ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2002, 01:06 AM   #1
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

Weird Dreams/Nightmares

So I have lots of weird dreams and nightmares, and I suspect many of you do, too. I think they're kinda funny to share. Here's my first one:

This has been a recurring nightmare since I took sophomore organic chemistry. I'm in some sort of molecule land, where all of these molecules are bigger than I am. They are all line representations- where lines represent bonds, carbon is assumed to be at any unlabeled point, and the other atoms are represented by their chemical symbols (O, I, P, S, etc.) where they occur in the molecule. Line representations aren't what real molecules look like, but whatever. So I know I'm supposed to be doing a synthesis and showing the mechanism with these molecules, but I'm not even sure what synthesis I'm supposed to be doing because I'm fixated on a heterocycle in front of me. (A heterocycle is a ring shaped molecule with two or more types of atoms as ring members.) One of the atoms in a ring is iodine. Iodine can only bind to one other atom, and in order to be a member of a ring, it has to be bound to two atoms, one on each side of it. So the whole time I'm sitting there freaking out because all the chemical principles I know are being violated, and then I wake up in a cold sweat.

And yes, I know I'm a winner.
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 02:08 AM   #2
lapietra
half baked

ooohhhh-kaaaaayyyy-eeeee.....

Oh! It took me a minute or two, but then I realized I could actually relate...
When I was in college, my love for cooking got around, and I eventually began to cater musical recitals regularly and then larger functions for the college... (but don't tell anyone... I didn't have a license! and I worked out of my apartment AND I had CATS!!!! Don't worry... no one ever got sick... I was *very* careful... and I don't do it anymore - not for money). So the receptions got bigger and bigger... I started doing a regular lunch for the Wednesday Music at Noon recitals; once I did meals for a three-day conference of 150 people or so, and another time a reception for the German institute; a couple of major political folks were having some kind of debate. Did I mention I worked ALONE?!? (And I wonder where all my energy has gone...) I would begin a few days before the event, do the shopping, begin preparation, often stay up the night before so everything would be fresh and tasty... and sometimes still preparing hors d'oeuvres right up until (and sometimes after!) people had begun to stream into the reception area.
ANYWAY, one of the reasons I had to quit (beside the fact that it was *totally* illegal under the circumstances and that I had other plans for my career) was that I started having these horrible recurring ordeal dreams... me, one-half hour before the performance was over, frantically searching the deli section of Trader Joe's for ready-made salads & hors d'oeuvres... then KNOWING people were coming into the reception area, that it was TOO LATE!!! and I was LETTING THE PERFORMERS DOWN!!! and they had already PAID ME!!! AUGGHHHHHH!!! What a relief to wake up and realize it was a dream... even more so than dreams of monsters when I was a kid.
Dreams are funny things. You totally lose your perspective on reality and what's really important... of course, then I worked for some entertainment companies and found out that that *is* reality for some people.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:29 AM   #3
Juicy

Talking my rotting teeth

Every so often I will have a dream about my teeth...

The dream is never the same, but in every one my teeth are all messed up. Sometimes my teeth are just really crooked. Sometimes they get all loose and bloody and start falling out.

I had a particularly disturbing teeth dream last night.
In my dream I had dentures. I pulled them out and looked at them. The teeth were disgusting... all yellowish with rotting black spots.

Does this mean I need to go to the dentist? Are my teeth a symbol for something that is going on in my life?
Juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:48 AM   #4
Reg Barkley

-

Last edited by Reg Barkley : 04-16-2003 at 03:12 AM.
Reg Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 11:54 AM   #5
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Juicyyyyy! My teeth fall out all of the tiiiiiiime!

Oh, and how frustrating that can be! Especially after all of those years with braces.

And I love how I'd just be wandering around and all the sudden I have a handful of teeth. Not so tasty, BTW.

Apperently, such dreams are a reflection of vainity/concern for apperance.

-Angie
AllegroNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:04 PM   #6
PHPGoddess
It gives me the jibblies.

Teeth Interpretation

OK, I remember from psychology way back when that teeth in a dream represent your consience or your relationships. There were different interpretations for the different things that happen to your teeth. But one of them was that you are lying about something to somebody (including yourself) and you are afraid of discovery and are trying to hide it. Don't remember if that was the falling out, the cracked, or the bleeding. HMMMMM
Old 10-03-2002, 03:00 PM   #7
lapietra
half baked

tooth dreams

I used to have tooth dreams, too... but nothing as horrific as yours, Juicy... and I haven't had one in awhile so I must have resolved whatever was going on...
I would have dreams where I would discover one of my teeth, always in the lower front, was loose. Typical of me, I would wiggle it and wiggle it and then it would come out. These dreams were so real... I would spend the rest of my dream trying to figure out what I was going to do about it...
I know... lightweight. Not that I wish to have any dreams that threaten to send me to an asylum...
Old 01-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #8
Large Marge
monkey

I have plane crash dreams.

Vivid, technicolor plane crash dreams.

I have them about once every two months.

I'm never the pilot, though; I'm always an observer on the ground.

In the last one, I was standing on the street I grew up on, and a huge 747 clearly wasn't going to make it to the airport runway (2 miles from my house, incidentally).

The plane got lower, and lower, and lower, and, in apparent slow-motion, proceded to crash land on my tiny little street.

As the plane descended, the wings were sheered off and a stream of jet fuel and flames shot out the back, as though it were really happening.

About 20 feet above the ground, just before impact, it zoomed right past me, about 100 feet away. I could see all the terrified faces of the passengers. They even had their little oxygen masks on in the dream.

I could even feel the heat from the flames.

What the hell does all that mean?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #9
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Last night I dreamed that I was at my sister's apartment, helping her sort purple-only laundry.

In the dream, Widespread Panic was on MTV, singing "Brimful of Asha on a 45" (most CERTAINLY NOT one of their songs) and I was singing along in the most beautiful singing voice (most CERTAINLY NOT mine).

????
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:12 AM   #10
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

I also often have dying-dreams.

The mode of death is always different, and largely irrelevant in the dream. It's the moment of death that I always remember.

Always the same: a huge moment of awareness, then regret, then awareness, and then largest big, physically warm feeling washing over my body.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #11
Large Marge
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby
I also often have dying-dreams.

The mode of death is always different, and largely irrelevant in the dream. It's the moment of death that I always remember.

Always the same: a huge moment of awareness, then regret, then awareness, and then largest big, physically warm feeling washing over my body.

Are you sure that's not urine?

I have never had a dream in which I died. In your dream, do you actually die, or do you just come right up to the edge of it?

And, do those dreams wake you up?

Last edited by Large Marge : 01-09-2005 at 08:35 AM.
Large Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #12
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Not really sure about the dying or almost-dying - in the dreams, that seems almost the same.

As far as waking up, no. I'm a solid sleeper, it takes a LOT to wake me. The dreams I remember happen when I've woken in the morning.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #13
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

For the past three months I have been having those dreams where at some point you are trying to get away from something and can't.
In the first of three I was about to be killed, I was standing by the screen door and could yell for help. I tried and nothing came out. I tried and tried. It was like I had laryngitis. Finally I could hear it as a raspy whisper. I took a deep breath and yelled help so loud I woke myself up. But I DID IT.
Then I had another and had to run. I couldn't move. I concentrated on my legs, and woke up kicking out.
The last one was last week. I yelled again.
It is like I am overcoming something big that has held me back. These dreams leave me feeling very empowered.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #14
chuckie egg
a peach

I had the most horrible nightmares last night. I can't even bring myself to type them out.
chuckie egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #15
xfox
slightly effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskuoch
This has been a recurring nightmare since I took sophomore organic chemistry. I'm in some sort of molecule land, where all of these molecules are bigger than I am. They are all line representations- where lines represent bonds, carbon is assumed to be at any unlabeled point, and the other atoms are represented by their chemical symbols (O, I, P, S, etc.) where they occur in the molecule. Line representations aren't what real molecules look like, but whatever. So I know I'm supposed to be doing a synthesis and showing the mechanism with these molecules, but I'm not even sure what synthesis I'm supposed to be doing because I'm fixated on a heterocycle in front of me. (A heterocycle is a ring shaped molecule with two or more types of atoms as ring members.) One of the atoms in a ring is iodine. Iodine can only bind to one other atom, and in order to be a member of a ring, it has to be bound to two atoms, one on each side of it. So the whole time I'm sitting there freaking out because all the chemical principles I know are being violated, and then I wake up in a cold sweat.

And yes, I know I'm a winner.
Sask - You are a brilliant young student who clearly understands your subject. You enlightened my understanding of organic chemisty ten-fold, but I must be careful, because a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

IMO your dream is that you are in a world of chemicals/organisms like a beaker on a stirring machine. Bonding is what all young people naturally do. They are in a sea of themselves looking over their scene and trying for connections at the highest level of adequacy possible in the best of worlds. The abstract nature of your dream is facinating. My work has to do with chemical sterilization of microorganisms for medical devices, but I do not have a college level education. So you can imagine that your nice and simple explaination of how chemicals behave is interesting. Not so different from macro organisms, really.

I also am totally amazed and impressed with lapietra's past endeavors! No wonder she is so well liked! Food is love in my book, even if I don't live to eat.

My dreams vary from moderately to very frustrating mundane situations. I have dreamed I was able to fly (like Superman) a few times and woke up reluctantly to a dream this morning of sailing on a large America's Cup class boat with my boss's handsome son...dare I, or anybody else try interperting that???
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: