ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 01:38 PM   #31
ch_burchill
monkey

You're not a knee jerk Republican.

You're in danger of becoming a knee jerk Democrat.

You're a reasonable person who likes to listen to both sides of an issue. It's a lonely life, isn't it?
ch_burchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:54 PM   #32
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Quote:
Originally posted by masterofNone

You're in danger of becoming a knee jerk Democrat.

But you're open to reason.

fairly accurate.

Ditto.

Fun start. Keep at it. I'm trying to figure out if it was my choice of sandwich or believing democrats are wimps that put me "in danger of becoming" rather than being a "full-blown" knee-jerk.

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:17 PM   #33
Loui
monkey

A few details:

No one answer will get you labelled as a jerk.

At this writing, you have to score at least 11 knee jerk points (for either side) to qualify. You have to score at least 13 "Not a Jerk" points to get that result. I upped this from 11 "Not a Jerk" points earlier today.

You also have to score at least 5 "Not a Jerk" points to avoid being called a jerk.

There are a total of 10 different resulting statements possible.
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:43 PM   #34
Saxifrage
monkey

Not a knee jerk republican

I am a knee jerk democrat

I am open to reason

Sounds about right to me
Old 06-04-2004, 06:05 PM   #35
lapietra
half baked

You're not a knee jerk Democrat.

You're a reasonable person who likes to listen to both sides of an issue. It's a lonely life, isn't it?

LOL!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:18 AM   #36
Willow Sylph
monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by lapietra

Same here. Interesting quiz, Loui
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #37
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Ya know, I meant to say this a loooong time ago on this subject: what with brokerage party politics embraced by all political parties in pretty much any western democracy, there's very little difference these days between the ideologies and platforms of the conservative and liberal. Most times the defining separation is so fine (and subject to abject flexibility to garner the most votes) that the ideology becomes more of a label than anything concrete.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:49 AM   #38
Saxifrage
monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by nycwriters
Ya know, I meant to say this a loooong time ago on this subject: what with brokerage party politics embraced by all political parties in pretty much any western democracy, there's very little difference these days between the ideologies and platforms of the conservative and liberal. Most times the defining separation is so fine (and subject to abject flexibility to garner the most votes) that the ideology becomes more of a label than anything concrete.
You are correct up to a point . The Republican party is almost identical to the Democratic party because they are all controlled by the same economic interests. However there is a huge difference between the individual conservative and liberal. It is that most people don't see or just won't admit that politics is politics, people seeking power for powers sake.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:03 AM   #39
masterofNone
________

i think it's a good thing that there is so little difference between the parties on most things. i mean, you hear a lot of grousing on the subjects. mostly from the folks out on the fringes of either party, and loudest from the lunatic fringe. but, y'know, you hear it most clearly from the mouth of ralph nader. there are folks that would like to change aspects of the established system in radical ways. and there are areas where i'm sympathetic.

but, see, i'm a sailor among other things. and there are lessons you can get from sailing that might apply. the only ships that can turn quickly are small ships. if you're a small ship you can come about and head off in a different direction without much forethought and without being disruptive to the other ships in the bay. but a larger craft needs to be more considerate because of their mass. a really big liner might need a few miles at full reverse just to come to a stop. making a change of heading requires a slow and deliberate turn. they can't just pick a point abeam and say "let's go that way."

a large country has a similar situation. we can't just turn away from our established policies so quickly. it would have a chaotic effect on so many areas and the impact would be unforseen and global. there are small differences in the parties but they're real. they amount to, maybe, two degree turns for the ship of state. but those two degrees can have a huge impact if applied with discipline and care.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:42 PM   #40
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Yeah but wouldn't it make more sense to have two very different platforms by which to determine votes? At least some distinction that the average person can suss out to help them when it comes time to vote?

But over the recent decades of political rivalry, parties have discovered that it's not so good to rock the boat, and it's best to develop policy that mimics the other guy's just because it garners the greater number of votes, potentially propelling them into office. You can't offend the left, the right, the interest groups, big biz, labor.... so you find a milktoast approach, never really developing a strong platform that shows the nation what you believe in.

That's not politics. There's no distinction, fundamentally, between either party, so in the end, when you vote, what are you voting for? You're voting for a label, much like going clothes shopping. When most people know that labels on clothing really don't matter -- it's what fits best.

As for political ideologies on a personal level, yeah Sax, I couldn't agree more. We see more disparities in platforms on the personal level, (where the individual has nothing to lose by holding distinct political views), than we see in any kind of election process.

I'm not sure that's right.

But don't get me wrong, this applies to politics in any democratic nation, not just the US.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:54 AM   #41
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Clinton Aide (closely resembling George Stephanopoulos): People are becoming a bit confused by the way you and your opponent are... well... constantly holding hands.
Alien Dole: We are merely exchanging long protein strings. If you can think of a simpler way, I'd like to hear it.

Clin-ton: We must go forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

***END TRANSMISSION***
Old 06-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #42
Loui
monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by nycwriters
Yeah but wouldn't it make more sense to have two very different platforms by which to determine votes? At least some distinction that the average person can suss out to help them when it comes time to vote?
Two very different platforms would make more sense if people didn't want generally the same things. In other words, the anti-education, pro-crime platform hasn't won in years.

A politician's success is determined not by what they do, but how they do it.
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:21 AM   #43
weissenflatz
It's just words I write

But you're open to reason
weissenflatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: