Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Let's dine nekkid~~ who's hungry?

Nudists dine in New York style
Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:29 PM GMT

By Claudia Parsons

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The diners arrived at a nice Manhattan restaurant on a cold February night and stripped off coats, hats, gloves and scarves. They didn't stop there.

Skirts, shirts, pants, underwear and stockings all ended up stashed in plastic bags by the bar as the patrons got naked for the monthly "Clothing Optional Dinner."

"It's exciting to be in a restaurant nude," said George Keyes, 65, a retired junior high school English teacher.

Nude yes, but not unadorned.

Keyes, a lifelong nudist, wore a necklace, earrings and a black leather "genital bracelet" with red studs. And white sneakers.

The dinner was started by a group of New York nudists who wanted something a bit more elegant than the wilderness getaways and beach resorts they generally frequent.

"When you go away on holiday it's more you're roughing it in the woods, whereas this is a really nice restaurant," said Keyes, a member of gay nudist group Males Au Naturel, or MAN.

John Ordover set up the dining club about a year ago, recruiting members through word of mouth and the Internet.

"Next month is our Easter bonnet event, where everybody has to come wearing an Easter bonnet," said Ordover, a heavyset man with a jovial smile and glasses.

SOMETHING TO SIT ON ...

Around 30 people arrived for the buffet dinner -- organizers specified no hot soup on the menu -- most of them middle-aged, several married couples, some singles, the youngest perhaps in their 30s.

"They're a good class of people, they're no different to you or I," said John Bussi, owner of the midtown restaurant. "They're not hurting anybody, it's not a wild Roman orgy."

Health regulations mean staff must remain clothed even if they wanted to join in. And diners must bring something to sit on -- a towel or, for discerning women, an elegant silk scarf.

The restaurant's manager covered the windows to maintain privacy at the strictly private party. Extra heaters kept the temperature at a comfortable level for nudity.

Ordover's wife, Carol, said they first went on a naturist holiday five years ago and she found the experience empowering. But, she explained, it's "the least sexual thing you can possibly imagine."

"Men in nudist resorts are striking a bargain. They get to see as many naked women as they like as long as they are polite and look them straight in the eye," she said.

Sherry Stafford, a petite and elegant 51-year-old with blond hair and high heels, brought brochures and videos advertising her travel business, Internaturally Travel.

One of the flyers was for a resort called "Hedonism II" whose slogan is "Be wicked for a week." But she said nudists should not be confused with swingers.

"Wearing clothes and going to church does not protect you from moral evil," Stafford said, lamenting what she saw as a tendency to demonize people just because they like to be naked.

Sandy, a slim woman in her 40s, said she never felt self-conscious about her body and was comfortable dining in the nude. But she did admit to being a bit more nervous before a recent naked yoga class attended by around 25 people.

"Everyone was a little concerned there would be people looking around but the good thing is nobody really was," she said, standing at the restaurant's bar before dinner.

"If you try to maintain a yoga position you're going to fall if you start looking around -- and that's more embarrassing than anything else."

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Why is it always a bunch of people you'd never want to see nekkid are the nudists? They always look like Aunt Judy & Uncle Ray.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:21 AM   #3
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbabe
And diners must bring something to sit on -- a towel or, for discerning women, an elegant silk scarf.
Okay, that answers the first thing that popped into my head when I started reading this article.

I'm all for being comfortable with your body, but ew.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:02 AM   #4
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

The guy's a nudist and he's wearing a wristwatch. Just exactly what the hell is that supposed to represent freedom from, anyway?

-- trisherina
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:38 AM   #5
Nesnora
art slave

does is have to be an elegant silk scarf?

Or perhaps a shawl. Would a shawl seem whorish? or maybe a lovely pink chiffon wrap.

I love the fact the focus is on women in the article, specifically using adjectives like "elegant". Like women are automatically whores if naked, and they have to inform us of the opposite.

but they have elegant silk scarves!
Old 02-20-2005, 03:42 AM   #6
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

Well no wonder she likes to be nude. Her bra was too tight and it left a nasty red mark. Maybe she needs someone to help her shop for clothes.

I want a jammie restaurant! I want to go and dine on fine foods and have quality service while wearing a t-shirt, flannels and slippers. Then I don't even have to bring an elegant scarf.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:50 AM   #7
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite

I want a jammie restaurant! I want to go and dine on fine foods and have quality service while wearing a t-shirt, flannels and slippers. Then I don't even have to bring an elegant scarf.

Oh, HELL yeah. I'd go there! What a great idea!

-- trisherina
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:10 AM   #8
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Quote:
Well no wonder she likes to be nude. Her bra was too tight and it left a nasty red mark. Maybe she needs someone to help her shop for clothes.

Denny's

*ahem*

-Dr. Seuss
Old 02-20-2005, 04:43 AM   #9
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Quote:
Around these parts, that's called 742-DINE. Call them and they will deliver from any restaurant in town, right to your door.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:47 AM   #10
zenbabe
Lollypop!

you know that thing with bringing an elegant scarf or something.....I wonder if they are prepared for people that forget to bring something and just bust out with those disposable toilet seat covers that they have in public restrooms....

-Dr. Seuss
Old 02-20-2005, 05:18 AM   #11
amanda
old s'cool

nah... it wouldn't work.

think about it for a second.

there ya go.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:39 AM   #12
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

LOL @ Zen & Amanda.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:36 AM   #13
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle
The guy's a nudist and he's wearing a wristwatch. Just exactly what the hell is that supposed to represent freedom from, anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesnora
does is have to be an elegant silk scarf?

Or perhaps a shawl. Would a shawl seem whorish? or maybe a lovely pink chiffon wrap.

I love the fact the focus is on women in the article, specifically using adjectives like "elegant". Like women are automatically whores if naked, and they have to inform us of the opposite.

but they have elegant silk scarves!
Clothes may be optional, status symbols are not.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:01 AM   #14
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakujo's Fox
Clothes may be optional, status symbols are not.
Do you think he drives a Ferrari?

-Dr. Seuss
Old 02-20-2005, 07:09 AM   #15
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbabe
Do you think he drives a Ferrari?
Hard to tell from this angle.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote