ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #106
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Novelty: Ask Red Cross where all the money donated during 9/11 went.

Smarty: It's for that very reason that I can't watch. Not because it makes me sad, although that is part of it.

But because the last 2 elections have taught me something about our government: *to the tune of 'Jimmy Cracked Corn'*

You can be outraged & we don't care
You can ask for a recall & we don't care
You can call bullshit & we don't care
The Right Wing got our way!

I am hoping things will change, but after being bitchslapped by the government the last 18 months trying to get aid in my personal life, as well as being bitchslapped in the last 2 elections when I KNOW Bush should not be in the White House today, I have a sort of defeatist view of our government. Some say I am too young to be this jaded. I say I am a product of my government's attitude in all this.

They knew last week at this time the "storm" would be bad. Why weren't the National Guard lined, up, with blankets, food, ice & water?

Someone has to answer these questions, but I already know what George is going to say: the same things he said about the memo he received in August 2001, predicting/warning him about 9/11. He didn't know. The information wasn't received in a timely manner. Etc.

While Air Force One was flying over the "devastation", why couldn't they pick a few hundred starving, destitute people up? And where is our First Lady during all of this?

I am, as ever, disgusted by our government. But I know that me being outraged & demanding answers isn't going to change anything. It never has. Why would it now?

Love both articles you posted.

My Humane Society is taking donations for the shelters & abandoned animals in the wake of Katrina.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #107
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
it's really hard to write or think about this right now, it's going to take some time to sink in. there's undoubtedly a lot of sense in the articles you posted smarty, there usually is. but all i can think about now are the poor and destitute swimming around in shit filled toxic water, watching corpses float by, surrounded by rampaging gangs and misery and hoping for salvation.
the rest is all for tomorrow....
Old 09-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #108
bealeblues
where's my salt?

your thoughts and well wishes do not go unnoticed.

as far as i'm concerned, the assessment of blame can wait until later. to me, the think tanks should be trying to come up with ways to salvage an already horrific situation that only promises to perpetuate far into the future once the disease sets in rather than spend that time debating on who's fault this is. stones can be thrown next year once the rebuilding is underway.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #109
surflugen
getting Donuts

Good to hear all is safe and sane with you and your kido. I hope you hear from your freind soon. What can you do for know. Will you be taking a vacation or will you do some volunteer help. I can imagine that even work will be put on hold for some time. I know the devistation is beyond comprehention but, as with Andrew, there is going to be a lot of work/jobs generated to get things back together. I am sure that it will be some sort of blessing for those who have been waiting for work for some time now.
surflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:46 PM   #110
zenbabe
Lollypop!

^^^^ unfortunatly, most of them are on their way to Houston..

Did you just hear? A bus left full of people on its way to Houston and it friggen flipped!

WTF!?!?!?

one died, a bunch were injured..jaysus, can it get any worse?

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 AM   #111
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

unfunny joke by me.
apologies to AP for the photo.

Old 09-03-2005, 01:23 AM   #112
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

True, so true, Aud.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:41 AM   #113
TinaBina
Mooooooooo

Ramblings from a heavy heart.

I went to the grocery store tonight.
It made me sick.
Here, in the dry North East, I can so easily take anything off the shelves and stuff my face if I so choose. So much there. So easy to get. It's disgusting.

I felt like I had no right. No right to have it so easy, with all the suffering occurring down south. I'm ashamed.

So many things that we take for granted here everyday... I'm angry with myself, with others around me. It is just the feeling coming forth... angry with the ease/availability of things while thousands are going without.

I donated $500 to help the victims of the hurricane. I still feel helpless.

Earlier this year, both of my parents died. This whole year has been awful. Their deaths and their illnesses leading up to it, and all the stress/despair/crisis mode I experienced surrounding that is so small now in comparison with the tragedy of the south. Of course.

But I have never felt so blessed to be able to turn on my light and have it shine, to open my faucet and have water come forth. I even feel blessed for being able to hold my mom as she died... and for seeing my dad the day before he died, bringing my daughter and husband to see him... and how much he smiled then.

And I have never felt so terribly guilty for feeling blessed.

Does this make sense????? It doesn't to me.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:37 AM   #114
Paris_Hilton
You wish you were me

Thats' Hot
Old 09-03-2005, 04:49 AM   #115
topcat
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris_Hilton
Thats' Hot
i know everyone is thinking this but i will be the one to say it.

paris hilton the best part of you dripped down your mothers leg.

This is an internet bulletin board.

Nothing more. Nothing less
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:56 AM   #116
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreyvgs
unfunny joke by me.
apologies to AP for the photo.

yeah, they're exactly the same
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:37 AM   #117
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaBina
Does this make sense????? It doesn't to me.
It makes total sense. I haven't been able to do anything without thinking that, whether it's brushing my teeth, cutting open a peach, or climbing into a bed with clean sheets. I don't think there's any one in this country who's seen and heard the news of the past few days (save for perhaps those in the Bush administration) who could be immune from exactly those feelings of both guilt and incredibly good fortune by contrast.

Keep your chin up. This isn't going to go away any time soon.

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #118
Frieda
in limbo

well, be grateful for everything you have and every day you live.. share and help where you can. you're doing just that, tinabina.. nothing wrong with that!

just browsed through the pictures on the washington post website, it looks just like the tsunami pics last christmas.. man, what a devastation!

sending good vibes to everyone there..

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #119
xfox
slightly effective

So glad to hear from Beal, and very sorry for his trouble.

The mayor ordered evacuation, but for the entire population, that obviously didn't succeed. A lot of contracts had to have a force majeure clause kick in.

I totally agree with Beal: we need good vibes and a "can do" attitude here now. Tinabina, I am sure you're not alone feeling the way you do. I, for one, second your sentiments and applaud your generousity. And it's that spirit that saves. Inch by inch, life's a cinch, yard by yard, life is hard. Time heals. Thoughts, words, actions, habits, character, destiny.

We can overcome bad karma, but not with bad karma. Maybe I'm talking to myself here, but I've heard that accentuating the positive helps (along with money, otherwise known as stored labor). Beal, you, and your neighbors are in my thoughts.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #120
Con ate dog
some guy

4 days without potable water, trapped in an underwater city. A complete breakdown of law and order. No way to even guess at the death toll. A mammoth outbreak of disease sure to follow.

I'm racking my brains to think how this whole thing could have been worse. When I read that so many people were simply too poor to make their way out of town, I don't even know what to say.

Glad you're okay, Beale. Sorry about all the horrible things you're seeing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: