ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Et Cetera
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #91
Frieda
in limbo

i need a word that describes the phenomenon of saying "ooh, i'm going to watch that movie on tv tonight!" and being all excited that it's going to be on, while you actually have that particular movie in your posession on dvd. for years.

you know? is there a word for that?

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #92
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

^livewatchnetic
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #93
T.I.P.
balancing actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
i need a word that describes the phenomenon of saying "ooh, i'm going to watch that movie on tv tonight!" and being all excited that it's going to be on, while you actually have that particular movie in your posession on dvd. for years.

you know? is there a word for that?
amnesia ?
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 AM   #94
T.I.P.
balancing actor

"bob's your uncle"

"bob's your uncle" is a funny little expression, meaning "there you go"

To make the chicken potpie, just take it out of the wrapper, put it in the microwave for 2 minutes, and bob's your uncle.

I'm curious about the origins of that expression..anybody know ? And yes, i am too lazy to STFW.
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #95
lukkucairi
earth worker

^ no idea, and I'm too lazy to STFW either

I need a word for very vehemently not giving a shit about something.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #96
Stephi_B

^wurscht-egal-ig
(the sausaged comparison of not giving a shit, or so )

Looking at the calendar (5.5.) Schnapszahl comes to my mind, which is the word for a multidigit number, where all digits are the same.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #97
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^^^Here's what word-detective.com says about avuncular Bob:

"Bob's your uncle" is a way of saying "you're all set" or "you've got it made." It's a catch phrase dating back to 1887, when British Prime Minister Robert Cecil (a.k.a. Lord Salisbury) decided to appoint a certain Arthur Balfour to the prestigious and sensitive post of Chief Secretary for Ireland. Not lost on the British public was the fact that Lord Salisbury just happened to be better known to Arthur Balfour as "Uncle Bob." In the resulting furor over what was seen as an act of blatant nepotism, "Bob's your uncle" became a popular sarcastic comment applied to any situation where the outcome was preordained by favoritism. As the scandal faded in public memory, the phrase lost its edge and became just a synonym for "no problem."

Sounds plausible. I always thought it was Cockney slang, but didn't know what the analogous rhyming phrase was...

About lukku's word...I like "plegmatic" to mean apathetic, but I'm not sure it has that vehement overtone. I agree that's a word we need!
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #98
Frieda
in limbo

is there a similar expression in english for

"een dag niet gelachen is een dag niet geleefd"

which means something like a day not having laughed is a day not having lived? or been alive or something?

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #99
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

I can't think of a proverb like that, but there's a quote from Charlie Chaplin that you hear from time to time...
"A day without laughter is a day wasted."
Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #100
monkeyknifightz

a word that expresses the feeling that spreads like lightening across your body as you lay with your lover after a good long shag
monkeyknifightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #101
magdalen
OOwdevie

a word to describe the noise boring people make
magdalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #102
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Toujours Tingo: Weird words and bizarre phrases

Toujours Tingo, a book by Adam Jacot de Boinod, lists weird words and bizarre phrases from around the world. The "tingo" of its title is an Easter Island word, meaning to borrow objects from a friend's house one by one until there are none left.

Last Updated: 10:04AM GMT 18 Dec 2008

Gwarlingo: Welsh description of the sound of a grandfather clock before it strikes.

Pisan zapra: Malay for the time needed to eat a banana.

Layogenic: Filipino for someone good-looking from afar but ugly up close.

Mouton enragé : French for someone calm who loses their temper - literally, "an enraged sheep".

Kati-kehari: Hindi meaning to have the waist of an elegant lion.

Yupienalle: Swedish for a mobile phone - literally, "yuppie teddy" like a security blanket.

Ikibari: Japanese, a "lively needle" and describing a man who is willing but under-endowed.

Tantenverführer: German for a young man with suspiciously good manners.

Fensterln: German for climbing through a window to avoid someone's parents so you can have sex without them knowing.

Stroitel: Russian for a man who likes to have sex with two women at the same time.

Okuri-okami: Japanese for a man who feigns thoughtfulness by offering to see a girl home only to try to molest her once he gets in the door - literally, a "see-you-home wolf"

Trennungsagentur: German for someone hired by a woman to tell her boyfriend he has been dumped.

Momma ko ene: Cheyenne for having red eyes from crying over your boyfriend marrying someone else.

Kanjus Makkhichus: Hindi description of someone so tight that if a fly falls into their tea they'll fish it out and suck it dry before throwing it away.

Tlazlimquiztli: Aztec for the smell of adulterers.

Nosom Para Oblake: Serbian for "he is ripping clouds with his nose", describing someone conceited.

Traer la lengua de corbata: Latin American Spanish for to be exhausted - literally, to have your tongue hanging out like a man's tie

Sjostygg: Norwegian for someone so ugly the tide refuses to come in if they stand on the shore.

Lolo: Hawaiian for someone who would gladly give you the time if only they could read a clock.

Lalew: Filipino word meaning to grieve so much you can't eat.

Nito-onna: Japanese for a woman so dedicated to her career that she has no time to iron blouses and so resorts to dressing only in knitted tops.

Buaya darat: Indonesian for a man who fools women into thinking he's a very faithful lover when in fact he goes out with many different women at the same time - literally, a land crocodile

Chantepleurer: French for singing at the same time as crying.

Hira hira: Japanese for the fear you get from walking into a decrepit old house in the middle of the night.

Les avoir a zero: French for "to have one's testicles down to zero", or be frightened.

Du kannst mir gern den buckel runterrutschen und mit der zunge bremsen: Austrian for "go to hell" – literally "You can slide down my hunchback using your tongue as a brake".
Old 12-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #103
Stephi_B

Sternschnuppe

for it's a cute word

Old 12-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #104
lukkucairi
earth worker

I need a word to describe the sudden turning-inside-out of your life, and the odd relief that comes from it.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:59 AM   #105
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

maturation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: