ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2003, 07:00 PM   #1
fodder

this is dumb, but

in relationships, is it possible for two people to ever be equally as needy and receptive and reinforcing/validating, or is it always one person who is needy and the other is backing away and the roles switch, etc

or, is there anyway to get past inevitable unconscious power struggles in marriages/relationships/friendships

(even tho the latter is part of 'relationships' i just wanted to specify-- if the power struggle isnt inevitable in friendships then why not and how is that different, etc)
Old 10-20-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
Antimatter

tit fo' tat
Old 10-20-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
fodder

get out
Old 10-20-2003, 07:14 PM   #4
catbelly
monkey

I don't think it's dumb at all, it's a major issue in any relationship IMO.

As a starter... I think that power is different from being the giver/taker in a relationship. A giver can be in the power position by withholding or controlling what he/she gives ... the taker can be in the power position by forcing the other person to give through various tactics.

I think there is a natural ebb and flow in relationships, ideally it all balances out in the end. When it doesn't balance out I think it's unhealthy.

Re: romantic relationships vs. friendships where power is concerned, I don't think friendships are as prone to the struggle simply because with a friend your life isn't as "married" to the other person's so if you want different things it's not such a big deal. You know? It's pretty rare that you would make life decisions based on how they would affect someone who is not a part of your family (the way a spouse is).

What do you think, fodder?
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
Antimatter

oh sorry, i'll let fatbelly and the other geniuses field this one

edit: hey look she already did
Old 10-20-2003, 07:18 PM   #6
catbelly
monkey

I'm trying out the "ignore" function, it's kind of cool - you can see that someone has posted, but instead of seeing their post, you see a message that says "this person is on your ignore list" and it gives you a link in case you want to see their post after all. I like it!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:19 PM   #7
Antimatter

http://hometown.aol.com/RickG15/belly.jpg
Old 10-20-2003, 09:12 PM   #8
catbelly
monkey

Fodder fodder bo bodder banana fanna fo fodder me mi mo modder, FODDER

OK lady you are the queen of starting threads and then screwing off! Come back here and participate in your discussion, dammit
Old 10-20-2003, 09:18 PM   #9
fodder

i am curious about you, not mahself
Old 10-20-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
catbelly
monkey

Yes, but conversation should go both ways, no? Sort of like the relationships we are talking about? Both people have to give, not just take take take take or everything comes to a standstill and soon you're eating TV dinners all by yourself with you 30 cats and wondering where things went wrong? COME BACK TO ME FODDER, COME BAAAACK

Old 10-20-2003, 10:21 PM   #11
Antimatter

YEAH FODDER ALL YOU DO IS TAKE TAKE TAKE
Old 10-20-2003, 10:23 PM   #12
catbelly
monkey

Yes fodder, follow NYC's example and answer your own questions! Er... you do that, right Peg?

Edited to add, I am experimenting with blocking antimatter for the moment so I will have to trust in everyone's judgement that you all know that what I'm posting is not influenced by what he's saying. Thankee

Last edited by catbelly : 10-20-2003 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #13
fodder

fine, fine

i think it's very rare that two equally needy people find eachother and both maintain equal neediness throughout the relationship

i think it's generally true that one person is needy when the other is backing away, the roles of each person always changing, so there's always that balance

i think maybe the only time it can be equal is after some event that equally affects both people: a death, doing drugs, making up after a fight, having sex, both winning something, etc. either way, only a temporary feeling of unity can make it completely even, otherwise one person is always up and the other is down, vice versa

do you agree/disagree/how do you feel about that/how has it or does it affect you?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:03 PM   #14
Antimatter

it also depends on how those types of feelings are dealt with

feelings of neediness or insecurity can bring about unity if the insecure one goes to the secure one with the issue and the secure one is understanding and such (excuse the corny sounding talk)

however, if moderate to extreme security/insecurity is dealt w/in a manner that's destructive to the relationship it's obviously gonna be bad

just a matter of selfishness/ego levels, it seems

point being that inequal levels of power are only a problem with people who deeply care about their power level (i.e. a person with a fat ego in regards to the opposite sex, or a person who likes to be always dominant/submissive)
Old 10-20-2003, 11:05 PM   #15
fodder

yeah, very well put

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: