ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2003, 01:45 PM   #46
catbelly
monkey

Hey Rob, where are you in the US again? I'm thinking of Miami right now, where it's possible to get your drivers' license test etc. done in Spanish.

I see what you're saying, English is the default language - in Canada, it's mostly the same even though technically we're bilingual French/English. But, say, if you were in ... well, I'll use Miami again ... and you were surrounded by people speaking Spanish, how would you feel?

And, how do you feel when you are in another country and the locals are speaking English? Does it feel like an extension of the US to you, in that case?
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:11 PM   #47
rapscalious rob

Iím in the Schwarzenegger state, California. A lot of people here speak Spanish. I myself speak Spanish, though. I donít speak it fluently, but I can hold a stilted conversation better than most gabachos. In the bigger cities there are whole sections with businesses, etc, that are all en espaŮol.

Again, there are also sections of LA and San Francisco that are Chinese or Korean. I donít speak a word of either, except shay shay, which means thank you in Mandarin Chinese. Going into Chinatown or Koreatown or Japantown has sort of a feeling of being in a different country: I canít read any of the signs, and the food/products are very different. Once, in Chinatown in San Francisco, I saw an armadillo for sale.

By virtue of the dynamics of the dominant culture, everyone speaks English as well. And the roadsigns, parking signs, etc. are in English, so it isnít the same.

Quote:
And, how do you feel when you are in another country and the locals are speaking English? Does it feel like an extension of the US to you, in that case?

There are usually aspects of the language that are different: different colloquilisms, different pronunciations, etc. Plus thereís ubiquitous evidence of the adoption of the metric systemÖ language is just one indicator. It just happens to be an important one for me.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:44 PM   #48
catbelly
monkey

It's funny for both the US and Canada re: the English language, because the countries are so big - would you agree? For instance the different slang, accents, etc. that you might find in a different country might be less different than slang and accents within your own country. IMO California and British Columbia, Canada are more similar than California and Arkansas - or BC and Newfoundland.

So... would you consider Chinatown, Japantown, Koreatown, the Spanish-speaking areas of the city as being contributors to your culture? *small explanatory disclaimer* I'm not trying to trap you into a race/ethnicity debate or anything, I'm truly curious about how you perceive your culture - all driven by my hubby's feelings re: being in another country in Montreal. From the time I was tiny and watching Sesame Street, I've taken it as a fact that Canada is bilingual, so to hear him say that was really strange for me.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:08 PM   #49
rapscalious rob

Quote:
So... would you consider Chinatown, Japantown, Koreatown, the Spanish-speaking areas of the city as being contributors to your culture?
Absolutely, theyíre contributers! My dad used to play Majong with the neighborhood kids in Chinatown. Everytime I go to LA or San Francisco, I try to make a stop in Chinatown. Sometimes I pick up some cha su bao, a bbq pork bun. When I lived in Long Beach, I would always attend the Chinese New Years festival, with the giant paper dragon being paraded along the street.

As for the others, yeah, theyíre important, too. I havenít spent much time in Japantown or Koreatown or the barrios, so I donít have as much to say about them.

Itís a patchwork quilt. Weíre different, but weíre all interconnected in the patterns and networks that make everything run. What affects any of us affects all of us. Itís something that a lot of people tend to forget, unfortunately.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #50
catbelly
monkey

Yah I agree - I really like the way you worded that. It drives me kind of crazy when people talk about Canada or the US as ... oh, I don't know. Being monocultural, with unspoken bit being that European / British is the default monoculture, and everyone else is a "foreigner." Things are so different now. I know it makes a lot of people uncomfortable, but ... ? For me it is a fact of life.

So tell me, do you eat the red bean paste buns too? Yum!
Old 10-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #51
rapscalious rob

I havenít tried them, but Iíve gazed at them with some interest.
With your recommendation, the next time Iím in the big city, Iíll try to remember to sample one.

Tell me, which do you prefer? Steamed or baked?
Old 10-17-2003, 09:16 PM   #52
catbelly
monkey

Oh god I eat everything!! I like both types of buns - I like the steamed ones for savoury fillings, the baked ones for both sweet and savoury. I tried making steamed chicken bao at home once, cheated and used frozen pizza dough. I put them in the steamer and I was so encouraged - they puffed up and looked just like in the shop - but when I took them out they deflated and shrivelled up and looked like little disembodied brains. They were really tasty, but boy. Ugly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: