ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
JesusTitties

Just a Thought

I sometimes like to think that everything happens for a reason, and then i sometimes sway the other way - that we are all scientific lifeforms that have evolved and are headed for an uncertain future.
One single life really is not that significant, i once heard it described as a mustard burp - momentarily tangy but then vanished in the breeze.

Nevertheless, with this natural tragedy occuring recently and a death toll reaching well over 100,000 people from thailand to sri lanka - i cant help but feel there may be some devine intervention behind this. Im not necessarily talking religion, be it as it may - however a lot of the countries that got hit so hard just so happen to be very poor and widely overpopulated. With all that is happening to the 'future of our planet' in the next 50-100 years, i find it difficult to not have it in the back of my mind that there may be some sort of a Darwinian Theory taking place.

I lived in thailand for a long time, and one of my favorite places was Ko PhiPhi which also got hit very hard, its only a small island. Although the tourism was high, the people were so poor. With my experiences first hand with the poverty and the way of life in and around the area.....again, i couldnt help but think when reading over the digits and regions hit that there is some sort of higher cleansing at work.

I shed tears for all those involved in such a horrible nightmare. But i wonder if this is also a shapeshifter in evolution for mankind.

Last edited by JesusTitties : 12-31-2004 at 01:09 PM.
JesusTitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
JT -- You might keep in mind that if such a thing were to occur in the Pacific Ocean, the tsunami warning system that's been in place for some time here would kick in for any Pacific Rim nation that is in danger.

No such system exists in the Indian Ocean. Geologists and seismologists, while still not adept at predicting quakes, are very clear on the dynamics of tsunamis, and nearly all those interviewed in the aftermath of this disaster say that had a Pacific-type warning system been in place, there could have been no deaths nearly everywhere except in those areas of Sumatra immediately adjacent to the quake's epicenter. (HOURS passed before the waves hit India and Sri Lanka.)

Poverty just ain't good for survival, and that injustice is not limited to food and shelter; it also applies to protection from "divine intervention."

Education is a part of it too. Living in San Francisco, I (and I bet you, too, because you live/d in Japan) know that when the ocean recedes dramatically from the shore, you head for higher ground -- fast. In Asia this week, there were many reports of people running down to the beach to see what was going on, because the sea receded so far and so fast that thousands of fish were left stranded on land below the normal tide mark, and the novelty of it attracted thousands who didn't know better.

Just imagine if this had happened way off shore in the Pacific. The chances are that the death toll would be insignificant. But in the poor countries that ring the Indian Ocean, the very same tragedy is possible during the next big quake, which historically have taken place in pairs there less than 30 years apart.

Developed countries have such great advantages in these areas! Look at the Mexico City quake or others in South America, where tens of thousand of people died and cities were devastated, but in San Francisco's big 1989 quake, only a handful died. Even the terrible toll of 5,000 who died in Kobe Japan's quake seems low when one looks at the particulars of the quake and its destructive power. I shudder to think what the results of a similar quake qould have been in a poor, undeveloped country.

It never occurred to me that this was divine intervention -- this is a disaster that man through science knew was coming someday (the world's surface is not sitting still, anywhere) and it was well in man's power to protect itself, at least enough to lessen the tragedy dramatically. Natural phenomenon and human neglect is the culprit here.

And said to say, it can happen again (and probably will).

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusTitties
I sometimes like to think that everything happens for a reason,
It does. Only we don't have to know the reason.
Quote:
I lived in thailand for a long time,
When I heard, I was grateful that you no longer live there.

I can't get my mind around this one.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
JesusTitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants
It never occurred to me that this was divine intervention -- this is a disaster that man through science knew was coming someday (the world's surface is not sitting still, anywhere) and it was well in man's power to protect itself, at least enough to lessen the tragedy dramatically. Natural phenomenon and human neglect is the culprit here.
is this not a form of evolution in itself? Human neglect, a massive transformation in the population....i think you hit the nail on the head of exactly what im trying to say.

its only a thought to entertain, but it certainly is a valid point that perhaps theres more to it than bad luck of the draw and logistics of where you live.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:44 PM   #5
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

I have thought about it as well.
In ecology we were taught that any population expanding limitlessly will eventually have large portions of that population removed by disease, and events which are naturally catastophic to that population. It is partly due to the concentration of individuals in areas where catastrophic events occur, but also because of the nature of nature. Any population will expand and contract in numbers.

It is no less a tragedy due to the fact that it is a natural occurance. I am still humbled by the fact that each of the 150,000 was a human being just like me.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:01 PM   #6
JesusTitties

i like the term nature of nature.

...i like to think that if you think outside the box, so to speak, that the 'nature of nature' is in fact the evolution. Its happening for a reason. Malaria (sp?) and AIDS, smallpox, all of these diseases have wiped out massive scores of human beings. Natural disasters too.
If a meteor really did wipe out the dinosaurs (if that theory were to be true) one could say that it was inevitable with how the solar system as logistically planned out... and the path the earth was in at the time.
But science aside, things like this could be happening for a reason. Bumps in the road.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #7
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

"Towards the south there will be a great drought. An earthquake will be reported from the bottom of Asia (India) Corinth (Greece) and Ephesus (Asia Minor) in an unstable and troubled state (when) Mars, Mercury and the Moon are in conjunction."

Nostradamus
Old 01-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
JesusTitties

Old 01-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
Large Marge
monkey

I'm more worried about the manmade stuff.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9701/15/nuclea...shelter.43.mov
http://www.cnn.com/US/9701/15/nuclea...i.atoll.35.mov
http://www.cnn.com/US/9701/15/nuclea...ro.bomb.32.mov
www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/560882/posts
Old 01-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
Avalon

Before and after..Indonesia and Sri Lanka

Go to WWW.digitalglobe.com/tsunami_gallery.html

The photos are of the land damage. It is beyond belief.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Avalon : 01-01-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #11
JesusTitties

i met someone last night at the bar, whos background was indonesian.. i know, because i asked her. I said do you have any family back home still, she said no why?
Im like well with the whole disaster thing...

shes like um... yeah its a beautiful country..
im like yeah, but i mean, you know.. the dying and whatnot..

shes like yeah um.. what do you mean?

im like THE ****ING TSUNAMI YOU IDIOT

shes like Oooo when was that?

christ.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #12
Large Marge
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusTitties
i met someone last night at the bar, whos background was indonesian.. i know, because i asked her. I said do you have any family back home still, she said no why?
Im like well with the whole disaster thing...

shes like um... yeah its a beautiful country..
im like yeah, but i mean, you know.. the dying and whatnot..

shes like yeah um.. what do you mean?

im like THE ****ING TSUNAMI YOU IDIOT

shes like Oooo when was that?

christ.
Imagine that, a dumb girl in a bar on New Year's.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #13
JesusTitties

yeah wierd
Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #14
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Anyway, so after I farked her..........
Old 01-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #15
Large Marge
monkey

Quote: