ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT > collaborative short story
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 12:46 AM   #121
noxxville
Disco Maven

Barely Legible . . . .

Charlotte,

Recieved your telegram. Hopefully the funds will suffice.

No time

They have found me

Believe nothing they tell you.....

-Charles
Old 07-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #122
noxxville
Disco Maven

Illinois Department of Human Services
100 S Grand Ave
Springfield, IL 62762

July 15, 2006

Ms. Hamerton,

We regret to inform you that you brother, Charles Hamerton, has been placed into our care and has been relocated to the Waterton Psychiatric Hospital in Skokie, IL. You brother was found in a delusional state and it was deemed necessary to commit him, for his own safety, against his will.

Attempts to contact you have proven unsuccessful. It is imparativethat you contact my office the moment you recieve this letter.

Sincerely,

Lindsey Campbell
Illinois Department of Human Services
100 S Grand Ave
Springfield, IL 62762
lcampbell@dhs.il.us.gov
Old 07-18-2006, 04:43 AM   #123
Anna
n

HOLY CRAP!

the wheel's turning, but the gerbil is dead...
i'll be right back.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #124
Anna
n

September 10th, 1937

Dear Ms Tanner,

I am writing to you with the burden of a heavy heart, full of regret in regards to my letter of last. Far from excuses, akin to poor manners and severe judgment, requiring such a heartless and abrupt reply, you did not deserve such contempt. I only hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive and will continue to read on.

In all confidence I am in a near state of panic, my mind can not get around these events and to convey this state in any meaningful way regarding the measures that have transpired would be incomprehensible to almost any living creature. I realize that my last message to you seemed final, however, the confounding tribulations that have occurred compel, and I must beseech your help.

I received a most alarming letter from a Mr. Campbell, of which I have enclosed. I had wired several telegrams and sent correspondence nearly a dozen times to this gentleman, all of my written efforts have been returned, occupant unknown. One of the town folk, a good man by the name of Jessup Storms had taken to the road. By foot, truck and jalopy, day and night, relying upon the kindness of strangers he traveled over 700 miles to reach the state capital of Springfield, Illinois hoping to find the author of the letter. He has returned this day unavailing and empty handed. The address, which is finely typed on the stationary, was not a government building as we had thought, but a livery stable attached to a fire house. All of our efforts have been in vain. Dear Ms. Tanner, Margot, I am at my wits end and beg for your assistance, hoping against hope that you will succeed where we have failed in locating this man, and that through him we may find Charles safe and return him home with his loved ones again.

I realize this is an enormous burden I have put upon you and I regret any intrusion and discomfort this letter may cause, but I implore and beg for your assistance. You are my last hope. You once called me your distant friend, I pray that we shall quicken our friendship and diminish the distance between us.

God Bless You and Keep You.

Sincerely,
Charlotte Hamerton

Last edited by Anna : 07-22-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #125
diane
mine

21st July 2006

Dear Charlotte,

I will waste no time, the content of your previous letter is forgotten please do not worry yourself with what is in the past as we have now establish, are you.

I have emailed Lindsay Campbell and have received confirmation that your brother Charles is indeed a patient. Your brother has somehow made it through to 2006 where your friend Jessup Storms has failed. I have looked up city records and can confirm that the site where Illinois Department of Human Services now stands was indeed a livery stable attached to a fire house some many years ago.

I have no way to explain this strange occurance but for now we must put this aside and concentrate on a solution to help your brother who must be very confused and alone.

I extend an offer to help in any way that I can, however I must be careful as any sign of my supporting your brothers claims could see me end up on the wrong side of the hospital along with him and this would not benefit either of us.

I have requested a vistors permit to see your brother, I must admit that I have been less than honest with the hospital regarding my identity and have given your name hoping that your brother will accept my request. I need help with this Charlotte, I have no way of knowing how your brother will react when he sees me, I need some way to prove to him that I am a friend trying to help and not someone merely impersonating you. Any memory that you share that is personal to just yourself and Charles, any secrets you share, I need a way to convince him that I am in contact with you.

As I suspected these events are altering history. The local bar I told you about in our earlier correspondence is no longer named in your brother memory and the pictures inside document an horrific fire that broke out at the steel works on 7th April 1936, hundreds died some as young as 12 years old.

The sooner we get your brother back to hsi own time the better it will be for all concerned.

Your friend

Margot Tanner
Old 07-23-2006, 03:49 AM   #126
Anna
n

October 4th, 1937

Dear Margot,

Please accept my deepest apologies, I am eternally grateful that you have found it within your heart to forgive my thoughtlessness. There were no excuses for my outlandish behaviuor, I am truly sorry if I have offended you in any way. I hope you understand that I have been bewildered by the events that have taken place, I am not myself as of late. I worry day and night for the sake of my own sanity, tortured by thoughts of Charles in such a place, sometimes it is more than I can bare. I do not even know where to begin, only that, if you knew my brother, you would know he suffers greatly.

Can you tell me how all this came about? As a child I heard tell of the tales of HG Wells, is it now possible that traveling through time no longer lives in the disguise of a fanciful imagination, but is now indeed fact ? Have the great thinkers of our age succeeded in such fantastic endeavors? I wish not to belabour you with all of these inquiries, but I am wholly deficient in the knowledge of the future and must know what has instigated the activity set forth by these events. I ask also for your assured and complete confidence, for any word of what has now transpired between us must never reach the ears of the elders, the consequences would make banishment certain, setting us as outcasts forever.

I will confide in you this, Charles and I are twins. As a young child he was very quiet, some say slow. However, to me he appeared as a lost angel who always looked as just awaken from a dream. Charles was never completely in this world, but somehow I always knew what occupied his mind. He spoke much later than I and struggled articulating many words, especially my name. Unable to address what was given to me by baptism, I became known to him as Lotte. To this day he is the sole possessor, no one in the family otherwise has been allowed to address me as such. Charles has many strange and unusual gifts, but we have long been forbidden to speak of those. He and I hold many secrets, one that I hope will guarantee a certain trust and will share with you at this time. I can not say in great detail all that surrounds this secret, however, if you speak the words, “Jesus Wept,” this may convince and carry forward a secure amount of his trust.

I do not wish to burden or cause imposition, nor would I have you push pen to plow in hast, once you are made aware of his temperament and the state of his condition, but know that I anxiously await your reply.

My dear Margot, you are in my prayers,

God Bless You,
Charlotte

Last edited by Anna : 07-25-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #127
Anna
n

I was just made aware of this movie, The Lake House (spoiler alert) . There seems to be some obvious similarities to our letter campaign, so much so, that it might be time for a few radical changes somewhere soon. I’ve a bit of a Tolstoy Goethe bent in my nature, having spent time with both of them on Jupiter, so I’m all for moving towards a dramatic philosophical tragedy; star wars meets stephen king on a hot tin roof. so if anyone wished to start pushing in a different direction, moving away from the USPS time machine before someone goes postal, the time is nigh….
Old 07-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #128
diane
mine

Memo

Attention: Dr Miller, Dr Cathcart, Ms Freeman (Social Services Rep)

Case # 42076 Tanner. M

I fear that we are no closer to a suitable treatment for the above patient. 42076 insistant reference to 1936 is ongoing and I feel we have exhausted all possible drug treatments with little or no effect.

As previously recommended we must now begin to look into alternative treatments and I would like to begin a course of electric shock treatment to investigate the effect on bringing 42076 out of the deep ongoing pychosis. We will have to go through the legal process as 42076 did not concent to invasive procedures when she voluntarily entered the clinic but based on the patients file I do not see that this will be problematic.

I recommend that 42076 be declared of unsound mind and power of attorney be signed over to her brother Philip Tanner who is in full agreement of my findings and recommendations.

I am aware of Ms Freemans' & Dr Millers reluctance to persue this avenue of treatment but with all due respect we have delayed the inevitable for long enough and I feel we have exhausted their choosen methods.

A meeting has been arranged for 30th July to finalise this proposal and will be attended by Mr Tanner and myself. Please submit all opinions before this date.

Dr Mark Burns Ph.D, FACP ACP
Old 07-26-2006, 01:07 AM   #129
noxxville
Disco Maven

ATTN: Dr. Mark Burns

Mr. Burns,

My name is Charles Hamerton. You may recognize the name from the writings of a Ms. Tanner that is under your care. I'm afraid that she has come into contact with my sister by accident and that she is, unknowingly, participating in a psychotic delusion that has plagued my sister for some time. I'm afraid that Charlotte (my sister) has been convinced that she is living in the 1930s for several years now. This all began after her husband attempted to take his own life. Since then, and after many unsuccessful treatments, we have simply resorted to "feeding" this delusion by acting as if all of us were living in this time. We are from a very small community, and the dear people that she sees frequently have all helped us maintain this facade for her. It may seems silly (we came upon the idea in a bad romantic comedy that we saw a few years back), but it has kept her happy and, until her psychiatrists (she calls them the elders) can come up with some new treatments, we feel that this is the only way to keep her with us.

I was required to move for business purposes and she became convinced that something horrible had happened to me. In a bit of frustration, I sent her a letter that I deeply regret, which I am sure has led to her current state. I fear that her correspondence may have compromised a patient of yours, and for that I apologize.

I will do my best to ensure that she no longer writes to Ms. Tanner. Please feel free to call me to discuss this matter furhter.

Sincerely,

C. Hamerton
Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 AM   #130
noxxville
Disco Maven

The above letter was going to go to Margaret.......but all of a sudden, she was crazy too......
Old 07-26-2006, 01:13 AM   #131
noxxville
Disco Maven

Here's the thing, we'll never hit interaction like this.....just various forms of written communication.

I agree....new direction is required.......anyone?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 AM   #132
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Well, I'm heading west in two days for a couple of weeks. So, that's all the direction I have. Sorry.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #133
Anna
n

November 23rd 1937

Dearest Margot,

It is the end of November the wind grows cold, winter is fast approaching. My concerns are increasing for I haven’t heard hide nor hare from you over these many weeks. Are you ill? Does some event prevent you from writing? Have you been able to speak to Charles? I am thinking and praying for you both.

Yours Truly,
Charlotte
Old 07-26-2006, 02:29 AM   #134
Anna
n

December 16, 1937

Dear Margot,

I am wrought with fear, the letter I sent last month has returned unopened and stamped, Occupant Unknown. If you receive this letter please respond and let me know your whereabouts as soon as possible, it is urgent. The children and I are heading north to Topeka to stay with our aunt. Her name is Imogene Maud Page and she is a telephone subscriber, her directory is DDP516. You may call at our expense. We are desperately waiting for any word. God Bless.

Sincerely,
Charlotte

Last edited by Anna : 07-26-2006 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:39 AM   #135
Anna
n

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxxville
My name is Charles Hamerton. You may recognize the name from the writings of a Ms. Tanner that is under your care. I'm afraid that she has come into contact with my sister by accident and that she is, unknowingly, participating in a psychotic delusion that has plagued my sister for some time.
You made me Nutz?!

Curses!

Nice twist though. Sorta mean, now I'm gonna end up in some social services home full of roaches and rats. Look Bro, I'm expecting a room at the Ritz or the Palmer House. On your new salary you can afford it

btw, did you figure out my jokes for nerds in the letters?

Last edited by Anna : 07-26-2006 at 02:43 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: