ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

drabble

100 words isn't much.

First person to go can pick their own topic. Then assign one to the next person, if you want.
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:37 AM   #2
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Sybil took the frozen leg of lamb and weighed it thoughtfully in her hands. Her husband's head had hardly made a dent in it but the heavy joint however, had made a fairly spectacular sort of dent. Into the baking tray it went and out went Sybil ostensibly to buy potatoes and fresh green beans. Later, when the police arrived, Sybil was able to provide a good hot dinner - "it will only go to waste gentlemen". And as the police pondered the absence of an obvious murder weapon one was heard to remark, "it's probably right under our very noses".

Next topic:

Family Christmas
Old 12-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

It was noon and Meredith was drunk already. Fifteen members of her immediate family were about to land chez Hume house, and her husband had fvcked off to God knows where. The half empty bottle of red wine sitting on the kitchen counter was testament to the fact that she dreaded the holiday season. She'd toyed with the idea of just hiding out in her house, lights off, when the relatives came a knockin', but she knew they'd make so much noise and fuss that she'd be mortified and eventually let them in, afraid of what the neighbours would think.

Next topic: A new car

(this was very hard, still not satisfied with it because I don't think it fits the definition you linked. great exercise Trish)
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

(harder than it looks!)

He stepped out the front door and had time to note that the air smelled like snow before the mirror finish blue paint caught his eye. Stopping dead in his tracks, the weight in his jacket pocket registered and he reached for the keys that he knew must be there. "335i" was etched on the fob, and a small white tag attached read only, "Stay."

For a moment he let himself imagine the feel of the seat and the shift knob and the horsepower building. Then he opened the door again and laid the keys on the foyer tile, gently.

Next topic: underground

Last edited by trisherina : 12-04-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
zero
ª ★ ª

everything would vanish in the snow, crow bones and fists of coal and plastic dolls left out in front gardens, red mouthed and naked. they shovelled and swept the paths but they melted away in the night. cars stood buried and dumbstruck on strachan brae. we might as well be lost they said; but i felt the neighbours dreaming in the darkness and i watched them wrapped in black overcoats and gloves: careful, narrow-handed souls, become the creatures of a sudden daylight, amazed at how mysterious they were on those winter sunday mornings in the pit town of north bantaskine.

next topic: markings
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:41 AM   #6
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Once she knew how to read them, she couldn't stop seeing them in people. The lines that meant anger and the ones that meant lies, and the ones that just meant something was going sick inside. She saw the lurid vision behind the cant of an eye or the wish hidden in a muscle's twitch. It got harder over time to pretend she wasn't seeing them, and she got tired, and sloppy. When they started saying, "I know you," she'd resist for a while, but soon her own gaze would start drifting, and she'd know she was beaten, and go.

Next topic: remedy
Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
suspensions of taste, and convention were required. perhaps genius in some form, surely a clear and stoic sanity or the lack of one. so many years ago, one dire sibling or the other might have cornered him there in his room with a hard word, or even a friend could have burned him a new shame inside. but that great talent in him had first swollen and then burst, and had washed away all inner and outer impediment. and now, with only the warm sea of his own possible selves sitting as his audience, he went out all in purple

next: beeping
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:34 AM   #8
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

There was a scratching, and a beeping, and the first thought was that the headphones were crap, but it was the long sweep of an earring rather than interrupted current making the skritch, and the beep was a fire engine backing up, making her pick up the pace across its path until she was aware of the loping bouncing gait, the dogged stride of the man who rides mostly shank’s mare and the bus, the slack shoulders and feet barely clearing the pavement, the wrong side’s tread that she lapsed into like a childhood accent whenever she was caught unawares.

Next: easy
Old 10-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
He eased in through the door as if to stay
Unnoticed for a moment while he took
A count of those who interested him.
He chose, and glided on – but gave away
No chance to take another angling look
At her, or slide a glance around through dim
And hiding light for any other mark.

She liked the way he looked -- and crunched her ice
And licked her lips. She nodded to entice
Him toward her through the shallows of the dark.

Each one thinks the other easy prey –
And in that light and depth, well, who can say?

Next: Beethoven
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Now they wonder if it is even too cruel, and they wonder if it is even too ironic, given all the latitude that must be granted a merciful God. And they ask themselves the questions to which only such a merciful God, secure enough of himself, seeks no answers. But he does not hear their whispered heresies, or their winter coughs, their crashing spills and grating scrapes, their curses over stubbed toes, their idle gossip in the stairway. He hears now only what he chooses to see, or to imagine, and it is perfectly played, and he is not ungrateful.

next: the changes you made
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM   #11
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

There were really only two of note, and they were all twined up together in the way that everything is bound together if you will only look: the stone ripples the smooth surface of the water and even when it seems as though the energy has been absorbed by the shore, it still warms the sand just enough that if you are there and paying close attention, you will notice a difference. They were the marriage and the career, and he squats next to the pond with flat eyes taking it all in, slimy rump leeching the faint heat beneath.

Next: owl
Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 AM   #12
Anna
n

determined

This was it, he had tried before and failed. Oh, sure there were minor set backs, but that was expected. Yet, some how then never really seemed quite right. “This time it’s going to work, I know the direction and path, but perhaps the that past was just about now, maybe this isn’t what it seems to be, could this really be it?” He thought, “or am I fooling myself once again. Am I the fool?” No time to think of that now must move ahead, put aside all doubts, do what ever needs to be done to succeed.

Next Topic: water
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 AM   #13
Bman
monkey

Inevitable

Legend has it that there used to be a time when we did not know if there was life after death. Now we know. There is no life and no death. All is and nothing is not. Conscience is an immutable property of all that is. We suspect that the entire universe is now so dense and unstable that it will collapse back in to singularity. But just before that, all consciousness will coalesce and understand that there is no beginning and no end. Finally we have been reunited in this husk of a once vast universe. Finally, the inevitable.

Awkward
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
Angry Kid Hoyt
How long was I asleep?

Awkward

When we talk it becomes awkward and the silence returns.
The awkward silence…
What is there to say, really?
I want to ask you if you feel as weird about it as I do.
The whole situation seems like a really bad comedy skit.
It is pretty funny if you think about it, right?
Both kinds of funny…
The kind that makes you chuckle to yourself and shake your head…
And the other kind that makes you shake your head and go “well, hmmm, when did I get that pierced??”
I guess its good that you’re leaving for London tonight.

Paste
Angry Kid Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

He was very scared but they didn’t seem to understand that and kept frowning at him. It was probably because he had been friendly to their friendly and they thought he wouldn’t be scared after that, but he was scared all the time, it was a fact of him like having brown hair that stuck up in the back. If he stuck to his mother like his hand and hers had sticky tack on them like they used to hang up drawings, he was less scared. But they said she had to go and leave him there. NO! He screamed.

Next: doubtful

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: