ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT > collaborative short story
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 07:56 PM   #76
noxxville
Disco Maven

Not to be anal here, but this is the environment (at the time) that we're working in:

Total US population of just over 7 million at this point.

Total populaion of children under 10: About 2 mil

Since, at this time, we're only dealing with Connecticut, Deleware, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolinal, Tennessee, Vermont and Virginia....we can probably safely rule out west and for the most part central. Sure there were people there, but with the limitaions of the government and postal service, we have to work within that realm to start.

That being said. I call Jackson. I'm starting Jackson at about 5, with the mother assisting in the letter writing to start. Also, given the logistics and the timeframe it takes for letters to get from A to B, we have a lot of room to grow characters between letters. Especially since Jackson's family is on the cutting edge and currently on the move to Ohio.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #77
noxxville
Disco Maven

Man.....I can take the fun out of anything....

I can tell you now that this is going to take me a while......if one of you has something bubbling up, feel free to jump in and take the first whack.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #78
Anna
n

so far so good!
Perhaps we should set a limit, unless someone says don't stop?

....wait, hold on there, 5? Are you also going to be his mother?

I will take up Jackson's maiden Aunt, she has moved to Illinois with the family from the Ohio Valley. She is 18 years of age and the 7th child of 13. Not all who have survived. She loves to eat hot spicy Thai food and on occasion will... oh, wait, wrong planet, nevermind.

Last edited by Anna : 06-27-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #79
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

Right! You two did HALF your homework. Don't make me come over there with a ruler to crack you on the knuckles!

Anna: We're still looking for our characters' locations (based on what Noxx provided that should be a snap).

Noxx: How about some relationships between these folks? Since you and Anna chose ages already for yours, I'm making Charlie 12. Anna seems to have laid some ground work for her and Jackson, but that leaves Charlie and Jackson as well as Charlie and Margaret.

As for the time limit. I'd like to see us do this exercise for at least 30 days. The span of time should be somewhat determined by expected life span during the Mid 1800s. Noxx, since you're the self-appointed historian of our trio, how about you kick down some stats for us to work from?

Once we get these last details down, I'd like Noxx to jump off this cliff first, with his letter. Baptism of fire, baby! Anna and I will jump in easily.

LET'S DO THIS THING!

SB

Last edited by Sunnybunny : 06-28-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Sunnybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #80
noxxville
Disco Maven

Ealiest I see (admittedly with a quick look) is from 1850 and puts the average (male and female combined) at 39.5. May sound low, but is largely due to a horrible mortality rate at birth. Life expectancy for someone who has reached age 20 is about 50% higher, so roughly 58-60 ish.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #81
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

Another suggestion...

If I may, I'd like to suggest that we move ahead a bit in history. I think the 1800s would be an amazing period to attack, but perhaps a bit advanced for what we're doing (based on the historical info we've gotten thus far). For my part, I would want to the characters to strictly converse in the language used at the time and that would probably involve a bit more research than what I had in mind for this.

I'd like us to consider, maybe, the 1920s, 1930s or 1940s. I think those time frames are modern enough to not have to do too much research and offer some interesting life elements that don't involve the cliched stuff I mentioned us avoiding.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #82
Anna
n

welp, I'm fine with anything, but it might change a few things: industrial vs. agrarian, women's rights, child labour, the new deal, the great depression, WWI, WWII, education, the vast expansion of the US. This is a whole new ball of wax. I say letís settle on a date/year and then define the names. I like the idea of developing characters based on their name and how it fits into their personality, "what's in a name?", i.e. like who they were named after, what their name means, the temperament that goes along with their name, etc... So after a date is chosen, sunny bunny I nominate you, letís divvy up and develop the names based on their meaning. A short bio of each person should then be tied into the history and events of their lives thus, connecting their relationships to each other, unless you have other ideasÖ

Here is my suggestion:
1. time and place.
2. name
3. small bio
4. relationship to each other
5. letters or story
Old 06-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #83
Brynn
constantly amazed

Fly on the wall, lurking around

Just think of me as a cheerleader here ...

(glad you said that about names, Anna - I was having trouble picturing anyone naming their son anything but a biblical name in the 1800's).

As you were....
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #84
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

Okay, I think this has officially gotten over complicated. The point of the letter writing exercise was to develop the characters as we go. Sort of an improvisational form of writing. While I agree that a person's name says a lot about them, what people are called often differs in relationship, age, social status, etc. and getting too deeply into the meanings would muddle things for me. If that's what works for you, terrific. Another point was to develop our characters in whatever way is comfortable to our style of writing. Hence writing letters, versus a story where we would have to confine ourselves to the style determined by whomever started the story.

Let's stop discussing and start this thing if we're going to do it.

If we are... it's 1935, my character is Charles/Charlie, he lives in New York city, he's 18, he is a friend of Margaret's family.

Noxx: a five year old doesn't have too many people he would correspond with. Is that the age you'd like to stick with? There's little room for a relationship between Charles and Jackson, if so.

What do you say? Let's get the first letter going by end of day Friday. Anna, since you've spent the most time on your character, I nominate you to get the ball rolling.

SB
Old 06-29-2006, 12:42 AM   #85
Anna
n

Well I gave thought to a character in the early 1800's, so I need to rethink this one a bit. I would also like to know what Noxx plans to do. Sunny, why don't you start the ball rolling so we have a better idea of what style of writing you are aiming at, then latch on to that.

Brynn don't stand on the side lines, cheerleading indeed! Who do you think you are George Bush? Hop in the fire is nice and toasty
Old 06-29-2006, 02:51 AM   #86
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

Actually, I think it's best if I just bow out at this point. I was looking to do something far less difficult and involved than what this is turning into and all the back and forth is making me cranky. Maybe it's just that I've not communicated the vision of what this is all about (having been left to come up with a plan), and I take responsibility for that.

So in the spirit of keeping things happy and light amd positive, I'm gonna take my cranky butt out of the picture and pick up my pom poms to cheer on the side.

I'll look forward to reading what you guys come up with!!!!

Have fun! Best of luck!!!!

SB
Old 06-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #87
diane
mine

is the divorce story out of the window?

I liked the idea of divorce (does anyone but me always hear Dolly Parton when they spell D.I.V.O.R.C.E?)

It conjured up an idea of a 13 to 14 year old with the newly established lesbian mama who finally calls it a day with her marriage, its all very amicable between the parents the dad is cool and secure in himself, but the kid has issues with the situation which leads to drama.

13 years old is struggling to find her identity, she has the perfect life which suddenly all comes crashing down around her. The dad embarks on a midlife crisis, gets a girlfriend half his age, trades in the family volvo for a sportscar and the mom is like a love sick teenager. Kid gets in with the wrong crowd, kid has gone from the model A grade student to the complete opposite in retaliation of her parents which causes them to consider boarding school as a possible option. The moms new girlfriend turns out to be the saving grace and pulls it all back together again earning the respect of the kid...
diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #88
diane
mine

BTW

sorry meant to say hi first - I'm new here...still looking around, please let me know if I get the process of how it all works wrong x
Old 06-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #89
diane
mine

1st attempt...

A perfect detatched house, long lush green lawns either side of a grand sweeping driveway that leads to the front door, a kid runs ups the stairs turning briefly to scream towards a room "I HATE YOU - You freak" tears streaming down her face, she turns and continues to stomp up the stairs. The parents sit at the dining table turn to each other "well that went well" he says, with a small smile and a gentle squeeze of her hand.
"Oh Eddie, she hates me" she says
he says "she was always going to hate us for something - you can't change who you are Abigail, we just have to ride the storm, Madaline will come round you'll see"

Upstairs Madaline is fuming, biting her nails, she reaches for the phone half dials then slams the phone down again, who the hell is she supposed to call, this isn't a boyfriend break up or a couple of extra pounds on the scales, her mother is a lesbian, a fvcking muff diving lesbian, it's so gross, she'll never live it down, this would ruin her...she was usually on the right end of the nasty retorts and bitching at school, she had no misconceptions of how relentlessly evil girls could be, she wrote the damn book, she felt sick, like normal sick not two fingers down the throat after dessert sick but uncontrolled stomach churning. A knock at the door, "Go Away" she says through gritted teeth, her father pops his head around the door, she turns on him with the venom of a snake and screams " GO AWAY" spit flying out of her mouth, he recoils in fear bringing the cordless phone up as a possible defence barrier "Its for you Maddy", she snatches the phone from his hand and slams the door shut.
"Hello"
"Maddy, are you ok? it's Casey"
"I'm fine"
"Your dad told me Mads"
Madaline blinks in disbelief, Casey had been her best friend since 1st grade but she wasn't the type of person you entrusted your secrets to, it would be all over town by supper - what the hell was he thinking.
"Casey, this is not for public knowledge, do you understand? I'm serious, you tell a soul about this and I'll make you sorry"
"Jeez Mads, its not like they killed anyone - divorce isn't a big deal, it's pretty cool actually, Sandie's parents got divorced last April and she got a whole new wardrobe, you better start making a list babe, the parent guilt machine is about to go into overdrive"
So her dad wasn't a complete moron after all...
"yeah you're right, two lots of Christmas presents and all that, great" Madaline said with little enthusiasm but managing to covered her out burst as best she could...She needed a plan though, this couldn't get out...oh god she felt sick again...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #90
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

Hi Diane!!! WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Yeah, we put the divorce thing to sleep a while back. Currently Anna and Noxx and maybe Brynn are working on another project. Take a look at recently past postings to see what they're up to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: