FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2004, 01:31 AM   #1
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Say a prayer for the russian children here

We can't do much else for them.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:39 AM   #2
rmr

it's so awful i'm not sure what to say.....i have said a prayer and i will say a few more........i really hope it turns out well.
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

I know, it's horrendous. And ONGOING ... the planes, the bombing ... it's horrific.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:43 AM   #4
rmr

please let us know if you get any info
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

They just announced that they heard two large explosions from within the school. Nothing else is known for sure. At least that is what was on my local news.
news
Old 09-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
Spicy Jack
Brains! Brains!

Damn it. All that I saw on the news was that Kobe crap. Stupid news.
Spicy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:33 PM   #7
Frieda
in limbo

they let 26 women and children out, then there were 2 explosions after which black smoke came out of the school.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
Zaftig
monkey

This is just completely horrible.

Here's another article.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe...ool/index.html
Old 09-02-2004, 02:43 PM   #9
Willow Sylph
monkey

Has anyone heard anymore? There were many more kids in that school, weren't there?

I know what you mean, Spicy. All I've heard about on the news is the Kobe Bryant case. Sheez.
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"

Last edited by Willow Sylph : 09-02-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Frieda
in limbo

still over 350 people in the school, they say

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:53 PM   #11
Zaftig
monkey

The article I just posted is from 45 minutes ago on CNN so it should be the most updated. I can't find anything more recent than that. *shrugs*
Old 09-02-2004, 02:54 PM   #12
Willow Sylph
monkey

Cr@p!
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
Zaftig
monkey

I know. I keep hoping I'll find something better. . .
Old 09-02-2004, 05:56 PM   #14
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

'50 kids for every
dead fighter'

BY BILL HUTCHINSON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

The haunting look of a mother afraid for her child’s life. She is among the parents waiting outside school in Beslan, where terrorists - many wearing suicide belts - are using child hostages as human shields.

They rushed to school - 1,000 mothers and fathers - panic, anger, confusion or terror etched on their faces.
Heavily armed terrorists, some wearing suicide bomb belts, had come to their town in southern Russia yesterday and taken hundreds of their kids hostage on the first day of school.

They used the students, some just 7 years old, as human shields to demand the release of anti-government militants.

"I've been here all day, waiting for anything," said Svetlana Tskayeva, whose grown daughter and three grandchildren, ages 10, 6 and 6 months, were inside the school.

"It's awful, it's frightening," she said.

Some parents had to be restrained as they desperately tried to reach their sons and daughters. Others flinched and dived for cover at the crackle of sporadic gunfire.

"Every gunshot I hear is like a shot into my heart," said one tearful mother.

The kidnappers forced children to stand at windows to keep police at bay. As many as nine people, including a father described as a former European wrestling champ, were shot dead as they tried to resist the takeover, officials said. Two corpses could be seen sprawled on the grass near the school.

Marina Dzhibilova, whose two sons were being held captive, looked to the heavens for help.

"We pray to God that this may end without [more] bloodshed," Dzhibilova cried.

An estimated 336 hostages - kids, parents and teachers - were taken captive in a bloody morning siege at Middle School1 in Beslan, in southern Russia’s North Ossetia region, which borders the rebellious region of Chechnya.

The militants, believed to be either Chechen rebels or members of a band of radical Islamists, issued a chilling threat that left rescuers paralyzed as night fell.

"They have said that for every fighter wiped out they will kill 50 children, and for every fighter wounded, 20," a government official said, adding that the kidnappers rejected offers of food and water for the hostages. The terrorists assured authorities "the health of the child hostages is satisfactory."

The rebels, several believed to be women, also vowed to blow up the school if police moved in.

The ordeal began about 9 a.m., when as many as 20 militants opened fire with automatic weapons as they rushed the two-story building during a ceremony marking the beginning of the school year.

"I was standing near the gates, music was playing, when I saw three armed people running with guns. At first I thought it was a joke when they fired in the air," teenager Zarubek Tsumartov told Russian TV.

About 50 children and several adults hid in a boiler room and later managed to escape. One little girl, wearing a flower-patterned dress and a red bow in her hair, bolted from the school and was carried to safety by an armed police officer.

As authorities brainstormed with officials in Moscow, including President Vladimir Putin, who had returned from a vacation on the Black Sea, parents massed outside the school and demanded the government give the terrorists what they want.

Still fresh on their minds was the botched 2002 rescue of hostages at a Moscow theater. Though several hundred captives were saved, more than 100 died when rescuers gassed the theater to knock out the kidnappers.

The crisis comes a day after a female suicide bomber blew herself up outside a Moscow subway station, killing nine people and wounding dozens.

Last week, a group calling itself Islambouli Brigades - a shadowy, pro-Chechen terrorist group with Al Qaeda ties - claimed responsibility for the almost simultaneous midair bombings of two Russian airliners that killed 90 people.

Last night, parents sent a video to Putin pleading for him to win the safe return of their children.

The militants were demanding the release of all Chechen rebels arrested in June during raids in Russia's Ingushetia republic. They also demanded the withdrawal of all Russian troops from Chechnya.

Putin has taken an unyielding hard line with terrorists in the past, refusing to buckle to demands. But security people at the scene said the children's safety was their top concern.

As the hours went by, the kidnappers asked to speak with Dr. Leonid Roshal, a well-known Russian pediatrician, who tried to mediate a resolution to the Moscow theater siege. The 70-year-old doctor was on the scene last night.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:56 PM   #15
lapietra
half baked

Oh jeez...
I listened to music instead of the news this morning...
I can't understand why people do such horrible things... why do they think doing horrible things to get what they want is okay?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: