ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #346
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

What was the last book you read for fun?
You can offer a little review or synopsis if you'd like...
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #347
T.I.P.
balancing actor

right now i'm reading The Sound And The Fury by William Faulkner

it was excrutiatingly painful to get into - i think it took me 3 weeks
to read the first chapter, and I had to alternate with Pratchett books
in between paragraphs just to maintain the memory that reading
is, in fact, fun.

Now that i've reached the final pages of the book it has become an
incredible page turner; it's like i can smell hear see touch taste
everything going on in the book, and I'm there alongside Jason
Compson, urging him on, encouraging him to step on the gas
in his collision course with the terrible DOOM that he has so skillfully
crafted for himself using all the pride and hatred and bigotry that he
could muster, and yet I can't help but feel sorry for him and feel
a sort of kinship with him because who says I wouldn't have become
him in similar circumstances, what gives me the right to judge him ?
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #348
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

Mmh, that would have been re-reading the Sin City comics by Frank Miller and before that My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (his best book so far imo!).
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #349
auntie aubrey
excursions

"bangkok 8" by john burdett

it was a moderately enjoyable read, aside from a staggeringly slow section about a third of the way in. i had a difficult time getting my head around the idea that the author is a white american, writing in first person from the perspective of a native-born thai who expresses opinions about his culture in contrast to the rest of the world. i felt a little bit like, who do you think you are speaking for the thai people? i had a similar problem with "memoirs of a geisha" so i think that's just me.

also, towards the end a plot twist shows up that made me think john burdett had a checklist of thai stereotypes that he was running through and as he was trying to wrap things up he suddenly realized he'd forgotten one. and had to scramble to fit it in.

hmm. this review sounds like i didn't like it. it's not that i didn't like it. it's that i've liked so many other books so much more.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #350
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Technically, the last book I read for fun was Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants. There's a character in it named Chuckles Jingleberry McMonkeyburger, Jr. What's not to love?

However, the last book I read to myself silently in my own head was The Path to the Spiders' Nests, by Italo Calvino. It's an odd little read. The main character is a child, named Pin, who is in a kind of developmental limbo between other children and the adults who are around him, most of whom are Partisans in WWII Italy. Pin steals a gun from a Nazi, and his thoughts become preoccupied with it...the title is from the hiding place he chooses for the gun. In a way, it reminded me of Huck Finn -- it's a boy's take on a complex socio-political situation. He's still something of an innocent and can't really understand most of what's going on around him, yet he's near enough to the brink to become embroiled in it.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #351
auntie aubrey
excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightpearl View Post
Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants
that's a good one. i'm woman enough to admit that i'm a fan.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #352
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^perhaps you would like to play booger tetris
Old 10-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #353
Frieda
in limbo

does the ikea guide count as book?

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #354
Tunesmith
click click click

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie aubrey View Post
auntie, I just started that couple of days ago, but I'm not far enough into it to have a feel for the novel. I'm guessing that I haven't reached the slow section yet, since Pichai's (spelled?) drive-by-snaking has done nothing short of drive the main character across the city.

Right now, I'm reading around 15 books, but the only one which I can commit to nightly is Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov. I have the annotated version, which analyzes nearly every metaphor, allusion, or quotation, and features quotes from interviews with Nabokov. If you take the time to flip back and forth between the novel and the notes, and really savor each sentence, it's an entirely different experience than if you breeze through each chapter.
Tunesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #355
Tunesmith
click click click

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightpearl View Post
However, the last book I read to myself silently in my own head was The Path to the Spiders' Nests, by Italo Calvino. It's an odd little read. The main character is a child, named Pin, who is in a kind of developmental limbo between other children and the adults who are around him, most of whom are Partisans in WWII Italy. Pin steals a gun from a Nazi, and his thoughts become preoccupied with it...the title is from the hiding place he chooses for the gun. In a way, it reminded me of Huck Finn -- it's a boy's take on a complex socio-political situation. He's still something of an innocent and can't really understand most of what's going on around him, yet he's near enough to the brink to become embroiled in it.
That sounds amazing...I just finished Calvino's Invisible Cities, which was one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Does The Path have the same flowing prose that comes from great Italian translations?
Tunesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #356
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
does the ikea guide count as book?
Well, it's certainly riveting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunesmith View Post
That sounds amazing...I just finished Calvino's Invisible Cities, which was one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Does The Path have the same flowing prose that comes from great Italian translations?
That's one of the reasons I thought it was odd. I'm not sure whether it was the translation or the original, but I thought it had a kind of split personality in terms of the flowing prose thing. Parts of it definitely, definitely flow, with such a particular character that you can almost tell it was originally written in Italian or Spanish. Other parts, particularly the dialog, seem a little stilted. It didn't bother me much, however, because the dialog is largely appropriate given Pin's age. By the time I finished it, I came to think that the juxtaposition improved the book. But it is odd.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #357
zero

LOGISCH-PHILOSOPHISCHE ABHANDLUNG!!!!

i breezed through TRACTATUS LOGICO-PHILOSOPHICUS by ludwig wittgenstein (in both the english AND the original german) on the train this morning JUST FOR FUN. hahahaha! yeh, EASY hooray for me! i understood all of it and will be putting it into practice starting tomorrow.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #358
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^If you enjoyed that, I'm certain you would enjoy Captain Underpants. He's heavily into the picture theory of propositions.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #359
lukkucairi
earth worker

I'm halfway through the Age of Turbulence by Alan Greenspan.

it's actually very good
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #360
auntie aubrey
excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunesmith View Post
auntie, I just started that couple of days ago, but I'm not far enough into it to have a feel for the novel. I'm guessing that I haven't reached the slow section yet, since Pichai's (spelled?) drive-by-snaking has done nothing short of drive the main character across the city.
it's not a large slow section, and you may not even interpret it as slow. it's around the time that pichai meets up with the americans (soon thereafter). that's a bit of information revealed on the book jacket so hopefully you don't consider it a spoiler.

it wasn't a major slowdown but it hadn't really hooked me yet, so even a little slowdown was a little disappointing.

there was an element of the book that made me think "douglas coupland relocates from vancouver to thailand." if you read any douglas coupland, you might pick up on that element, too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: