "neighborhood revitalization."

See, if the city determines that a neighborhood is indeed in need of revitalization, it can condemn otherwise good, profitable businesses as it sees fit. Then it can use those condemned properties for whatever use it wants, including selling it to OTHER private parties (e.g. a private university).

Everyone here is pretty pissed about it.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
bealeblues
where's my salt?

Quote:
Eminent domain.
oh shut up, i've had a long day. you act like you're studying for the bar exam or something.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #12
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Hey, look, just because you live in a civil law jurisdiction and wouldn't know eminent domain from imminent disaster doesn't mean you can bust my chops, Bealezebub.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #13
bealeblues
where's my salt?

i can bust your chops anytime i want, slacksby, and i won't even begin to sweat over it. so the one time (in HOW LONG?) you find a damn spelling error and you tapdance all over it? don't think i won't be watching everything you even breathe on for the slightest error....
Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #14
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Oh, I'm not worried. My law school was vastly superiour to yours, purple-and-yellow boy.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #15
bealeblues
where's my salt?

Quote:
Oh, I'm not worried. My law school was vastly superiour to yours, purple-and-yellow boy
vastly 'superior', don't you mean? i'm very convinced of that since you can't de-british an elementary word....

and refresh my memory, didn't LSU bitchslap OU last time they played? and for that big crystal football at that?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: